8.2 Beasts

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Wain »

I guess they could be given their own family. It’s just there’s nothing about them physically that fits with the serpent family, other than a long body. They may as well classify shark rays as birds of prey because they can fly.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Wain wrote:I guess they could be given their own family. It’s just there’s nothing about them physically that fits with the serpent family, other than a long body. They may as well classify shark rays as birds of prey because they can fly.
Agreed. I'm hoping that them being in the Serpent family is just temporary and there are other plans. I personally wouldn't mind them being an Exotic pet, seeing as they are rather exotic and use electricity in their attacks and defenses, which is more than what worms can do. If not an exotic, then they should still have their own family. They are too different from any other existing family.
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

I'm BM on my main but if we're being honest.. nothing about worms as a whole says exotic. Sure make them worms if you want but worms don't need to be exotic. Blizzard's families are so messed up what is exotic and what isn't that it isn't even funny. I could tame a freaking hydra as a survival or mm hunter but not a freaking worm, are you kidding me? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

The exotic specification makes sense actually, I hadn't thought of it that way, but I do hope Serpent's just a placeholder in that case because they feel like they should have their own family, especially since they should have some sort of unique lighting ability.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Speaking of beasts in 8.2, I checked on tamed Marsh Gulpers/Bufo/Stunted Direhorns on the PTR, and it seems they're still bugged and shrunk sadly :( Hopefully a patch can fix them up to a proper size someday.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote:
Wain wrote:I guess they could be given their own family. It’s just there’s nothing about them physically that fits with the serpent family, other than a long body. They may as well classify shark rays as birds of prey because they can fly.
Agreed. I'm hoping that them being in the Serpent family is just temporary and there are other plans. I personally wouldn't mind them being an Exotic pet, seeing as they are rather exotic and use electricity in their attacks and defenses, which is more than what worms can do.
I've been wondering for some time if different models, or even individual NPCS, in the same family could be configured to have different damage types, even though they still do the same amount of damage. Maybe they could all still do physical damage + another type. For example, some chimaeras (in the game, not as pets) do electrical (= nature) damage and others do frost (and I think others do fire, and maybe even acid/nature?). Hydras display a similar range of damage types. In the case of worms, most have acid attacks, while tidal guardians (if they were classed as worms) are electrical, and both these types are just nature damage. Spirit Beasts could do arcane damage. Void Stalkers could do shadow damage instead of the usual type for warp stalkers.

Family special abilities would have to be configured to give different wording depending on the individual's attack type.

I don't know if this is feasible (could the game query the damage types of their spells?) but it would give pets in the same family a little more variety, in an interesting way.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That'd be interesting if they could do that. :)
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Wain wrote:
Valnaaros wrote:
Agreed. I'm hoping that them being in the Serpent family is just temporary and there are other plans. I personally wouldn't mind them being an Exotic pet, seeing as they are rather exotic and use electricity in their attacks and defenses, which is more than what worms can do.
I've been wondering for some time if different models, or even individual NPCS, in the same family could be configured to have different damage types, even though they still do the same amount of damage. Maybe they could all still do physical damage + another type. For example, some chimaeras (in the game, not as pets) do electrical (= nature) damage and others do frost (and I think others do fire, and maybe even acid/nature?). Hydras display a similar range of damage types. In the case of worms, most have acid attacks, while tidal guardians (if they were classed as worms) are electrical, and both these types are just nature damage. Spirit Beasts could do arcane damage. Void Stalkers could do shadow damage instead of the usual type for warp stalkers.

Family special abilities would have to be configured to give different wording depending on the individual's attack type.

I don't know if this is feasible (could the game query the damage types of their spells?) but it would give pets in the same family a little more variety, in an interesting way.
I support this whole heartedly. I want a fire damage % implemented for my dragonhawk and its basic attack renamed into dragon hawk breath!
syiler
Realm: Outland Alliance

Unread post by syiler »

Found a tamable crab in Nazjatar

This was Needlespine a rare found just to the left of The Tidal Conflux. Nothing noteworthy regarding the tame.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Excellent! There is hope for more after all.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Tide Guardians are now members of the Worm family.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

New Hermit Crabs are tamable with today's build

It looks like the rest of the Spider Crabs have been made tamable today.

The new hydras are now tamable

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Have any of you tested taking the black level 121 snapdragons, it tells me they’re to high of a level to tame, and I love the black one
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

worgpower wrote:Have any of you tested taking the black level 121 snapdragons, it tells me they’re to high of a level to tame, and I love the black one
Yeah, that one and the Matriarch cannot be tamed until the next xpac, unless their lvls are lowered. :/
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Looks like I can’t complete my black reptile collection for now, imma have to tame a white panthara along with a white snapdragon
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

I'm guessing both the 7.3.5 Silithids in Silithus and the Abyssal Worms in Nazjatar are still untameable?
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Qraljar wrote:I'm guessing both the 7.3.5 Silithids in Silithus and the Abyssal Worms in Nazjatar are still untameable?
Correct. I checked both :/

That being said, the Abyss Worms are in the serpent family. I don’t recall if they were originally or not.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Valnaaros wrote:
Qraljar wrote:I'm guessing both the 7.3.5 Silithids in Silithus and the Abyssal Worms in Nazjatar are still untameable?
Correct. I checked both :/

That being said, the Abyss Worms are in the serpent family. I don’t recall if they were originally or not.
I'm honestly just gonna give up on the Silithids. I'd really like one that isn't a garish red, but hey, I'm not a cat lover so I guess it only makes sense for me to wait 1,3 years for them to even flick the tameability switch on something that should've been tameable, well- over a year ago.

Holding out hope for Abyss Worms, still, I guess. Serpent family makes sense for them, whereas worm makes sense for Tidal Guardians. Not sure if them being added to the serpent family is a new development, though. I'm sure Wain would know more about that- here's hoping..
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Re: 8.2 Beast

There are some beasts on the unused looks that are used, like the real snapdragon and the black & yellow tidal guardian(I have on the PTR), brown and gray snapdragon is used aswell
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Re: 8.2 Beast

worgpower wrote:There are some beasts on the unused looks that are used, like the real snapdragon and the black & yellow tidal guardian(I have on the PTR), brown and gray snapdragon is used aswell
I believe those are all included on my list on the first page of this thread. But if you or anyone finds anything not on that list, please let me know :)