Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Oh nice. So I'll probably go ahead and tame a currently available undead pet before the pre-patch.
Kaydia
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Kaydia »

WerebearGuy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:52 pm
I thought someone mentioned Pandaren could tame them by default. Maybe I remember wrong.

Let me import my Pandaren Hunter and check.
Kaydia
Pet Finder

Unread post by Kaydia »

Kaydia wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:04 pm
WerebearGuy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:52 pm
I thought someone mentioned Pandaren could tame them by default. Maybe I remember wrong.

Let me import my Pandaren Hunter and check.
Yes. Pandaren can tame Cloud Serpents by default. Going to keep leveling the Pandaren Hunter I made a bit ago and check on the one there.

And with her Rep pane:

EDIT: Also, the Crimsonscale Firestorms on Timeless Isle are tameable.
Last edited by Kaydia on Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Sweet, glad I didn't misread! Here's hoping the leveling endeavor isn't a failure like when I checked Guardian for the name.

My Flight Rising lair

Times banned from World of Warcraft: 1
Reason for ban: Reporting an item duplication exploit with Pet Battles I accidentally found during Mists of Pandaria. 3 week duration.

Kaydia
Pet Finder

Unread post by Kaydia »

WerebearGuy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:17 pm Sweet, glad I didn't misread! Here's hoping the leveling endeavor isn't a failure like when I checked Guardian for the name.
Fingers crossed!

If ever there was a named pet that didn't keep it's name when tamed but should, it's the Guardian. If you are willing to grind out to level 20, as it will be in 9.0, on ore and flowers on the Wandering Isle to tame it, then it should keep its name.

EDIT: If there's anything anyone wants me to check on in the Beta while I'm in Azeroth zones, please let me know. You can send me a DM here, or on the WoW launcher. My BattleTag is Kaydia#1248.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Speaking of, do check the guardian when you get there! Since exotics are easier to get in Shadowlands, it's worth checking the Guardian once more.

My Flight Rising lair

Reason for ban: Reporting an item duplication exploit with Pet Battles I accidentally found during Mists of Pandaria. 3 week duration.

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

So Panderan can tame the cloud serpants by default.

Can Undead tame the undead creatures by default?
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Yep, Forsaken can tame undead by default! Confirmed yesterday, at least by Wain on Twiter.

My Flight Rising lair

Aaralyn
Realm: Burning Legion

Unread post by Aaralyn »

WerebearGuy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:37 pm Yep, Forsaken can tame undead by default! Confirmed yesterday, at least by Wain on Twiter.
And no Forsaken, how they unlock this?
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

It's currently unknown where it comes from, but there's an item called "Simple Tome of Bone-Binding" that lets any Hunter tame them.

My Flight Rising lair

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Shade wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:34 pm So Panderan can tame the cloud serpants by default.

Can Undead tame the undead creatures by default?
Yup :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Since Undead isn't a family, but still requires a special skill to tame, does the Undead tag show up in Beast Lore? (searched thread and didn't see this anywhere)
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

I guess wow is now adding skill specific pet models like gargons, undead beasts, and cloud serpents
Skelelmyrn
Realm: Bloodhoof and Uther

Unread post by Skelelmyrn »

The only creature models left that aren't tameable but could realistically be made tameable are sea lions\walruses, beavers, otters, and racoons.
Clayford13
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Korgath

Unread post by Clayford13 »

Quiv wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:32 pm I find the tameable heavenly cloud serpents, such as Tsulong, very interesting. He is undeniably sentient and intelligent. I know its day one of this pass so I am cautious to read too much into it, but it seems to signal to a leniency toward taming intelligent beasts being more on the table. If so, maybe this change could indicate offshoot NPCS that have previously untameable "intelligent" models being open to discussion in a way that makes sense. The Pandaria gods are a great example. We should never be able to tame them directly, but "offshoot NPC" that share models/colors (whether existing NPC or new ones added) could be plausible now.

I've personally always been in favor of some intelligent beings being tameable since I see taming as more of a consensual partnership and not forced enslavement. However if this is where the idea ends, its very exciting either way!

