Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

Unread post by Valnaaros »

There is also pvp. Would be very useful in both arenas and BGs, especially against healers. In reality, half of the abilities are beneficial to raids/dungeons or pvp. When you're fighting a mob for a quest, a reduction to movement speed or to healing isn't really going to matter.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

There's other times in dungeons where you might need two purges, if M+ is too niche of an example. Or in pvp too, enrages, shields, etc. I have hit purge while it was still on CD more than I've used the pet snare (I only use it in BG with FCs, otherwise concussive shot and tar trap are usually sufficient). And I've never used the dodge CD even once. Having redundant utility on pets lets some of the pressure off of players to pick the 'right' pet if they're not doing something super challenging.

Of course, other players' preferences might be different, but I like the idea of having a second purge available. If I were to replace a pet ability, it'd be the dodge CD or one of the shield walls. They seem like filler abilities, a more interesting one would be to receive the benefits of improved mend pet: a chance to remove one curse, disease, magic, or poison effect from the pet each tick. Or a second kick (I know that's not really defensive).
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

More purges is always a nice thing, but the problem remains where folks who like to push harder content may end up feeling forced to take a certain pet again. It'd be like "Oh, you didn't bring the right pet? This one pull is going to be much harder then if we can't dispel it all...", and I'd feel bad because my own enjoyment is detrimental at this point. It's a highly conflicting feeling. Granted, we haven't had situations like this (yet), but the possibility exists. I hate to keep bringing up my "playing incorrectly" argument because of how stupid it is, but it's still a very real problem that an extra dispel will likely just magnify. The "wrong pet" problem is one that really should never be a thing.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The Phantasmal Mammoth is tamable and has a unique ethereal appearance. Is found in The Oculus.

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Oh wow, I forgot about those. That's a cool addition. Taming an illusion is a fun idea since that thing isn't even a "real" creature.

EDIT: Pets that aren't proper animals (IE summoned familiars, illusions, etc) should be added to the rare & special search on the main site. It'd be neat to know what all beasts that aren't actually beasts can be tamed.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:25 pm Oh wow, I forgot about those. That's a cool addition. Taming an illusion is a fun idea since that thing isn't even a "real" creature.

EDIT: Pets that aren't proper animals (IE summoned familiars, illusions, etc) should be added to the rare & special search on the main site. It'd be neat to know what all beasts that aren't actually beasts can be tamed.
In the case of these, I think they are actual spirits. Phantasmal means something is ghost-like, and they leave behind a "corpse" after they are defeated and don't just dissipate into arcane dust or something. :)
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Valnaaros wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:13 pm The Phantasmal Mammoth is tamable and has a unique ethereal appearance. Is found in The Oculus.

That’s sick, we’re just getting started with spectral/ghostly pets, we’ve had a bunch, but SL has it better, especially the effects from the purple cobra which fade, I love that
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Hey, I'm actually contributing! Found a new tameable skin for our wonderful unicorns. Ephemeral Runner, found just behind the portal in Invasion Point: Bonich, is tameable, but you need it to run close enough and be frozen. Prior to Shadowlands, it was not tameable. As far as my love of exploiting and going places I should not be is fun, I wanted to find a way to tame it for people who don't take extreme risks. Just toss a trap where I show in the first image, and tame it! Disregard that I'm survival, that was my failed attempt at going out of bounds the first time.

It uses an unused skin variant (dark brown with glowing orange horn/hooves), and is spectral. Does not retain its name, but that's fine.

EDIT: The respawn timer is a little rough, being like 4-5~ minutes with a roughly 1~ minute time for it to take a full lap to run back into trap range, but there's two. All of the others are out of range of traps and tame beast.

EDIT 2: https://ptr.wowhead.com/npc=127615/ephemeral-runner Take note that its skin is darker and more brown than the similar Tormented Shadowrunner from Val'sharah.
Attachments
Stand here, trap there.
Stand here, trap there.
WoWScrnShot_083020_164211.jpg (425.07 KiB) Viewed 5364 times
WoWScrnShot_083020_164231.jpg
WoWScrnShot_083020_164231.jpg (376.46 KiB) Viewed 5364 times
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Great find Werebear! :D
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Wow that thing is dope looking!
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Nighthold scorpids are still untameable, bleh. Beast Lore and Tame Beast not cooperating as usual. Hopefully dungeon mobs with this error are fixed a bit quicker than poor Anzu was.
EDIT: Running through dungeons and raids now to check tameables that may have been fixed (or broken further).

