Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

Unread post by Valnaaros »

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:29 am Cloudfeather Patriarch is now named Cloudfeather Guardian. Thought I found a new thing, but it's just a rename.
The rename was added to the list of changes a few days ago and will be updated on the website soon :)
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

While not listed on the site right now, I assume this might be on that list of changes; Nesting Valeshrieker in Ardenweald retains its name when tamed. It also breaks the quest when tamed.

EDIT: I'm being teased with more plant hydras in Ardenweald, and they've literally got "Hydra" in the name.
Darknez

Realm: Bloodhoof - EU, Hellscream - EU

Unread post by Darknez »

WerebearGuy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:20 am It is genuinely impossible to tame Tunneling Worm on Kezan. There is no way to learn professions, there are no nodes to collect even if there were profession trainers, and enemies only let you go so far with experience. The worms also go extinct after a few quests, so you really can't do quests if you wanted to grind your butt off to tame this. Unless the level to tame exotics is fixed and put back to a reasonable level, Tunneling Worm is never going to be tameable, even if beast lore says it can be.
Would party-sync help here? i.e. potentially reducing your level and making quests repeatable? Not sure if you get xp that way mind.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Darknez wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:00 am
WerebearGuy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:20 am It is genuinely impossible to tame Tunneling Worm on Kezan. There is no way to learn professions, there are no nodes to collect even if there were profession trainers, and enemies only let you go so far with experience. The worms also go extinct after a few quests, so you really can't do quests if you wanted to grind your butt off to tame this. Unless the level to tame exotics is fixed and put back to a reasonable level, Tunneling Worm is never going to be tameable, even if beast lore says it can be.
Would party-sync help here? i.e. potentially reducing your level and making quests repeatable? Not sure if you get xp that way mind.
It can probably help to get unique pets that are only in one quest, probably like the chained brown helhound, spectral mana ray, and maybe the spectral cobra
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Sadly, can confirm that party sync doesn't help in Kezan. Same issue with Pandaren where you can't party sync at all. That early gyreworm is definitely untameable in practice.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

You can do Pet Battle quests in EK/Kalimdor on one toon and turn them in on another through the quest log. A lot of neutral Pandaren do that trick.

It should be entirely possible to do on a Goblin as well. It'd take a loooong time, but fundamentally it'd be possible.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Mind giving me a list of those pet battles? Cause I tried a few on live, and they didn't let me turn em in on my neutral panda.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:26 pm Mind giving me a list of those pet battles? Cause I tried a few on live, and they didn't let me turn em in on my neutral panda.
I'm not entire sure which ones. I just know it's possible. I've done it before. I think it's mainly the starting zone (Elwynn and such) ones.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Found the list of NPCs that can be done for account-wide exp, but there's sadly only five quests. For a fresh Goblin starting on Kezan, I can confirm that all five are viable.
- Old MacDonald
- Lindsay
- Eric Davidson
- Bill Buckler
- Dagra the Fierce

The experience gain is good; slightly more than a regular quest, does not reduce in effectiveness at any level (tested on my 65/20 Panda, got 1/8 of a level from the quest on PTR), and the quests are ridiculously quick. Some notes though;
- The first four must be done by an Alliance character, while Dagra requires a Horde character.
- These DO work for Neutral Pandaren on the Wandering Isle.
- Neutral Pandaren get the benefit of a rest area for instant logouts, Kezan Goblins do not.
- Kezan Goblins should NOT do any quests aside from the daily pet battle quests, as the Tunneling Worm beasts do not respawn after the first few quests.
- Kezan Goblins do not have profession nodes, so they must rely on daily quests.
- All opponents die with one to two attacks from a Teroclaw Hatchling that spams Alpha Strike.

Kezan Goblins will take FOREVER to level this way, but this proves that it's doable now. Finding the right quests was a pain in the butt since obvious searches kept leading to leveing battle pets (despite "LEVEL ALT" being present in the AskJeeves search), but we have it here for future abuse now, woo. Is it worth leveling a Kezan Goblin this way though? It is a topaz shale worm with a very strong green glow, so it IS unique. More so than Guardian of the Elders which is just a normal quilen with a fancy name. Are you mad enough to do it? Prepatch is on the 13th, so it's pointless to check this on ptr/beta right now as you objectively won't reach 39 on PTR as a Kezan Goblin in time. I'll be busy doing this for my new neutral Pandaren (cause my current 65 killed Zhao-Ren before the tameable cloud serpent announcements), so someone else will have to do the madness.
Darknez

Realm: Bloodhoof - EU, Hellscream - EU

Unread post by Darknez »

Maizou wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:20 pm You can do Pet Battle quests in EK/Kalimdor on one toon and turn them in on another through the quest log. A lot of neutral Pandaren do that trick.

