[speculation] if the Ankoan become an allied race...

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Re: [speculation] if the Ankoan become an allied race...

Unread post by Maizou »

Qraljar wrote: Ankoan use the new Night Elf skeleton by the way, not the old one.
Are you sure? Cause I'm comparing them and I'm almost positive it's the old one. I know the Jinyu definitely use the old one cause you have a male night elf next to them during questing.

Either way, Ankoans still lack a female model, which is necessary for an Allied Race. They are also not built like a race. They simply have 4 models. They aren't built like how Blizzard said they are building races going forward. (with customization and such)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Well to be fair most fish don't vary between the sexes that much besides size (females being bigger a lot of the times) and fin shape and sometimes colour. A lot you can't tell unless you are super close. That's why I think there are both male and female Murlocs in the game.
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

cowmuflage wrote:Well to be fair most fish don't vary between the sexes that much besides size (females being bigger a lot of the times) and fin shape and sometimes colour. A lot you can't tell unless you are super close. That's why I think there are both male and female Murlocs in the game.
That's true but it doesn't fit wows model sadly lol. It's gonna have to have boobs to be considered a female lmao. See female worgen who didn't need breasts but still have them. :lol:

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Myzou wrote:
Qraljar wrote: Ankoan use the new Night Elf skeleton by the way, not the old one.
Are you sure? Cause I'm comparing them and I'm almost positive it's the old one. I know the Jinyu definitely use the old one cause you have a male night elf next to them during questing.

Either way, Ankoans still lack a female model, which is necessary for an Allied Race. They are also not built like a race. They simply have 4 models. They aren't built like how Blizzard said they are building races going forward. (with customization and such)
Yeah. It's a bit more difficult to tell due to the fact that Ankoan don't have humanoid faces, which is where most of the difference in animation came from with the new player models.

But you can still tell that the body movements are more fluid than those of the old night elf skeleton.

That aside, they are definitely not made to be a player model at this point, much to my chagrin. This could change in a few builds, or not at all. But at this point, it's all but confirmed that Mechagnomes are the new allied race, something I'm not too excited for.

But I'm hoping that people react positively to Ankoan and voice their desire to play them so that Blizzard could maybe introduce them as an allied race sometime around 8.3.5 (I don't know if there will be an 8.4 and beyond, but I'm sure we'll at least go up to 8.3.5) as a result of feedback they get now and after 8.2's release.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Nightborne originally couldn’r wear any piece of armor, then they later gave them a new model so that they could. That could easily happen for Ankoan.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Valnaaros wrote:Nightborne originally couldn’r wear any piece of armor, then they later gave them a new model so that they could. That could easily happen for Ankoan.
It definitely wouldn't be the way Blizzard normally intends to go forward with allied races- they did say that they want to prepare new races that are intended to become allied races in advance, rather than hindsight, like with Nightborne.

But if there's enough people calling for Ankoan, they've more of a likelihood of becoming playable than Sethrak due to the fact that they currently use the night elf skeleton. I'd honestly be happy with either Sethrak or Ankoan, but I feel like Ankoan make more sense, due to the whole dynamic, which fits the allied race mold perfectly, unlike Sethrak, which are neutral at best and lean towards Horde at worst.

That said, we also need to remain aware that this is the first build of 8.2 that is public. I believe Vulpera didn't look playable at the start either, and that only came in later beta builds, so it's completely possible that the Ankoan model might become player-ready for the most part, though I personally doubt it. I think our best chance (for people that really want them), would be to make a lot of (positive) noise and let Blizzard know that there's a lot of interest in them.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Agreed. Going on the testing forums and showing that we really like the Ankoan and would like for them to be playable is our best shot. A far better option than mechagnomes, anyways.
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

Skycaller wrote:
Hello fellow sethrak supporter, while on the topic of allied races and their hunter pets, what do you think of a special krolusk that is classified as a beetle as their starter pet? The nightborne got a fancy looking mana saber as a "cat" pet.

As for Ankoan, if they become an allied race my money is either a Ray or Snap Dragon as their starter pet, leaning towards Ray though.
I'd love the Sethrak to have one of the cobras because it's silly. The Ankoan should get a seahorse-horse? I don't know what they're called they're probably just mounts, but it'd be awesome if we could tame them.