Stated as Tameable, But Cannot Be Tamed
- Venemous Spiderling - Nightmare spider, The Emerald Nightmare
- Screeching Spiderling - Yellow demon spider, The Emerald Nightmare
- Skorpyron - Blue crystal scorpid, The Nighthold
- Acidmaw Scorpid - Green crystal scorpid, The Nighthold
- Crystalline Scorpid - Blue crystal scorpid, The Nighthold
- Volatile Scorpid - Red crystal scorpid, The Nighthold
- Raigonn - Green kunchong, Gate of the Setting Sun (both before and after weak spot is defeated)

No Longer Tameable:
- The Prophet Tharon'ja - Skeletal wind serpent, Drak'tharon Keep
- Garalon - No longer a beast
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Small notes for anyone aiming to make a Pandaren specifically to tame Zhao-Ren and/or Guardian of the Elders:
- Levels 1-14 are painless, and you will be here before you get the quest to kill Zhao-Ren (and subsequently to kill Guardian)
- Guardian of the Elders spawns without the quest. You can safely progress all the way to picking your faction before coming back to tame it.
- 14-30 are quick, with EXP being generous if you're rested (Almost 3%) and fine if you're not (A little over 1%)
- With a full bar of rested experience, I was able to gain almost 3 levels in 1.5 hours, purely from herbing and mining in a quick loop around the bottom right of the Wandering Isles
- It's best to take this in strides, as the EXP gain WILL significantly drop off after a while (much later than on live, but still), so let rested exp build up for a day or two after exhausting it.
- When you log out, do it in a rest area. Temple of the Dawn in the center is a great place to dump your 200 tamed cranes and get rested exp.
- Quests still give modest exp (1/5 of gathering), even at higher levels. Worth considering if you get bored of just grinding.

While the Exotic Beast issue still persists and requires level 39 in the new leveling system (refer to the other thread), the heirloom bonuses are a godsend now. Before, the bonus exp from heirlooms didn't really matter when gathering. Now, they absolutely do because of how much you get out of rested. I'm almost tempted to do this on a Goblin at some point too, just to see how horrible it is for one to go and tame those worms in the Kajamite mines.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

It is genuinely impossible to tame Tunneling Worm on Kezan. There is no way to learn professions, there are no nodes to collect even if there were profession trainers, and enemies only let you go so far with experience. The worms also go extinct after a few quests, so you really can't do quests if you wanted to grind your butt off to tame this. Unless the level to tame exotics is fixed and put back to a reasonable level, Tunneling Worm is never going to be tameable, even if beast lore says it can be.
Aroim
Pet Finder

Unread post by Aroim »

"Azerite Gorger" are tameable

"Shalebiter" are still shown as tameable, but you still get the message that they are not tameable
Last edited by Aroim on Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Those new transparent finds are fantastic!

Also a pain, because I have to generate more new looks images :D
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
EnglishPhoenix
Realm: Cenarion Circle

Unread post by EnglishPhoenix »

Valnaaros wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:12 pm Betsy does not retain the corruption effect or the ribbons.
Well that sucks :(
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Oohhh I am so going to get that ghostly unicorn. Great find!

Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:41 pm Nighthold scorpids are still untameable, bleh. Beast Lore and Tame Beast not cooperating as usual. Hopefully dungeon mobs with this error are fixed a bit quicker than poor Anzu was.
EDIT: Running through dungeons and raids now to check tameables that may have been fixed (or broken further).

Stated as Tameable, But Cannot Be Tamed
- Venemous Spiderling - Nightmare spider, The Emerald Nightmare
- Screeching Spiderling - Yellow demon spider, The Emerald Nightmare
- Skorpyron - Blue crystal scorpid, The Nighthold
- Acidmaw Scorpid - Green crystal scorpid, The Nighthold
- Crystalline Scorpid - Blue crystal scorpid, The Nighthold
- Volatile Scorpid - Red crystal scorpid, The Nighthold
- Raigonn - Green kunchong, Gate of the Setting Sun (both before and after weak spot is defeated)

No Longer Tameable:
- The Prophet Tharon'ja - Skeletal wind serpent, Drak'tharon Keep
- Garalon - No longer a beast
Taming Anzu has a certain dungeon loot farm glitch going on right now that they likely think they fixed before slapping on the tameable tag for real, but seems to have not based on the forums. Might be why they're slower on the uptake on some of the dungeon boss mobs until they code a way to prevent repeats.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I don't know how that was even a problem. Other tameable raid bosses, excluding chimaeron, can just be tamed right away. No respawn, no loot, just a new pet and sometimes a broken dungeon/raid until soft reset.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The code changes over time, and something that may never have been a problem in the past may now become a problem due to changes to the code. That is why things like old quests and scenarios break.