Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Hunters currently can’t be used in Torghast. Blizz is only allowing DHs and a couple of other classes in right now for testing.

If it is like the Island Expeditions, then they may not be made tamable. I know that there are certain buffs and such that are obtained by killing different mobs in Torghast, and I wouldn’t be surprised if you eventually gain currency based off of kills.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Thank you for all your hard work Wain. The foxes look amazing. I want them all! Lol
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've added "soulseekers" to the page of Shadowlands potentials: https://www.wow-petopia.com/shadowlands ... oulseekers

This is the name I've (temporarily?) given these armoured spirit creatures from the Maw. Most are classed as Beasts, and they could make pretty interesting Spirit Beasts, but perhaps they'd be better off with those skeletal / elemental hounds, or the other "shadow beasts" on that page.

I based the name I'm giving them on a search of NPCs that use that model. There was no naming convention that was completely consistent, but a lot had "seeker" in their name, and one was called "soulseeker" and it seemed to fit.

I took these shots using Wowhead, since WMV doesn't render the shadow effects right now.
jailerhound_black.jpg
jailerhound_black.jpg (164.34 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
jailerhound_gray.jpg
jailerhound_gray.jpg (167.1 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
jailerhound_white.jpg
jailerhound_white.jpg (166.13 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Pokcmvmxckm
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sen'jin NA

Unread post by Pokcmvmxckm »

I dearly hope the https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=152 ... remorbeastis tamable, its got to be one of my personal favorite models in Shadowlands. It uses a modified Dragon rig, but its flagged as a beast witch gives me hope. Its a mob in Torghast, when you kill it, it drops a unique anima power up that lets you chose from one of 2 powers. The way I would envision taming it would work is Hunters would get an extra chose to spawn a tamable version, forgoing the power ups for a new spooky friend!
Attachments
shadebeast.jpg
shadebeast.jpg (102.09 KiB) Viewed 5292 times
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Pokcmvmxckm wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:14 am I dearly hope the https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=152 ... remorbeastis tamable, its got to be one of my personal favorite models in Shadowlands. It uses a modified Dragon rig, but its flagged as a beast witch gives me hope. Its a mob in Torghast, when you kill it, it drops a unique anima power up that lets you chose from one of 2 powers. The way I would envision taming it would work is Hunters would get an extra chose to spawn a tamable version, forgoing the power ups for a new spooky friend!
I fear that the Torghast location, unless there's one somewhere else, might be the nail in the coffin so to speak. :(

Like Islands and Visions I can't see them flagging creatures inside as tameable because it's such a special scenario and taming something could mess with the system inside. I really wanted one of these too though. ;_;
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

I mean, it'd be an easy Spirit Beast rare for them to add skulking through the Shadowlands as some kind of visage of the Maw seeping into the rest of the Shadowlands, or something like that.

Personally, I find it a bit weird since it uses the dragon rig as mentioned before. Its animations are mainly tailored around being big, hulking, lumbering. It'd be hard to see it being the size of, say, a Devilsaur or smaller and using that run animation, while it follows you on your mount, or its swim animation, which utilizes its wings heavily which it does not have. But that's just me. If that stuff irked me, I'd probably just not get it- so it's not an argument for me for why it shouldn't happen.

It could be for Blizzard, though.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

According to the Revendreth Preview, Gargons are all beasts that were created from chistled stone. So this basically confirms that the Gargons are the reason that Quilen are renamed to Stone Hounds.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:05 pm According to the Revendreth Preview, Gargons are all beasts that were created from chistled stone. So this basically confirms that the Gargons are the reason that Quilen are renamed to Stone Hounds.
Aha! Thanks :)
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Feels weird that they're hounds. They look like bears in every way lol.
Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

An important message for hunters.

On Shadowlands, if you target your pet, they turn their head toward you.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Inay wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:15 pm An important message for hunters.

On Shadowlands, if you target your pet, they turn their head toward you.
Oh how awesome! I hadn't noticed this :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

goldstoneturtle.png
goldstoneturtle.png (647.24 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
Gold and turquoise stone turtle in Bastion (Lumbering Crystalback). Fancy!! :o

I only spotted one stone turtle in the area, while there were a number of regular gold dragon turtles about. I'm wondering if the stone version is a rarer spawn in place of the regular one, like we saw in Suramar. This is just a guess at this stage. It was definitely not a vignette/rare/named beast, it had a generic name, but there was only the one.

I'm hoping I can find one of the magenta/bronze/jade ones somewhere. They're also very eye-catching.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

In north-west Revendrath there are blazing darkhounds ('Smoldering Bonemauler'). Unfortunately they're not currently tameable (they're also one level above me, but I don't think that would have stopped them being shown as tameable), but hopefully they'll be set flagged and we'll finally all have access to that look :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

A couple more notes from Revendreth tonight. It's a lovely zone, much darker and less 'pretty' than Bastion, but also I think far more visually interesting, nuanced and textured. My feeling is that this applies to the characters as well as the visuals, but it's early days for both zones and it's unfair to judge them too much at this stage. Also, it could be just my personal reaction to both zones.

Most things there are untameable at the moment, but fortunately there are still some fun things to tame.

There are at least two tameable colours of Gargon (with 2-3+ more untameable colours), and they look pretty awesome! Here's Doom:
Gargon-Doom.png
Gargon-Doom.png (550.07 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
The other tameable colour is the pale white one.

All the colours of the new bat model can be seen in that zone, but they're currently untameable, as are the bloodfeaster-like animites (the latter are all aberrations).

Most unexpected though are the tameable *horses* (as Stags). Yes, regular horses. They're called Sinrunners, and if they're intended they're the first regular horses to be tameable.
sinrunner.png
sinrunner.png (682.47 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

I hope the horses, and dream runners will branch off to their own family, horses without horns wouldn’t make sense to be in a family dedicated to deer or antelope, but the sin runner is what I want along with a gargon, I’m dying to have the grey with white mane
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

The stag family should get a rename to encompass all the hoofed animals it has now. Stone Hound felt weird at first, but fits since the new bears (gargons are totally bears, you can't convince me otherwise) are in them. There's all sorts of horse-like creatures in there, and they are not stags at all from an animal perspective.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Awesome news on the horses!
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

If all forms of Gorm (which I actually doubt, but it would be nice) were to become tameable, all of them, minus arguably the wasps, could be their own family.

But that would require Blizzard considering the small ones good enough to be hunter pets and for the big G'huun ones to get swimming animations.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Smyelmdar
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem/Kilrogg/Nagrand EU

Unread post by Smyelmdar »

Wain wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:26 pm

There are at least two tameable colours of Gargon (with 2-3+ more untameable colours), and they look pretty awesome! Here's Doom:

Gargon-Doom.png

The other tameable colour is the pale white one.
If only that would be the bear form of Venthyr druids, and we would get the Venthyr as allied races. Now that would be really nice. :D

I'll be waiting on the highland, with its wonderful serenity.
Where the stars glow and the brooks flow, that's my way of life.
When the mountains on the highland, and the nature is surrounding me, when the wind blows, that's all I need.

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

I would love to see Faun and Venthyr druids, I would love to see ardenweald themed forms, and also venthyr with gargon as bear form as mentioned above, and a dark hound as a cat form, that would be neat