It should be entirely possible to do on a Goblin as well. It'd take a loooong time, but fundamentally it'd be possible.
How cunning ;)
Is that worm a unique skin to put all that effort in though?
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

As I mentioned, it is indeed unique enough to be a faux "badge of honor" to show off. It's the only topaz-colored shale worm that has a strong green glow. Take note of the three tameables here;
https://www.wowhead.com/npc=34865/tunneling-worm
https://www.wowhead.com/npc=50060/terborus
https://www.wowhead.com/npc=70589/cavern-burrower

While the latter two require a bit more observation to see the green glow in their mouths, the worm in the Goblin starting zone is a VERY strong glow. Other worms with glowing mouths keep that strong glow when tamed. Wain's got a lot of work to do to show the ACTUAL variation in the many shale worms!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:17 am As I mentioned, it is indeed unique enough to be a faux "badge of honor" to show off. It's the only topaz-colored shale worm that has a strong green glow. Take note of the three tameables here;

While the latter two require a bit more observation to see the green glow in their mouths, the worm in the Goblin starting zone is a VERY strong glow. Other worms with glowing mouths keep that strong glow when tamed. Wain's got a lot of work to do to show the ACTUAL variation in the many shale worms!
Huh, that's odd. I'll check that out. Thanks!
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Aroim
Pet Finder

Unread post by Aroim »

Wain wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:23 am
WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:17 am As I mentioned, it is indeed unique enough to be a faux "badge of honor" to show off. It's the only topaz-colored shale worm that has a strong green glow. Take note of the three tameables here;

Huh, that's odd. I'll check that out. Thanks!
I had posted it on twitter, these guys also have this strong glow, since they unfortunately cannot be tamed like so many things in dungeons and raids, I can't say whether they'll keep it
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I just realized that I hate the delay. IF they fix the pink elekks that spawn during Brewfest so you can tame them, then it'll be a whole year before we can test their taming availability. Prepatch is next week, while Brewfest ends this week. At least there's the pink elekks in Terokkar Forest (Outland) to keep requesting. Still haven't found a valid method of aggroing it so we can tame them.
Kalasta
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Uther

Unread post by Kalasta »

Meet my new feathermane, St.Mark.
Attachments
St Mark 2.JPG
St Mark 2.JPG (118.35 KiB) Viewed 5119 times
St Mark 1.JPG
St Mark 1.JPG (87.99 KiB) Viewed 5119 times

A big thank-you to Tårnfalk for re-sizing this sig pic.

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Fun side note; there's some deer and stags in the quest chain "Visions of the Dreamer:", and although friendly and unlisted as beast, they show that they are tameable. The only thing you can do to them is right click to eat them. I'm totally taming a Patterned Grey Stag and naming it Food.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (184.41 KiB) Viewed 5106 times
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:47 pm Fun side note; there's some deer and stags in the quest chain "Visions of the Dreamer:", and although friendly and unlisted as beast, they show that they are tameable. The only thing you can do to them is right click to eat them. I'm totally taming a Patterned Grey Stag and naming it Food.
Capture.PNG
That’s the funniest name for an NPC, and the tameability flag makes it funnier
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Got into Beta today am running around taming things, seeing how you get to areas etc.

For taming undead things in the beta right now, do you have to go find the book that teaches the skill? Or can you buy the book somewhere? Or is the skill already unlocked?
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Forsaken have it by default (total BS, but that's my opinion), but you have to find the tome somewhere for other races. The tome's location is entirely unknown sadly, so if you find it, you have a duty more important than even breathing to report that. It's been a mystery for too long.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

I mean, if Forsaken have it by default, so should humans.

Considering you know how to tame them when you're resurrected, that means you knew how to tame them as a human.