Rare and Elite Pets

Discuss WoW Classic and give feedback for our Petopia Classic sites, including Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Ariseos
Realm: Razorfen

Rare and Elite Pets

Unread post by Ariseos »

So im a bit confused. I allways remembered having an Elite pet in BC. I went to Razorfen downs and tamed one of the boars. i could swear they keep the elite dragon portrait and so did the rare. Am i wrong ?
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Rare and Elite Pets

Unread post by Bowno »

I don't remember pets keeping their dragon portraits.
However, I DO remember there being glitches/bugs where some times, they would regain any portrait they had, as well as their original tame sizes. Like, some times if you tamed something HUGE, every once in a while people would see it at that huge size, while having their dragon portrait. Some times, even their old name would show up.
I don't know what caused this to happen, only that it did happen every once in a while.
There were times when peoples pets would even appear to be attackable, even if they were on the same faction. You wouldnt be able to actually attack them though.
Again, not sure what happened to cause these or why. I only know that it did happen.

Siggy under construction!

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I know The Beast used to keep both his ?? skull level and dragon portrait, it's one of the reasons I worked so hard to tame him back in the day. But that was sometime after Wrath of course as core hounds weren't tameable before then. I don't remember if that was also applicable in Vanilla, and I can't quite remember when it was removed either.
Ariseos
Realm: Razorfen

Unread post by Ariseos »

Thank you very much. maybe it was just my memory casting an illusion spell on me :/
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

When night elves used shadow meld, I think their pets would sometimes appear attackable.
Rarehunter1
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Rarehunter1 »

Ariseos wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:31 am So im a bit confused. I allways remembered having an Elite pet in BC. I went to Razorfen downs and tamed one of the boars. i could swear they keep the elite dragon portrait and so did the rare. Am i wrong ?
I believe you aren't mistaken. I started playing WoW in BC, and I remember taming one of those elite snakes at the end of Zul'Farrak in Tanaris. I remember it keeping it's golden dragon portrait frame, so I kept it throughout most of the expansion. I also remember the portrait frame disappearing after Wrath came out. Not sure if it was just a temporary BC thing or possibly a cache issue on my side, but I always thought it added a bit of extra pizzazz to elite pets.
Shirubia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Quel'thalas

Unread post by Shirubia »

It was a bug, pets normally didn’t keep their elite portraits. The bug I think had something to do with the distance and in/out of combat status of the hunter (if the hunter was a long distance away, out of combat due to Feign Death or Shadowmeld and the pet was in combat or dead its portrait and name would revert to the name/elite status it had while wild). I remember seeing the bug twice with King Bangalesh (dead in Felwood, owner was well over 100 yards away FD, surprised pet didn’t despawn) and with the Terrokarantula (Ironforge, no idea where the hunter was but he was lol’ing in trade chat).