Eyes of the Beast

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Eyes of the Beast

Unread post by Valnaaros »

It looks like we might be getting that ability back soon! Here is a quote from Ion in an interview he had with xDlate:

xDlate: Do you plan to take some ideas from Classic development and apply them to live servers?

Ion Hazzikostas: One example that I can think of--let's take a look at how our code evolved. We removed the ability called "Eye of the Beast" from hunters and, as a result of several code changes, it was actually impossible to us to reinstate it in modern WoW-- it would be a tremendous amount of work. Well, to make Classic happen, we had to do most of that work. There are still some bugs to fix, but we actually think in the modern game, thanks to the work we've done to make "Eyes of the Beast" work again, there's no reason we can't give hunters that ability back in Battle for Azeroth, and that's like a small example of something.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Eyes of the Beast

Unread post by Bowno »

PLEASE. Dear lord. Please give us Eyes of the beast back.

Siggy under construction!

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I mean, he's making it sound much worse than it really is. The vehicle mechanics would've made EotB better. Just make it turn your pet into a controlled "vehicle", and bam. Still, glad to see it hopefully coming back. It served absolutely zero purpose and really is a waste of a bar's slot, but it was still a fun little thing when waiting for something to do.

Now if only they'd let pets dance and whatnot while you control them. That wasn't a thing back then, right?
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Bowno »

Dancing as a pet wasn't a thing to my knowledge. It would just make your actual character dance while your pet ran around.
Dance grenades would work on some pets though! But those came out in.. what.. wrath?

Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

How was it different than Eagle Eye? Is it more like having the Warlock's Eye option?
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Bowno »

Talihawk wrote:How was it different than Eagle Eye? Is it more like having the Warlock's Eye option?
You get to turn into your pet and run around/attack with it.

Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Wow, that would be awesome!
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

attacking with it would be amusing :D
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

This ability should be learned from a cool questline involving eyes of the beast, it would be awesome to control my pets, but many people would troll low level players which would be quite annoying
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I'm just happy if we get back aggressive stance for our pets.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Aggressive stance was probably useful for being alert that a hostile mob is nearby, but I feel like it gets real annoying sometimes, but I also started playing in Cata so I didn’t know there was an aggressive stance until I saw vids of wow from older Xpacs
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Bowno »

worgpower wrote:This ability should be learned from a cool questline involving eyes of the beast, it would be awesome to control my pets, but many people would troll low level players which would be quite annoying
Thats what I enjoyed using it for ;D
Its called "Fishing for n00bs"
Great fun! A little mean, but god does it give some funny results ;>

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

worgpower wrote:Aggressive stance was probably useful for being alert that a hostile mob is nearby, but I feel like it gets real annoying sometimes, but I also started playing in Cata so I didn’t know there was an aggressive stance until I saw vids of wow from older Xpacs
It's useful in pvp because it allows for your pets to automatically attack stealth pcs.
Last edited by pop on Tue May 21, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

I know that private servers for Vanilla to WOTLK retained the Eyes of the Beast code so I figured it wasn't lost forever, but it'd be really nice if they could get it working again. Wonder what changed in Cata that broke it?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Dialga wrote:I know that private servers for Vanilla to WOTLK retained the Eyes of the Beast code so I figured it wasn't lost forever, but it'd be really nice if they could get it working again. Wonder what changed in Cata that broke it?
They changed a lot of the coding of WoW in Cata (how basically many things, including spells, worked), which caused Eyes of the Beast to break, and they realized that it would take a ton of work to fix it, so they opted to remove the spell.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Aggressive Stance was removed cause hunters would constantly aggro things in dungeons and raids because they would leave their pets on Aggressive.

We got assist stance in return. We pretty much had to leave pets on aggressive because our only other stances were defensive (pets only attacked if we got hit) or passive.

So either our pets attacked everything, or we had to leave pets on passive/defensive and macro /petattack into things.

The only ones who really complained about Aggressive Stance being removed were PvPers though, as people said above, it caused the pet to catch rogues and druids. But Blizzard has gone on record that they don't like that people can do that, and discourage game mechanics that allow that. IF a rogue/druid gets too close that YOU can attack them before they do, then that's on them, but pets would often get them well before they could cheap shot/pounce us, due to Track Hidden. (like on live, we often hear the stealth sound before they're in range, but we cant react/find them fast enough to actually break their stealth before we get stunned)

---

That said, with Eyes of the Beast returning soon, I wonder if Sentry Totem will return. If I recall, Sentry Totem was removed for the same reason, the coding simply could not be sustained.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Eyes was useful for PVP Bg's - go snooping with your pet before storming the base XD

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~