8.2 Beasts

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Qraljar »

I really, really still want some type of new Qiraji/Aqir species, like a silithid but with crustacean vibes.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

WerebearGuy wrote:I'm happy that rays will be tameable. If one looks like a spotted eagle ray, I'll be content as all hell. Now all I need is confirmation on Snapdragons and new crabs, and I'll be happy enough. Anything else would be a great bonus.

EDIT: Val, don't forget that they can easily have a non-buried version of the worm model too. They just happen to forget using them for other worms since the Jorumungar days.
That's entirely possible. We'll have to wait and see when the PTR comes up :)
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

Valnaaros wrote:Unless it is this, but this seems to be using the half-buried worm model, which is incomplete and doesn't have any movement animations.

Could be getting an "uprooted" model like jormungar. I faintly remember the tidal guardians being kind of segmented. I'll try to get on and get some screenshots of it ASAP, google isn't quite doing it justice.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Not quite segmented, but still a weird giant snake-worm-thing with horns and lightning. Redesigns are fine, but going from this to a giant angler fish doesn't seem right.

Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

I mean, lots of old units got a design update, so Tidal Guardians could indeed be those big, chunky fish. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary.
Only way to know is to ask Jeremy.

Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Tidal Guardians from Warcraft 3 up close, which I think is way more likely of something we're getting. A wormish/eelish thing like that. ^

PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Silivren wrote:Image

Tidal Guardians from Warcraft 3 up close, which I think is way more likely of something we're getting. A wormish/eelish thing like that. ^
That's a mod/custom unit/somethingorother. There's tons that use WoW models or custom ones to update the look of the game. They just ripped that model straight from the eels in BFA.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Qraljar wrote:I mean, lots of old units got a design update, so Tidal Guardians could indeed be those big, chunky fish. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary.
Indeed. Even between xpacs things have dramatically changed, like Ravagers between TBC and WoD. I understand that fel magic changed them, but no other beast on Draenor changed as dramatically as they did.
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

PrimalTazza wrote:
Silivren wrote:Image

That's a mod/custom unit/somethingorother. There's tons that use WoW models or custom ones to update the look of the game. They just ripped that model straight from the eels in BFA.
Yeah it'd been so long since I played I couldn't quite remember how they looked but knew they were eel-like/snakelike as opposed to fish like. I'd honestly bet it's some weird thing that uses the same model as the serpents/eels/worms etc.

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Valnaaros wrote:
Qraljar wrote:I mean, lots of old units got a design update, so Tidal Guardians could indeed be those big, chunky fish. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary.
Indeed. Even between xpacs things have dramatically changed, like Ravagers between TBC and WoD. I understand that fel magic changed them, but no other beast on Draenor changed as dramatically as they did.
Speaking of those, we really need model updates for the BC Ravagers. They're so polygonal.
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Valnaaros wrote:
Ravagers got changed, sure, but at least they're still close. Still have basically the same heads, spiky bug bodies, a love of thorny plants, etc. This just seems like such a drastic shift from one thing to something totally different. The worm is closer to the original than the fish, in my opinion, and if that's the case, they may have been redesigned to something like a bobbit worm, which would fit their original role/purpose. Jeremy said they were in the caverns or something, right?

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I’d have to rewatch the stream and see exactly what he said.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Hopefully we get some clarification.
Otherwise we'll prolly see next week.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Rewatched the stream. The Tidal Guardians are snake-like creatures. So they aren’t the fish, but they may not be that worm, either.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Valnaaros wrote:Rewatched the stream. The Tidal Guardians are snake-like creatures. So they aren’t the fish, but they may not be that worm, either.
At the very least, that tells us that we haven't seen all beast-like creatures yet.
There's still hope for lobster-silithid! Or large mantis shrimp.

.. Though I doubt it. :c

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Definitely. I’m sure we’ll see a ton more next week.
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I'd be down for lobster-beasties. And bobbit worms. And whatever other horrifying creatures they could come up with.

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

There was a lobster model way back in WotLK, but it was stuck in that one fish feast. I hope they reuse that since it was literally just a crab model with a tail.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

PrimalTazza wrote:I'd be down for lobster-beasties. And bobbit worms. And whatever other horrifying creatures they could come up with.
Mainly, I'd like to just see N'zoth have its own bug-species, which, going by precedent, would be crustacean, whereas C'Thun had the Qiraji/Silithid and Y'Shaarj had the Mantid/Kunchong.
So Silithid crossed with lobsters, or maybe even mantis shrimps would make for great pets and great mounts in my opinion.

As an aside, I really am not a fan of the half-worm model. Always such great potential to be full-body beasts. :cry:

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The name of the mechawolf is KU-JO