Petopia Classic site development

Discuss WoW Classic and give feedback for our Petopia Classic sites, including Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Petopia Classic site development

Unread post by Wain »

I've just started work on the Petopia Classic website. It has a LONG way to go!

If you'd like a rough preview:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/classic/

Keep in mind this page needs a lot of formatting work, and new menu links for Class-related stuff.

A few notes on the style:

- that dark green was the original colour of Petopia, so this will be a nostalgia trip :)
- the site logo isn't the original one, but it's a homage to it created by the very talented SpiritBinder. The actual original from the 2000s looks a little rough compared to our modern one (you can see it here) so I wasn't going to use it. But then SpiritBinder came up with a new one that captures a lot of elements from it, but looks so much more elegant. I'm so happy with it :)
- Once the formatting is mostly good for the index, family and looks pages, I'll start adding guides to all the Classic stuff - pet abilities and training, feeding and loyalty, taming, etc. There's so much to add.
- I'll also start compiling a cheat sheet or differences between hunter pets in BfA and Classic so hunters can get started quickly. I'll start that in another thread.

Feel free to leave general feedback on Petopia Classic development in this thread, like site appearance and layout, site bugs, etc. For stuff related to page information (pets, guides etc.), please use or start other threads :)

Thanks! :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Petopia Classic site development

Unread post by Rawr »

So it will somewhat match the current forums dark look, the Dampening Designs one with green boarder and dark grey background? :mrgreen:

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Ohh nostalgia trip! Wow it really looks awesome. I feel tempted to play classic wow now. . I won't but wow it's good! !

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks! :) There's a long way to go, but I was excited to get something functioning, and for the logo to be up. And I guess it does match that forum theme a little :)
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

That's amazing Wain well done!! (and Spiritbinder!)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've made a page that lists all pet abilities and their ranks, where you can learn them, and what it costs to train your pet in them. BUT it's completely unformatted at this stage so it's rather messy and ugly. It's taken me many hours to get it to this point and formatting will have to wait till tomorrow. I'm tired and want to play a little WoW :)
In case you're curious, the rough list is here: http://www.wow-petopia.com/classic/abilities.php
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

It looks amazing so far! I am getting all nostalgic!

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I finally got a look at some classic databases (for the demo only) and it seems that Serpents aren't included in the family database, so I guess I can scrap those, at least for now. It's possible they'll be included in the final version but it's less likely.
Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

Looking good so far, Wain. :)

If I remember correctly, the Serpent family wasn't included until either in the Burning Crusade prepatch or during the expansion's launch, so it's unlikely they'll be tamable in Classic.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The pet abilities page has been greatly updated :)
http://www.wow-petopia.com/classic/abilities.php

Now I'm happy with that one, hopefully I can proceed a lot faster, using similar formatting.

NPCs now have links to Wowhead Classic, too.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

More Classic updates:

Search is now working, and I added the ability to search for pets that can teach certain abilities, as well as pets that can learn them (which is linked to family).

The galleries are also working, so you can browse all looks, or unique rare pets or whatever.

I did a bit more formatting on the abilities page. I'm pretty happy with it now. Maybe the index of abilities at the top could be boxed or something, but that can wait.

In pet lists (looks pages and search), potential "caster pets" come with a red warning symbol (e.g. in this listing for white windserpents), and a key above or below the table to explain the situation. It's still not entirely possible they'll fix that issue, since it was a bug (and I forgot just how many windserpents it affected! Ugh).

On the looks pages, the notes will tell you if a pet knows a certain rank of a certain ability when tamed, with links to the abilities page.

Getting there :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The site is now open to the public! Yayyy! :) I hope nothing major breaks :S

http://www.wow-petopia.com/classic/

There's LOADS more to add: more guides on pet feeding and loyalty and stats, more info on taming and location of individual NPCs, but I'm still very excited to get this much running and I'm pretty happy with how it's shaping up. :D
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: The site looks amazing Wain! What would we do without you!? And thank you for the time and effort you put into all of this; I know the community is grateful for it! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I really appreciate that, thanks! :) I was up all night getting the basic site working so it could be ready for the demo release. I'm a little surprised it all came together. It needs more guides and pics, though. :)
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Noticed there's some competition for being the go-to site for classic. Interesting, I suppose. I like the Petopia one better, of course. https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9 ... ic_hunter/
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

https://www.nightelfmohawk.com/petpedia/all-pets/ It's nice and all but you can't search by learn-able pet abilities nor does it have a list of them. http://web.archive.org/web/200701031414 ... skills.php I like the expandable lists. :D :mrgreen:

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I don't like how the Petpedia page looks, personally. It's not very...huntery, I guess? That archived site looks useful though
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Hmm. I'd have to investigate further before I made a hard accusation, but the initial impression I get is that "Petpedia"'s data may be lifted directly from our old pages. As an example, some of the terminology our pages share is something that wasn't official, but created by us. Like, referring to family stat modifiers as high, low, etc. and then percentage in brackets. As a result I suspect all their data was taken from us. I'll contact Mania over this and see what she thinks and what action we should take. Thanks for letting me know.

Edit: asking around a little it sounds like ours isn't the only site they've lifted data from for their pages.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've added a page for pet attack speeds:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/classic/attackspeed.php

I need to fill it out more once I work out why attack speeds were useful (PvP maybe? I know it wasn't DPS).

That info isn't our own - it comes from a few sources, but I think they all originated in a page on TKA Something, which has been offline for about 8 years. I really dislike using someone else's data, though, even if it's no longer being used, and wish I could ask the owner, but I don't know any way of contacting her now. :/ If anyone knows how to get in contact with her, please let me know! I know she went by the handle "Fritti Tailchaser".
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Attack speed was VERY useful for PVP as attacks knocked back/delayed cast timers, and there was no diminishing return on it. Fast attack speed pets were the bane of all casters in vanilla
Broken Tooth was a god and highly sort after due to this.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­