Shadowlands General Discussion

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Re: Shadowlands General Discussion

Unread post by Shade »

Overwhelmed here as well.

Was wanting to keep doing the storyline, but ended up having to stop because my time in the Maw was put to an end by having maxed out the 'eye of the Jailer' buff. I really dislike this system-if you want to time gate the story and not let people move through-then release quests at certain times. Having this debuff infuriating me until I just rage quit and go read about what it actually is and what it means was bloody ridiculous and has really put me off on playing. I have free time to go play today, but am irritated enough with what was going on in the Maw that I don't want to play right now.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I feel you, Wain :,D I'm REALLY taking my time- I'm still barely beginning Revendreth- and at this point I don't understand ANYTHING I keep seeing on twitter. Legendaries?? Torghast?? Covenant soulbinds?? I'm pretty much ignoring it as much as possible. I don't plan on getting a raid group or a set M+ group, so I'm not really in a rush. Still, it's pretty scary to consider HOW MUCH content I'm going to get involved in once I get done with this zone, especially considering I have my heart set on some covenant cloaks that take a lot of Doing Things.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Normally I'd be all about taking my time and enjoying the questing experience but as I'm part of an active raid guild again for this expansion, there's the pressure of having to be geared and ready to go for next week and I had to kind of speed things up a bit.

It was very overwhelming but I'm finally feeling a bit more settled, just doing some of my more casual personal things during the evenings like pet battles and collecting.

I would have liked to be able to do all the side quests in each zone as I went, but I wanted to hit 60 sooner so I've got those to do still. I think if you don't have any responsibilities to a raid team or something right now, you really don't have to worry too much. There is a lot, but most of the "hurry up and do this" is for those who kind of need to stay caught up for those purposes. If you're not in a rush to do endgame content you'll be fine going at your own pace! :hug:
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Dewclaw wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:39 pm I don't have hours every day to invest....more like 45 minutes on a work day, if I'm lucky.
Same man. I only get play time on the weekends, and I'm still in the forest zone right now. After Bastion, I found myself skipping side quests cause I just wanted to get moved along. And man, do I despise the Maw. Going into that zone in the middle of story stuff really puts a damper on the story for me. Between lack of mounting and the stupid amount of mobs everywhere, it's just frustrating to get around, especially when there's no corpse run, and combine that with people pulling big mobs to get other people killed, it's annoying. And my guild is pushing mythics and raids already and I'm just like...I can't keep up. Especially since my guild moved progression raiding to Friday nights, which means I can never join since I work swing shift. But in general, for some reason, I have a hard time playing it. I dunno if it's just cause I'm burnt out in general from WoW (been playing since TBC) that even a new expansion isn't enough. I have taken year long breaks, but maybe I came back too early before SL and already burnt myself out again. And then seeing the level 60 stuff with the covenants, I'm kinda bummed about the whole locked out tmog, mounts and minis. It really makes me not want to even bring alts thru if I can't share the stuff across all my toons.

I am pretty happy to see the lack of ally vs horde bs tho, like in Legion. Now they just need to get rid of the mob faction tagging, especially for quest mobs. I'm on a server that's like 75% horde and makes it really difficult to get quests done.

Sorry I'm rambling...just tired and frustrated sometimes with life.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

MaximumOverdrive wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:30 pm
Dewclaw wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:39 pm I don't have hours every day to invest....more like 45 minutes on a work day, if I'm lucky.
Same man. I only get play time on the weekends, and I'm still in the forest zone right now. After Bastion, I found myself skipping side quests cause I just wanted to get moved along. And man, do I despise the Maw. Going into that zone in the middle of story stuff really puts a damper on the story for me. Between lack of mounting and the stupid amount of mobs everywhere, it's just frustrating to get around, especially when there's no corpse run, and combine that with people pulling big mobs to get other people killed, it's annoying. And my guild is pushing mythics and raids already and I'm just like...I can't keep up. Especially since my guild moved progression raiding to Friday nights, which means I can never join since I work swing shift. But in general, for some reason, I have a hard time playing it. I dunno if it's just cause I'm burnt out in general from WoW (been playing since TBC) that even a new expansion isn't enough. I have taken year long breaks, but maybe I came back too early before SL and already burnt myself out again. And then seeing the level 60 stuff with the covenants, I'm kinda bummed about the whole locked out tmog, mounts and minis. It really makes me not want to even bring alts thru if I can't share the stuff across all my toons.

