BiS Pets

Discuss WoW Classic and give feedback for our Petopia Classic sites, including Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Errupt
Realm: Firemaw

BiS Pets

Unread post by Errupt »

Hey everyone,
Guys i've been searching for ideas/suggestions about BiS pets for Raiding/Farming/PvP.
I also would like to know which pets are better in Tanking/DPS/Buffing raid/group.

I am new as a hunter.Never acually played Hunter before and i happen to find it really fun and proffitable.I'd easly put this class to Tier 1 class of gold farming.

The current pets i am using are Broken tooth.I happen to find this kitty really usefull in pvp.That kitty is most hated by casters in general cause of it's attack speed and the DPS it does is really good aswell.My 2nd pet is a wolf i tamed in LBRS and i use it for Raiding.It's good for group buffing since most of the times pets usually die in every pack you pull in raids cause of cleave dmg.I always have my wolf on passive and spam that group buff.It greatly improves the DPS overall i'd say.And 3rd that's personal opinion since i grind alot with my hunter,i'm using the wind serpent from ZG (Son of Hakkar) cause of it's Dive spell and Lightning Breath those fast tags for elementals/Essences and many more other mobs for grinding become really easy specially when the area is contested.

But what other options you guys have?Any suggestions?Something that you believe would be better than my set up?
PS:I really wanna know about the ZG bat.I've been thinking replacing my Son of Hakkar for a ZG bat.But im not sure yet cause those fast tags in a farming area are truly gold.
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: BiS Pets

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

Broken Tooth is your best bet for most PVP situations. A wind serpent is my go to for world content, though a bat or owl would be a close second. They do good damage and tank well with their AOE attack power debuff. A wolf might be good for some groups because of their party buff for melee DPS. I typically avoid tankier pets like turtles because their higher HP and armor comes at the cost of damage, which makes it harder for them to hold aggro.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Supradraco
Realm: Atiesh

Unread post by Supradraco »

fast cats for PVP
cats / Raptors for Raid
Windserp for Solo MM, Turtle or Bear for BM Solo

Wolves were thought to be BIS pets for raid, but now that everyone is pushing out top DPS, the howl buff isnt as BIS as it once was. It marginally helps a low DPS group, but a buffed Cat or Raptor will provide more raw DPS then the howl would.
AcadiAnne
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Classic Alliance/ Retail Alliance and Horde

Unread post by AcadiAnne »

You’re pretty much running my pet setup. I have BT, a wolf (I have a 1.3 attack speed Ghostpaw Alpha after learning everything from the LBRS worg, and there’s also 1.2 attack speed Deathmaw and Slavering Worg), and a Lightning Breath 6 Windserpent. I’m pretty happy with this set-up. One of my guildies had the same set of pets, traded his Windserpent in for an owl, and hated it.

The Hunters in my guild have been parsing raid pet damage for the past few months and aren’t convinced BT is better than a wolf for raids, especially since the effect of Furious Howl isn’t taken into account.

So, imvvho, unless you want a faster attack speed wolf, you have a good stable of pets.
Supradraco
Realm: Atiesh

Unread post by Supradraco »

AcadiAnne wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:22 am You’re pretty much running my pet setup. I have BT, a wolf (I have a 1.3 attack speed Ghostpaw Alpha after learning everything from the LBRS worg, and there’s also 1.2 attack speed Deathmaw and Slavering Worg), and a Lightning Breath 6 Windserpent. I’m pretty happy with this set-up. One of my guildies had the same set of pets, traded his Windserpent in for an owl, and hated it.

The Hunters in my guild have been parsing raid pet damage for the past few months and aren’t convinced BT is better than a wolf for raids, especially since the effect of Furious Howl isn’t taken into account.

So, imvvho, unless you want a faster attack speed wolf, you have a good stable of pets.

well there are two issues here that I can see.
1- in raid you need a pet with two attacks to run focus efficiently. with 100 focus and LB using 50 and bite using 35, on auto the WS will start with a LB and then bite, bite, bite LB if Bite is on GCD and it gains the 50 but many times will almost never hitting that LB again. So you have to work the bite / LB into your rotation which makes things a bit more complicated for high end raiding. weak aura can sound a horn when the pet focus hits 50 is how many do it. some just turn bite off then back on seeing the GCD on LB go off. Any way you look at it high end dps raiding with a WS is harder stuff over a cat because claw and bite use focus faster 35/25 vs 35/50.

a cats claw uses 25 focus so left on auto you may end up just clawing with isnt a lot of dps, just more hits with its faster speed.
a Raptor is just like a cat but slower and has less health, but more armor.

a Wolf has no second attack, but provides you a buff if you are within range of the howl..WARNING never use a Wolf in high end game raiding..your Howl could bump off a melees' high end DPS buff..if they notice it happen, you will be ORDERED to stow the pet. If you convince them to let you keep it next to you, the other ranged DPS will blame you for their lack of dps (true or not they will use you as the reason) and even then because you are not getting any attacks on mobs via your pet your DPS will suffer.

Most of the top DPS Hunters use cats and toggle claw or bite depending on style. My Lead sees 22% when lower gear parse, while 17%-20% with high gear parse.

2- Cat / Raptor / Windserp tend to be the higher DPSing pets simply because you can better manage focus with two attacks rather then a Howl which will only buff 1 attack with about 50dam and cost 25. This 50 dam is only going to add to physical attacks (aim shot, auto and multi).

BUT BUT BUT... FH will cancel on the next attack cast but will ONLY buff a shot started AFTER you obtain the buff.
So FH mechanics are as follows;
Cast FH, receive FH buff for 10 seconds, cast a physical attack (AS, Auto or MS) = added 45-57 damage (base) on that attack and FH cancels.
Cast Aim Shot, Cast FH, receive FH buff ... fire off that Aimed Shot and FH cancels giving NO ADDED DAMAGE. There is up to a 1/2 second delay (or more for high latency encounters) where your FH cast and FH buff are not instant.
And your wolf doesnt care about your rotation... he / she will cast FH whenever it feels like it 1.5 sec GCD...

Even managing FH on the best possible crit dam which will boost overall End of Raid numbers you still fall shy of the DPS gain of a Cat..while its true as long as you are not bumping off other buffs with that FH, 4 melee getting that added 50ish damage will OVERALL out DPS a cat... you PERSONALLY will not see it. The Hunters running Cats / Raptor and Serps will out DPS you (all things being equal)