Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Re: Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

Unread post by Dialga »

Question - what's the difference between Beta and PTR right now? I'd be willing to do pet tests but I haven't really played enough to know if PTR is useful or Beta gets differences from it.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

From what I've seen, Beta's only difference is that they can go to the Shadowlands and do content that is part of the expansion. PTR is everything outside of the expansion.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

worgpower wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:19 am
Wain wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:18 pm Oh that’s cool. Any idea if the owl steeds’ horns were fixed, when they turn their heads? I can check later, but the horns were driving through their necks and way out the other side
I feel like they should of made a bastion twist of their own windsteed, my dream was to get one until they turned into a entirely different creature that have feathers and it’s basically a wingless hippogryph, it would of been cooler if we got dragon horses, with the same color scheme, just a dragon’s head instead, and I feel like SL should of added Pegasi with the new models rather than more unicorns, I felt like bastion is the perfect place for that steed ridden by gods, but hey, we got winged lions, and I still don’t understand why bastion has rams, and I also feel like the saber cats in ardenweald should either use the new nightsaber model, or get their own ardenweald themed model or color, and bastion is one of the zones I’m dying to enter the most because it makes wow look like a different game, hopefully Blizz will add tameable windsteeds somewhere in pandaria
The owl steeds are basically the Bastion twist on windsteeds. If you compare the owl steeds to the Stewards, they are very similar in design.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

WerebearGuy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:42 am From what I've seen, Beta's only difference is that they can go to the Shadowlands and do content that is part of the expansion. PTR is everything outside of the expansion.
Basically this. The PTR is everything in old world content. Beta is everything in old world content and SL content.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

So I got beta access, and I'm amazed at the fact there's multiple new beast models you can tame within the first hour.

The weird Armor Hound with no flesh and the mawrats in the Maw, and then the new butterfly and wind serpent model in the beginning of Bastion.

Gonna have to enter Shadowlands without any pets with me at this rate. Gonna stock up on portable stables while the BFA mats are going cheap cause people are ditching their mats. Lol.

Also, I noticed in this thread, there's a Night Fae Exclusive Pet and a... was it Necrolord? Exclusive Pet. Only obtainable while doing their respective storylines. Is it possible this is intended and there's Venthyr/Kyrian exclusive pets that we haven't discovered yet?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Myzou wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:40 am So I got beta access, and I'm amazed at the fact there's multiple new beast models you can tame within the first hour.

The weird Armor Hound with no flesh and the mawrats in the Maw, and then the new butterfly and wind serpent model in the beginning of Bastion.

Gonna have to enter Shadowlands without any pets with me at this rate. Gonna stock up on portable stables while the BFA mats are going cheap cause people are ditching their mats. Lol.

Also, I noticed in this thread, there's a Night Fae Exclusive Pet and a... was it Necrolord? Exclusive Pet. Only obtainable while doing their respective storylines. Is it possible this is intended and there's Venthyr/Kyrian exclusive pets that we haven't discovered yet?
I don’t know if I would call it intended. There are beasts that can be found in all covenant questlines, but most aren’t anything special. It is just so happens that the Shadow of Dambala is unique, but there isn’t really anything like that elsewhere.

Having played through all of the Covenant questlines, there isn’t anything else to be found. The Shadow of Dambala wasn’t some secret pet that I discovered. You just find it naturally as you go through the quests.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Myzou wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:40 am So I got beta access, and I'm amazed at the fact there's multiple new beast models you can tame within the first hour.

I thought of the same thing for months, enter the maw, grab a soulseeker, then after entering bastion, grab some pets there
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

What's the Necrolord pet? Only one that got posted was the snake,as far as I saw.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

WerebearGuy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:47 am

What's the Necrolord pet? Only one that got posted was the snake,as far as I saw.
There are some boars and chimaera that can only be tamed in the Necrolord questline, but they aren't anything special.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Ah, gotcha.
Lee
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Moonguard | Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Lee »

This was the case in WoD too! I remember in the opening questline that you did, there were a handful of new pets... I think there were at least a hippo, an axebeak, and a ravager... I remember taming all of those and then running out of room.

I’m excited that the new expansion will start with a lot of new pets. That’s always exciting. I’ll need to stock up on portable stables too.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I just found out pterrordaxes updraft is missing, it’s still present in feathermanes but not pterrordaxes
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Lee wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:39 pm

This was the case in WoD too! I remember in the opening questline that you did, there were a handful of new pets... I think there were at least a hippo, an axebeak, and a ravager... I remember taming all of those and then running out of room.

I’m excited that the new expansion will start with a lot of new pets. That’s always exciting. I’ll need to stock up on portable stables too.
Only downside is there's quests to kill the beardog things so getting one will be a chore. The mawrats shouldnt be too hard.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I’m dying to have ghost-bear-armor constructs, and I also feel like The Kurken could move to the hound family, he is not molten, and he’s more hound like than any core hound, maybe drakeadon can also go to hounds, but maybe it’s better that they stay where they are, if we can tame Guarm on survival, 3 heads, why not kurken which is related to Guarm but only has 2 heads, I know the abomination is basically a non exotic core hound with one head, but I’m dying to have those seekers more than any hound
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Drakeadon is a core hound. It's one of Nefarian's very very very few successful experiments with core hounds and stolen dragon dna.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

WerebearGuy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:26 pm Drakeadon is a core hound. It's one of Nefarian's very very very few successful experiments with core hounds and stolen dragon dna.
That’s what I thought, but The Kurken would go well with hounds since they are not very fiery, and they are rather just a 2-headed dog, but I know since drakes can breathe fire too, drakeadons will stay, hopefully some day, we can also have a void hound of our own
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Yeah, Kurken is just some weird mutant hound. It's likely with the Core Hounds because it's similar in design, but it certainly fits the hound family now more than core hound since Guarm and its ilk resemble hydras, but are considered hounds. Changing them to a hound would probably make people mad, since that'd be turning a ferocity pet into a cunning pet, and also removing a heroism/bloodlust pet without gaining anything. It wouldn't bother me since I don't care for the kurken, but I'm sure owners would be upset at their pet becoming useless. Though, they did that with the tameable Worgen way back when, so it wouldn't be surprising.
Zagnutjones

Unread post by Zagnutjones »

So, are all the Hell Hounds now undead, or are the ones that were elements now beasts?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Zagnutjones wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:24 pm So, are all the Hell Hounds now undead, or are the ones that were elements now beasts?
They are all undead, so the tome will be required to tame them unless you are a Forsaken.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Valnaaros wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:27 pm
Zagnutjones wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:24 pm So, are all the Hell Hounds now undead, or are the ones that were elements now beasts?
They are all undead, so the tome will be required to tame them unless you are a Forsaken.
It’s pretty cool how they coded undead to be tameable just like mechs, I can now beast lore any undead now, which is pretty odd and funny at the same time, I can’t wait to have my blue hellhound once Shadowlands launches, even though i have it on the PTR, things are of course going to be more fun on release, I hope it won’t constantly disconnect me from the servers like the ptr did when it first released 9.0 prepatch testing