I am pretty happy to see the lack of ally vs horde bs tho, like in Legion. Now they just need to get rid of the mob faction tagging, especially for quest mobs. I'm on a server that's like 75% horde and makes it really difficult to get quests done.

Sorry I'm rambling...just tired and frustrated sometimes with life.
I feel the same, I want to play wow, but there are too many covenant calling, dailies, which make wow feel like work, the leveling was gr8, but wow is just stuffing lots of things in our face that aren’t fun and make it feel like work, I’m bummed that covenant mounts are locked to covenant, I got a hopecrusher mount and my other characters couldn’t use it, I wish there could of been more mounts mountable in the maw, they could of made hivemind, sandstone drake, and obsidian nightwing mountable due to them being transformations, I hope we can remove the mount restrictions in the next XPAC, I did play wow for 7 hours everyday since SL came out
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

There has been a... pattern emerging in WoW that has led me farther away from it, and that is the secondary ability/power creep. There is so much to do, so much to grind which would normally be nice as a means to pass away the time. But the issue is that in an addon-world, it's no longer 'I bet I can impress someone with how good I am with how much time I've put in', it's 'I better look up every single thing to do online perfectly or I'll get declined from every group'. Everything from your DPS to your runs to your keys are trackable online, even without your consent. It's become less of a bonus to have amazing gear that comes from massive grinding and more of a strict obligation, or you're never ever getting into that higher content.

The issue, in my own opinion, is Mythic raid content's bar is So Incredibly High. There are so few guilds that can clear the highest content because of how much minmaxing you have to do to get even close. Looking at Mythic N'zoth, it was never more apparent. Personally, I'm of the opinion Blizzard should remove gear from Mythic raids or at least have them give no more ilvl and bonuses than Heroic. I think Heroic should be the cap of gear ilvl, and Mythic rewards should be vanity like titles/pets/mounts. Mythic should be something you do to show off, and the difficulty should be scaled around a set and acheivable ilvl where Skill is the number one factor in whether you clear a boss and not if you did your keys every single week and rolled your Residuum or whatever the new systems are.

Because as long as Mythic keeps giving gear, guilds will keep pushing into low Mythic bosses because they give better gear with less effort than high Heroic ones. And time and time again, pushing farther and farther into Mythic breaks guilds and turn off players from the sheer difficulty curve and How Much Time you have to put into the game to minmax just to be REMOTELY PASSABLE against a high end Mythic boss.

Again, these are just my own opinions as someone who's been in several Mythic guilds (even top server at one point) and just... I've seen so many guilds and friends and players crumble and disappear from it. It's why I'm not subbed anymore.
Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

I am one of those who would and will be declined most likely. My BM hunter went necrolord because I want to. I liked them the best for that character, but I know that right now, it's a poor choice compared to other covenant abilities. Oh well. It's what I want, and I'm sticking with it.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Dialga wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:42 pm There has been a... pattern emerging in WoW that has led me farther away from it, and that is the secondary ability/power creep. There is so much to do, so much to grind which would normally be nice as a means to pass away the time. But the issue is that in an addon-world, it's no longer 'I bet I can impress someone with how good I am with how much time I've put in', it's 'I better look up every single thing to do online perfectly or I'll get declined from every group'. Everything from your DPS to your runs to your keys are trackable online, even without your consent. It's become less of a bonus to have amazing gear that comes from massive grinding and more of a strict obligation, or you're never ever getting into that higher content.
Absolutely this. It's great if you do little except research and grind WoW all day long, but this, along with the heavier promotion of streamer culture now, creates a sense of obligation that you need to understand every last new system and be grinding it from day 1 or you're going to be ghettoized. It didn't used to feel this way, and I guess it's not just me.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Vephriel wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:28 pm Normally I'd be all about taking my time and enjoying the questing experience but as I'm part of an active raid guild again for this expansion, there's the pressure of having to be geared and ready to go for next week and I had to kind of speed things up a bit.

