Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Re: Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

Unread post by worgpower »

The hellhounds are a perfect candidate for the dog family, or can merge in a new family with the soulseekers, this xpac is perfect for hellhound tameability, hopefully, we can also have a Phoenix as a spirit beast some day
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Off-topic, but Ive been tinkering with Petopia's family pages formatting a bit tonight. If you notice any issues, or have any feedback, please let me know :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I was just watching the new T&E video and happened to notice a goat walking in the background (upper right starting at 3:42 https://youtu.be/6EXTrcnTFS4?t=222)

and do my eyes deceive me, or is that a new walking animation? It looks really good and much more natural than the stiff one they currently have. :D
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Oh wow, that's definitely a new animation! I wonder if the goats will be on a new rig? It looks fantastic!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Vephriel

Okay yep, I can see the new Walk animation on Wowhead's beta site:
https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=509 ... odelviewer

It looks a little awkward by itself there but, I really do think it's a more natural gait than the head held upright one currently.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I don't even remember what goat animations look like since I never use them (nor really care for them), but the new animation definitely makes them look better. Actually looks like a goat walking.
Vephriel

The original animation gave me the same vibe as asking someone to walk steady and straight while balancing a book on top of their head. It just didn't feel natural for a wild animal, I think the new one is going to look a lot better moving around in the environment.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Someone on twitter suggested that the critter-like beasts, like rats and otters, be tameable through pet battles. Instead of throwing a cage at a weakened critter, you'd have a Tame Beast button to tame it. That'd be a good way to finally incentivize actually doing pet battles while also giving us more fun pet options. Make use of existing mechanics, but with a nice twist.
Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU Wildhammer

Unread post by Aggannor »

Does anyone know if there is some alternative way to suggest potential tames, or is this strictly a Twitter only thing? I don't think I saw any threat on the official forums (EU), and I don't think it would be appropriate to flood this thread with personal wishlists.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Aggannor wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:41 am Does anyone know if there is some alternative way to suggest potential tames, or is this strictly a Twitter only thing? I don't think I saw any threat on the official forums (EU), and I don't think it would be appropriate to flood this thread with personal wishlists.
I'm not sure if Jeremy is reading this thread right now, but you're welcome to post if you like. I'll mention it to him :) Or go to our bugs and suggestions thread, which I know he has a link to: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=26248
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU Wildhammer

Unread post by Aggannor »

Wain wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:40 am
Aggannor wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:41 am Does anyone know if there is some alternative way to suggest potential tames, or is this strictly a Twitter only thing? I don't think I saw any threat on the official forums (EU), and I don't think it would be appropriate to flood this thread with personal wishlists.
I'm not sure if Jeremy is reading this thread right now, but you're welcome to post if you like. I'll mention it to him :) Or go to our bugs and suggestions thread, which I know he has a link to: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=26248
Well, since it's more BFA content it probably belongs more here: my only wish would be the Subjugated Pterrordax from northern Vol'dun: these guys have had their specialization, diet and abilities listed in Beast Lore for the whole expansion but have never been tamable. And they would look so good on my Zandalari as they have identical appearance to Kua'fon for the whole pet/mount combo. But then again, Blizzard has always been stingy with the "mount models".

Apart from that, I would probably just echo the undead dinos and other undead pets that have already been brought up by Veph and others.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:28 pm Someone on twitter suggested that the critter-like beasts, like rats and otters, be tameable through pet battles. Instead of throwing a cage at a weakened critter, you'd have a Tame Beast button to tame it. That'd be a good way to finally incentivize actually doing pet battles while also giving us more fun pet options. Make use of existing mechanics, but with a nice twist.
As a pet battler, I can already assure you there would be more outcry that this was done than positive thoughts on the matter.

People don't want to feel forced to pet battle for other content.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Myzou wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:41 am
WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:28 pm Someone on twitter suggested that the critter-like beasts, like rats and otters, be tameable through pet battles. Instead of throwing a cage at a weakened critter, you'd have a Tame Beast button to tame it. That'd be a good way to finally incentivize actually doing pet battles while also giving us more fun pet options. Make use of existing mechanics, but with a nice twist.
As a pet battler, I can already assure you there would be more outcry that this was done than positive thoughts on the matter.

People don't want to feel forced to pet battle for other content.
Agreed. There are a lot of people that do not like pet battles and would hate to feel compelled into doing them for a pet. It is a creative idea, but not one that would go over well. The simplest thing to do is just to add a beast somewhere that uses the giant rat model or something.
Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

"People don't want to feel forced to pet battle for other content."

I saw the rage on the wow forums when they had the pet battle quest in the quest line to get/raise the bug mount. I can see that happening again if it was implemented to tame a pet.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I could see doing a pet battle for a particular critter, but not for a whole category. It's certainly not any worse than restricting a whole family to people that raid. *salty*
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Now, if they made a TINY pet that you could tame with pet battles, that'd make more sense.

Like a toy from pet battles that allows you to shrink your hunter pet by half, but can't be used in Battlegrounds or Arenas.

Hell, that'd be an awesome idea, it'd make it so hunters could make their pets less intrusive in M+ and raids.
Muffinus
Blizzard Representative
Blizzard Representative
Realm: Tichondrius

Unread post by Muffinus »

I like this thread
Clayford13
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Korgath

Unread post by Clayford13 »

Sprite Darters. I have wanted to tame them for 15 yearssssss those cute lil flying geckos
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Clayford13 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:04 am Sprite Darters. I have wanted to tame them for 15 yearssssss those cute lil flying geckos
The problem with them is that they are a sentient creature and one that is capable of speech.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Valnaaros wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:10 am
Clayford13 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:04 am Sprite Darters. I have wanted to tame them for 15 yearssssss those cute lil flying geckos
The problem with them is that they are a sentient creature and one that is capable of speech.
I thought the same thing too until I realized drakes are sentient beings rather than beasts, hopefully there will be tameable non intelligent dragonlike creatures, not drakes