Also OMG UNDEAD BEASTS YAY

Thanks for all those doing the legwork on the beta to bring us this information! Poor Wain is gonna be a busy dude!
That's how I feel about Cloud Serpents. I've wanted and have been requesting a Sprite Darter for years and get told no they're sentient, yet we can tame a world boss that talks to you when you pull it? Lol. Has anyone checked Sprite Darters by chance? I keep hoping I get a beta invite, but you know... I don't ;D
Last edited by Clayford13 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Clayford13 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:29 pm
Quiv wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:32 pm I find the tameable heavenly cloud serpents, such as Tsulong, very interesting. He is undeniably sentient and intelligent. I know its day one of this pass so I am cautious to read too much into it, but it seems to signal to a leniency toward taming intelligent beasts being more on the table. If so, maybe this change could indicate offshoot NPCS that have previously untameable "intelligent" models being open to discussion in a way that makes sense. The Pandaria gods are a great example. We should never be able to tame them directly, but "offshoot NPC" that share models/colors (whether existing NPC or new ones added) could be plausible now.

I've personally always been in favor of some intelligent beings being tameable since I see taming as more of a consensual partnership and not forced enslavement. However if this is where the idea ends, its very exciting either way!

Thanks for all those doing the legwork on the beta to bring us this information! Poor Wain is gonna be a busy dude!
That's how I feel about Cloud Serpents. I've wanted and have been requesting a Sprite Darter for years and get told no they're sentient, yet we can tame a world boss that talks to you when you pull it? Lol
It's a bit of a weird one, I'm gonna say. I feel like we're expected to just act as if they're not intelligent counterparts, if you get what I mean?

Cloud Serpents are not by default as intelligent as Tsulong, Nalak, etc. are. Your regular Cloud Serpent is basically a beast and both Pandaren and Mogu have tamed them for that reason. So when you run around with a Cloud Serpent, you're basically walking around with a beast. And I think for the sake of offering at least a few looks, we're currently expect to turn a blind eye to the idea that we're taming gods, like Nalak. And to compare it to another example, I bet we're expect to ignore the fact that we're taming Rukhmar (well, no one should be, but you know) and just pretend it's another Dread Raven with the name and look. Same situation here. Remove all the shaky/borderline Cloud Serpent cases and you're left with very few looks until Blizzard seeds more of them throughout the world.

Every Faerie Dragon however, to my knowledge, is said to be intelligent. It's an inherent quality of the species.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Clayford13
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Korgath

Unread post by Clayford13 »

Qraljar wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:35 pm
Clayford13 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:29 pm

That's how I feel about Cloud Serpents. I've wanted and have been requesting a Sprite Darter for years and get told no they're sentient, yet we can tame a world boss that talks to you when you pull it? Lol
It's a bit of a weird one, I'm gonna say. I feel like we're expected to just act as if they're not intelligent counterparts, if you get what I mean?

Cloud Serpents are not by default as intelligent as Tsulong, Nalak, etc. are. Your regular Cloud Serpent is basically a beast and both Pandaren and Mogu have tamed them for that reason. So when you run around with a Cloud Serpent, you're basically walking around with a beast. And I think for the sake of offering at least a few looks, we're currently expect to turn a blind eye to the idea that we're taming gods, like Nalak. And to compare it to another example, I bet we're expect to ignore the fact that we're taming Rukhmar (well, no one should be, but you know) and just pretend it's another Dread Raven with the name and look. Same situation here. Remove all the shaky/borderline Cloud Serpent cases and you're left with very few looks until Blizzard seeds more of them throughout the world.

Every Faerie Dragon however, to my knowledge, is said to be intelligent. It's an inherent quality of the species.
Tell that to my battle pet Sprite Darter ;D I just use a pet biscuit on him to make him large and pretend since I play MM anyway. Lol. I just wish he flew at my side and not behind me.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

This is why I motion towards tameable druid forms; they're associated with intelligent beings, but are also animals. We can tame spirits, we can tame abominations, we can tame demons, and we can even tame dragons now, so the whole "it's sentient" argument is null and void. Druid forms as their respective animals (cat form = cat, bear form = bear, etc), as well as Sprite Darters as maybe lizards or scalehides (or humorously, moths?) would all be totally reasonable.

That's a discussion for a different thread though. Keep holding that feeling though! Muffinus is clearly on our side.

My Flight Rising lair

Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

Skelelmyrn wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:25 pm The only creature models left that aren't tameable but could realistically be made tameable are sea lions\walruses, beavers, otters, and racoons.
I dunno, I fancy the rats myself. Though they may be too small.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I don’t think that Muffinus is clearly in support of this. Most likely he just flagged any hostile cloud serpent as tamable without actually looking into whether or not they are sentient.