Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Wain wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:34 pm Sorry, I'm still going with the model shots for Petopia. The lack of major changes to the database means it's been easier to get them this Alpha, but it still takes time. It's not just a matter of running WMV and getting the pictures, I've had to check code into WMV so it runs with Shadowlands, then go through all the datamined texture files on Martin Benjamins' site, select the relevant ones, and give them proper names, based on appearance/colour. Now that's all fixed I've been taking shots and am roughly 70-80% done now, at 169 images. Some will be delayed as they use spectral / ethereal effects which WMV isn't rendering, but hopefully I'll get the rest up tomorrow.
Thank you for your hard work, Wain! It is greatly appreciated :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've finally got all the current looks added, and I've put up a draft page here:
https://www.wow-petopia.com/shadowlandslooks.php

It's still a bit rough. I only just got it together and it's 5 am (lucky no work tomorrow!) but I wanted to get it to you folk to check out. I haven't announced it or put any links up on the site at this stage.

I won't bother dividing looks up by tameability until a later phase of testing.

Is anything missing?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Oh man, so many good looks. Thanks for the early look at the models, Wain! I see I'm going to be taming a lot of Teroclaws once I go to Bastion, and that wacky purple stone turtle is definitely an eye catcher.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Eee, this is so exciting! I hadn't even seen the new stitched-up darkhound skins yet.

I can't get over how creative and awesome all of the undead beasts look especially, I'm completely in love with them!! :D
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

"The runestags of Ardenweald come in four different colours, but each can have three possible horn styles."
I might not be understanding correctly, so forgive me if I'm missing something.... But I see all the different colors on the page with 4 horn styles rather than three.
Unless webbed isn't counted as a style?

Siggy under construction!

Zoruaronan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Zoruaronan »

In my opinion the gorms may be beetles considering how they look. But thats just me
Dead_Jackrabbit
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Dead_Jackrabbit »

I've been eyeing those three-headed dog-hydras since Legion. They're at the very tippy-top of my wishlist. I'm praying and pleading so hard it hurts.
Clayford13
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Korgath

Unread post by Clayford13 »

THOSE FOXES ARE SO BEAUTIFUL OH MY GODDDD I am so hyped. Potential ranged survival playstyle, marksman getting streamlined a bit better and now this. Ughhhhhhh yes
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Dead_Jackrabbit wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:31 pm I've been eyeing those three-headed dog-hydras since Legion. They're at the very tippy-top of my wishlist. I'm praying and pleading so hard it hurts.
I think they've been pretty much confirmed by Jeremy.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Dead_Jackrabbit

Qraljar wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:54 pm
Dead_Jackrabbit wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:31 pm I've been eyeing those three-headed dog-hydras since Legion. They're at the very tippy-top of my wishlist. I'm praying and pleading so hard it hurts.
For real??? Where? 😲
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Dead_Jackrabbit wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:01 pm
Qraljar wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:54 pm
For real??? Where? 😲
https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/1247969101001048064 :)
Dead_Jackrabbit

God help me this is too much good news in the span of a few days I gotta lay down.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Wain wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:54 pm I've finally got all the current looks added, and I've put up a draft page here:
https://www.wow-petopia.com/shadowlandslooks.php

It's still a bit rough. I only just got it together and it's 5 am (lucky no work tomorrow!) but I wanted to get it to you folk to check out. I haven't announced it or put any links up on the site at this stage.

I won't bother dividing looks up by tameability until a later phase of testing.

Is anything missing?
Thanks for all your work! I noticed that you seem aware of the names of these creatures ingame, (beyond their base datamine file) such as Tauralus for the Giant Beast creatures.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Bowno wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:41 pm "The runestags of Ardenweald come in four different colours, but each can have three possible horn styles."
I might not be understanding correctly, so forgive me if I'm missing something.... But I see all the different colors on the page with 4 horn styles rather than three.
Unless webbed isn't counted as a style?
Oops, thanks for catching that :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Zoruaronan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:13 pm In my opinion the gorms may be beetles considering how they look. But thats just me
Quite possibly! There are also similarities with krolusks and the sandreavers which were classed as silithids. I suspect the various arthropod-like families might need a reorganization at some point. Silithids and Ravagers could be merged into one family, at least, maybe Krolusks too?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Qraljar wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:30 pm Thanks for all your work! I noticed that you seem aware of the names of these creatures ingame, (beyond their base datamine file) such as Tauralus for the Giant Beast creatures.
I named them when I could. Others, like "death chimaeras" i just made up because I needed a category :) Some of them I knew the names from what I've seen of the Alpha, but others I did a model search on Wowhead and looked for strong naming similarities. Actually, the undead chimaeras were called 'flayedwings' in Wowhead but I decided not to use it for now, because it felt more like the name for a specific group of them. I may change it later.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Dead_Jackrabbit wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:06 pm God help me this is too much good news in the span of a few days I gotta lay down.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

One thing I noticed is that you have the hellheim hounds classified as core hounds, but I thought Feasel referred to them as hydras in his tweet?

I'm most looking forward to the ardenmoths, mawrats, and aaaall the gorms! They also better make those olive windsteeds tameable--feathermanes?
pawprintedheart
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, WrA

Unread post by pawprintedheart »

GormanGhaste wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:41 pm One thing I noticed is that you have the hellheim hounds classified as core hounds, but I thought Feasel referred to them as hydras in his tweet?

I'm most looking forward to the ardenmoths, mawrats, and aaaall the gorms! They also better make those olive windsteeds tameable--feathermanes?
He did. :) He said the helheim hound will be tameable as a Hydra in Maldraxxus.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Torghast is out for testing, and from what I've seen, Mawrat (blue variants, didn't see the others), Mawsworn Seeker (black armored skeletal dogs), and Deadsoul Scavenger (those black beasts with smoky backs) are all beasts. Streamers are only using Demon Hunters and healers, so nobody has tried taming them. The random nature of the dungeon may mean they won't be tameable, but they don't drop any loot or provide currency on death.