I would have liked to be able to do all the side quests in each zone as I went, but I wanted to hit 60 sooner so I've got those to do still. I think if you don't have any responsibilities to a raid team or something right now, you really don't have to worry too much.
Yeah this is me. I did all the side quests lvling in bastion so when I got to the other zones I was almost too big for it so had to stick to the main story to finish 60 and gear for raid. I'm ready for raids so now I can go back and do stuff but there's still a pressure to get renown lvls and farm soul ash for legendaries I feel. I'd really like to go and do all quests for each area though.

On another topic does anyone feel daily rewards are abit too low lvl? I'm in the mid 170's for ilvl and the gear is 10 ilvls below that. I felt bfa daily's gave better bang for your buck but maybe its too early in the expansion for that yet?

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Wain wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:06 am Absolutely this. It's great if you do little except research and grind WoW all day long, but this, along with the heavier promotion of streamer culture now, creates a sense of obligation that you need to understand every last new system and be grinding it from day 1 or you're going to be ghettoized. It didn't used to feel this way, and I guess it's not just me.
I defiantly feel this way about the renown system. Not only do you need to grind rep as per usual but now this other system to not only get gear but power levels via conduits too. If I was a new player i'd feel very overwhelmed by it. Add in soul ash with no catch up yet so if you want to craft your legendaries you need to clear every torghast lvl each week...it defiantly adds up in the time sink factor.

Shadowlands

Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Anyone else that's done the raid think its quite hard for an opening raid tier even on normal? The guild I'm in is pretty casual (we only raid on the weekend) but some of the more experienced ppl said it had mythic lvl mechanics for a normal. I haven't raided properly since pandaria so can't comment on the tiers after that though but previous seemed way easier. We got through 6/10N with an average ilvl of 180.

Shadowlands

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Castile wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:03 am Anyone else that's done the raid think its quite hard for an opening raid tier even on normal? The guild I'm in is pretty casual (we only raid on the weekend) but some of the more experienced ppl said it had mythic lvl mechanics for a normal. I haven't raided properly since pandaria so can't comment on the tiers after that though but previous seemed way easier. We got through 6/10N with an average ilvl of 180.
It is harder than an opening raid usually is, and I think that is intentional on Blizz's part. They have done some nerfs to things that were way overtuned, but overall they seem fine with the difficulty.
Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Valnaaros wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:00 am It is harder than an opening raid usually is, and I think that is intentional on Blizz's part. They have done some nerfs to things that were way overtuned, but overall they seem fine with the difficulty.
I get they don't want ppl to zoom through content but some of the mechanics are way overtuned for normal. I can only shudder at Mythic. Guess we'll see what kind of shitstorm LFR is this week :?

Shadowlands

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I ran lfr yesterday. In terms of difficulty, the three bosses available this week really weren't bad. We had a couple of wipes, but that was due to people learning the mechanics.
Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

Valnaaros wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:57 am I ran lfr yesterday. In terms of difficulty, the three bosses available this week really weren't bad. We had a couple of wipes, but that was due to people learning the mechanics.
I ran lfr last night and I have to say its significantly easier than Normal. A lot of the damage was tuned right down and mechanics completely removed. TBH its probably what normal should be. Although I do like how the trash in this raid teaches you the boss mechanics - that's very clever.

Shadowlands

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Extra touches like these are so fun, and show how much love is poured into these zones by the designers.

This is the Ember Court in Revendreth (a Venthyr-only event). Key NPCs are now wearing Santa hats, and also there's a present you can loot to give to a guest, but most fun of all is a carolling book you can pick up and make the guests sing. Even the atoning souls get in on the act :D
carolling_souls.png
carolling_souls.png (2.07 MiB) Viewed 8481 times

I also had Kevin the slime from Maldraxxus visiting this week, and he joined in too:
carolling_kevin.png
carolling_kevin.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 8481 times
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Kevin was beatboxing :)
Castile
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Castile »

why do slimes have bones? LOL

Shadowlands

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Why do YOU have bones? Same reason; to look fabulous, of course.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I figured it was what they are currently digesting. The bones would take the longest, of course.