Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Lee
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Moonguard | Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

Unread post by Lee »

I CANNOT HANDLE how cute those little mothly boys are. I can’t wait to tame one and name it something adorable.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:33 pm The wasp is clearly the MVP out of this batch. It looks so vicious and large. Might it be bigger than average wasps?
I'll try to find more colours for you :)

The wasp is reasonably large. The perspective makes it look as tall as my tauren, though it's not. But it's still a very decent size - unlike the ardenmoths, which are actually pretty small, currently. I wonder if the moths have been rigged for something else, because not only is their tame size small, but they hang low to the ground and their nameplates are partially in their bodies.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

I think the moth is the size it is because it shares a rig with the bee, which is also small. The aqir wasp, which uses the same animation set, is also pretty small.

I kinda hope they get a little bit of a scale bump. I kind of like how the Aqir Wasp mount looked in the stables right before you finish the questline. It was a good size.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I finally got the five Maw Roach colours added to the database, thanks to Martin Benjamins' help on WoW.tools for getting the rendering right.

I have no idea if they'll be tameable yet, but it'd be a shame if they weren't, because they're pretty cool.

We really need a yellow and a red for a full rainbow effect :D
Beviah
Realm: Illidan

Unread post by Beviah »

I really hope we see mini Ardenweald G'huun boys in our stables too, it'd be such a shame if we couldn't tame these boys. They've been a staple for me ever since I saw them in the trailer. :lol:
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Beviah wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:50 amI really hope we see mini Ardenweald G'huun boys in our stables too, it'd be such a shame if we couldn't tame these boys. They've been a staple for me ever since I saw them in the trailer. :lol:
They have such pretty, pretty antennae. *longing sigh*
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Beviah wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:50 am I really hope we see mini Ardenweald G'huun boys in our stables too, it'd be such a shame if we couldn't tame these boys. They've been a staple for me ever since I saw them in the trailer. :lol:
I hope so too!

I haven't actually spotted any so far, though :(

I've seen plenty of the little grub-like model, in various colours. None are tameable.

And I've seen plenty of the medium ones with claws, in various colours as well. None tameable.

But not the big one.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I also just added the winged "shadow beasts", which in the game seem to be called "soul eaters" more than anything. Again, I had to get help from Martin / WoW.tools, as WMV won't render these properly and I can't fix it.

Unlike the non-winged model, there are five colours. I'm not sure why they'd bother using the non-winged model now, since this one would work well for ground and sky:

Beviah

Unread post by Beviah »

GormanGhaste wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:35 am
Beviah wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:50 amI really hope we see mini Ardenweald G'huun boys in our stables too, it'd be such a shame if we couldn't tame these boys. They've been a staple for me ever since I saw them in the trailer. :lol:
They have such pretty, pretty antennae. *longing sigh*
Agreed! They did a phenomenal job with the model and so much character too. It'll definitely catch some attention for a while with how unique they are. :)
Wain wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:35 am I hope so too!

I haven't actually spotted any so far, though :(

I've seen plenty of the little grub-like model, in various colours. None are tameable.

And I've seen plenty of the medium ones with claws, in various colours as well. None tameable.

But not the big one.
So disappointing if they don't change that. :( I'm still holding out hope, considering the Wasps are tameable! And I've also seen a few grubs scattered around Ardenweald with the screenshots that I've seen that says "Tamed" within their name, but not indicative if we'll see them as pets. :?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Beviah wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:59 am So disappointing if they don't change that. :( I'm still holding out hope, considering the Wasps are tameable! And I've also seen a few grubs scattered around Ardenweald with the screenshots that I've seen that says "Tamed" within their name, but not indicative if we'll see them as pets. :?
It's hard to be sure, at this stage, if they'll end up tameable, but I think at least the medium-sized ones should be. It's possible even the designers don't yet know how they'll classify them. Maybe they'll be grouped with Krolusks or given a family of their own.