Personally I'm just super sad about the whole mechagnome thing. They're the worst to me and it makes me sad so many better options got passed up. I'm happy for the people who like them, but I think if they're the last allied race for Alliance I'll have to start seriously asking myself why I play this game anymore. First the whole bloodbeast fiasco now this it's just showing how different what I want is from what they're going to do in the future.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I don't know what they're called
They’re called Tidestallions :)
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

I don't see it happening but you never know. I know the goblin discord is currently planning to make a fuss/some noise over wanting Gilgoblins. I'm definitely planning on joining in there.

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

The Mechagnomes just seem like a strange candidate to me, as people have pointed out, with how few pieces of equipped gear are actually visible on them. And if they did allow gear to cover up their mech parts, then they wouldn't look any different from a regular gnome.

I really don't play Alliance much so I'm not invested in the decision either way, I just feel the more I look at them the less they seem like they'd qualify as an entire additional race. Then again, I suppose the Lightforged Draenei don't have all that much different about them either.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Vephriel wrote:The Mechagnomes just seem like a strange candidate to me, as people have pointed out, with how few pieces of equipped gear are actually visible on them. And if they did allow gear to cover up their mech parts, then they wouldn't look any different from a regular gnome.

I really don't play Alliance much so I'm not invested in the decision either way, I just feel the more I look at them the less they seem like they'd qualify as an entire additional race. Then again, I suppose the Lightforged Draenei don't have all that much different about them either.
That's the thing. Players and Blizzard alike have made mention of how Lightforged Draenei, Highmountain Tauren, etc. are just base race+, and Ion said they wanted to move away from that, and they made good steps to do so with Zandalari and Kul Tirans. Zandalari have plenty of unique anims, an unique model, etc. Kul Tirans are even more unique.

Mechagnomes would essentially be Gnomes+. They'd be an upgraded version of base Gnomes, and would more or less be like Lightforged are to Draenei.

Mechagnomes are an extremely dreary allied race option to me. The only thing they beat is Lightbound Undead and High Elves (Please god no), and then only barely.

I've yet to see how Ankoan are, lore-wise, if they're cool characters, etc. But based on aesthetic (both model and armor) alone, I'd rather have them over amputee Gnomes with new hairstyles.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Silivren wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:Well to be fair most fish don't vary between the sexes that much besides size (females being bigger a lot of the times) and fin shape and sometimes colour. A lot you can't tell unless you are super close. That's why I think there are both male and female Murlocs in the game.
That's true but it doesn't fit wows model sadly lol. It's gonna have to have boobs to be considered a female lmao. See female worgen who didn't need breasts but still have them. :lol:
Yeah you are right :lol:
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Qraljar wrote:
Myzou wrote:

Yeah. It's a bit more difficult to tell due to the fact that Ankoan don't have humanoid faces, which is where most of the difference in animation came from with the new player models.

But you can still tell that the body movements are more fluid than those of the old night elf skeleton.

That aside, they are definitely not made to be a player model at this point, much to my chagrin. This could change in a few builds, or not at all. But at this point, it's all but confirmed that Mechagnomes are the new allied race, something I'm not too excited for.

But I'm hoping that people react positively to Ankoan and voice their desire to play them so that Blizzard could maybe introduce them as an allied race sometime around 8.3.5 (I don't know if there will be an 8.4 and beyond, but I'm sure we'll at least go up to 8.3.5) as a result of feedback they get now and after 8.2's release.
I was more looking at the standing animation. Comparing it to the Night Elves, it doesn't look right. Comparing it to the old night elves, it looks the same. Anyway, even if it was updated:

From what I can tell, the Ankoan only have one model. They don't have a customizable model. They just have different sets of gear that they built around the model that they swap.

It's all one model underneath. In no way is it built to be a playable model.

They said when they're building future races, they're building them to be customizable. This to me tells me they don't see Ankoans as a race.

That said, people need to realize about Mechagnomes, that the customization isn't done. All they have are hairstyles. If they were to be made playable, I'm sure they'd have different robotic parts you can customize.

They'd also likely get the forsaken treatment, and their robotic parts would show through clothes.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Myzou wrote: I was more looking at the standing animation. Comparing it to the Night Elves, it doesn't look right. Comparing it to the old night elves, it looks the same. Anyway, even if it was updated:

From what I can tell, the Ankoan only have one model. They don't have a customizable model. They just have different sets of gear that they built around the model that they swap.