I've seen the "Tamed" one too. It's friendly and is some NPCs pet. It's quite cute, and yes it is a good sign :)
Beviah

Unread post by Beviah »

Wain wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:07 pm It's hard to be sure, at this stage, if they'll end up tameable, but I think at least the medium-sized ones should be. It's possible even the designers don't yet know how they'll classify them. Maybe they'll be grouped with Krolusks or given a family of their own.

I've seen the "Tamed" one too. It's friendly and is some NPCs pet. It's quite cute, and yes it is a good sign :)
Very true! :D It's very early on, so anything is possible. :) Even in such cases, we can have another "Blood Beast" scenario, where they become tameable at a later date in the expansion, or even are a part of some form of learned taming system too! I think there are a lot of different directions that can be taken with this. I'm very excited to see what will happen. :lol:
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

A list of all the different moth NPCs in Bastion. This is why I can never remember if I've already recorded one when I see it :P

Agitated Glimmerfly
Behemoth Glimmerfly
Effervescent Glimmerfly
Enamored Darter
Enamored Glimmerfly
Enamored Soulwing
Enamored Spiritwing
Eternal Flutterer
Eternal Glimmerfly
Eternal Glimmerfly
Fluttering Glimmerfly
Fluttering Glimmerfly
Frenzied Glimmerfly
Giant Glimmerfly
Glimmerfly
Glimmerfly Darter
Glimmerfly Duster
Glimmerfly Flutterer
Monarch Glimmerfly
Soulwing Darter
Soulwing Duster
Soulwing Emperor
Soulwing Flutterer
Soulwing Glimmerfly
Soulwing Monarch
Spiritwing Darter
Spiritwing Duster
Spiritwing Emperor
Spiritwing Flutterer
Spiritwing Glimmerfly
Spiritwing Monarch
Starving Glimmerfly
Summerfly
Umbrawing Darter
Umbrawing Duster
Umbrawing Glimmerfly
Umbrawing Monarch
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

A comparison of the two gorgeous, purple-themed moths coming in Ardenweald. Both are tameable, and each brings something different to the theme.
mothardenweald_blue_dark.png
mothardenweald_blue_dark.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 4206 times
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Stag with Christmas lights.
HighlandBull.png
HighlandBull.png (1.94 MiB) Viewed 4206 times
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Dang. I'm not a big fan of moths (dont' dislike them though!) but those two are beautiful. I'd love to see them in other lighting.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Boven wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:07 am Dang. I'm not a big fan of moths (dont' dislike them though!) but those two are beautiful. I'd love to see them in other lighting.
I'll try to get some shots of them from Bastion, which is bright :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've now updated our database with all the stuff I found in Ardenweald, and updated the status of pet looks accordingly. See our guide page for which looks are and aren't tameable:
https://www.wow-petopia.com/shadowlandslooks.php

I've also now separated the unused looks from the untameable (but in game) ones, because most of the latter could become tameable (barring friendly, non-attackable, or special creatures) when the devs do their taming passes. It should give you a better idea of what we can expect to be tameable, and what we still need to cross our fingers and hope they add.

I should also qualify that I haven't done much of the Ardenweald quest chain yet, so I may have missed creatures that appear during quests or quest phases. There's currently a bug at a point in the quest chain that causes your character to become permanently bricked, so I've been cautious about advancing too far through the story,
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Also, there are a few Gorm Matriarchs in Ardenweald, but none are currently tameable. They're quite imposing!
GormMatriarch.png
GormMatriarch.png (573.76 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
Beviah

Unread post by Beviah »

Wain wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:50 am Also, there are a few Gorm Matriarchs in Ardenweald, but none are currently tameable. They're quite imposing!
Very disappointing, but I appreciate the update! Maybe something will change by the time launch hits. They look beautiful in game.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Beviah wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:17 pm
Wain wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:50 am Also, there are a few Gorm Matriarchs in Ardenweald, but none are currently tameable. They're quite imposing!
Very disappointing, but I appreciate the update! Maybe something will change by the time launch hits. They look beautiful in game.
No Gorm, other than the wasps, are tameable at the moment, so that's possibly a good sign for the matriarch model. They probably need to decide where to put the family before they make them tameable. Plus, like 80% of all the obvious stuff is still untameable too, so anything is still feasible :)