Regardless, there is a base model underneath, that's about all I can say.

It's all one model underneath. In no way is it built to be a playable model.
We don't currently know what type of system they use. They could use the old geoset system or the model could call upon "collections" (like 3D player armor and also Vulpera NPC armor does)

Also, yes, Jinyu were built on the old Night Elf skeleton/animation set due to the fact that they are from MoP, an expansion before a new Night Elf male skeleton was ever introduced. Fact of the matter, it's difficult to really say something uses the old Night Elf animations when the old Night Elf model now uses the new animations regardless. But yes, Ankoan use the new animations.

Regardless, you are right. Ankoan are currently not built to be a player race. This could change in the next build (Vulpera were also not built to be a player race early during BfA beta) or it couldn't change at all before 8.2 launches, but it could always be done at a later point.
Myzou wrote:They said when they're building future races, they're building them to be customizable. This to me tells me they don't see Ankoans as a race.
They also said they wanted to move away from allied races as being better versions of existing base races. Mechagnomes/Junker gnomes contradict that philosophy.
Myzou wrote:That said, people need to realize about Mechagnomes, that the customization isn't done. All they have are hairstyles. If they were to be made playable, I'm sure they'd have different robotic parts you can customize.

They'd also likely get the forsaken treatment, and their robotic parts would show through clothes.
This still leaves the problem that Mechagnomes/Junker Gnomes are essentially Gnomes+, they take what Gnomes are and turn the knob up, the same way Lightforged do for Draenei and Highmountain do for Tauren.

Regardless, I've made my peace with playable Mechagnomes for the Alliance, because of their addition to the chr. list. (which was mentioned and shown in a screenshot by somebody during peak 8.2 datamining)

At this point, I just hope we get something good after Mechagnomes, be that Ankoan, or Sethrak. Something, so long as it is a new species, and not a better or slightly changed version of something we already have. (Looking at you, High Elves and Lightbound Undead)

I'm interested in seeing the Ankoan in the story- if they're cool, they'll be my top pick for a race that I want to see made into a player race in like.. 8.3.5 (we know there'll be a 8.3) and I hope that with enough requests for them, Blizzard might consider it, too.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

This wouldn't really work for the Mechagnomes. Mechagnomes have three areas of robotic parts: Head, Arms, and Legs. Helmets usually remove features for any race. For Draenei, their tendrils and horns/skullplate are removed. Any male model of any race lose their beards if the helmet covers their entire head. Depending on the helm, Elves lose their ears. Mechagnome's head robotic pieces would have to be removed or else they would badly clip through almost all helmets.

The arms and the legs of Mechagnomes are rather skinny - skinnier than most, if not all of the limbs on playable race models. Unlike the Forsaken, their limbs do not have protruding pieces. Blizz would either have to make it so that sleeves, pant legs, gloves, bracers, and boots do not show on Mechagnomes or that they do. If they don't, then that would remove up to five pieces of armor - five pieces that could not be xmogged. If they do, then those pieces plus the helmet would cover up all of a Mechagnome's robotic parts and it would look like a normal gnome.

Could Mechagnomes still happen? Yes, but like Qraljar said they would be a poor choice. If anything, they should just be given to normal Gnomes as a customization option and Blizz should then just give us something else like Ankoan.
Skeppio
Realm: Khaz'Goroth (US)

Unread post by Skeppio »

There's a metric ton of problems with Junkers that make them a terrible idea for an AR. Sadly, now that Wowhead's got datamined player customisation for them, it seems Blizz hates the Alliance enough to shaft us yet again. -_-
Ankoan are screwed since Blizz couldn't be bothered making them look better than MoP-level Jinyu, or make them look anywhere near as good as the concept art.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Looking around at the Ankoan in Nazjatar, they have a few classes represented amongst them. Thus far I have found: Warriors, Hunters, Rogues, Mages, and Monks.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Were mechagnomes designed as amputees with robotic prosthetics?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Something interesting to note is that the Alliance can add Ankoan as a troop that can be recruited for missions. Not sure if the Horde can do the same for Gilblins.