Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Re: Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Knowing when undead doesn't mean you knew when alive. Undead in Warcraft have shown that they learn stuff just like any non-undead would, and normal living people tend to avoid dealing with the undead when it's not a hammer to a decrepit skull. A better way to look at it would be that you're taming a devilsaur, or a wind serpent, or whatever. It's just a <insert animal type>, but with less skin. That's it. If you could tame a living Devilsaur, you should be able to tame an undead Devilsaur. The tome isn't even necessary to tame creatures that are from the Shadowlands, which is hilarious since they're significantly more undead than zombie dinosaurs.

Hot take, but the tome for undead taming is a bad design choice since it's more or less pointless, in my opinion. The tome is just a needless macguffin that's necessary for a few vanity options that are sadly terrible pets anyway, for the most part. So many cunning pets...
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:42 pm Knowing when undead doesn't mean you knew when alive. Undead in Warcraft have shown that they learn stuff just like any non-undead would, and normal living people tend to avoid dealing with the undead when it's not a hammer to a decrepit skull. A better way to look at it would be that you're taming a devilsaur, or a wind serpent, or whatever. It's just a <insert animal type>, but with less skin. That's it. If you could tame a living Devilsaur, you should be able to tame an undead Devilsaur. The tome isn't even necessary to tame creatures that are from the Shadowlands, which is hilarious since they're significantly more undead than zombie dinosaurs.

Hot take, but the tome for undead taming is a bad design choice since it's more or less pointless, in my opinion. The tome is just a needless macguffin that's necessary for a few vanity options that are sadly terrible pets anyway, for the most part. So many cunning pets...
I also feel like it’s a bad design choice especially if the source is hard or very time consuming, I like the concept, just not the design, I used to think that the fel wolf taming was a good concept, I was hoping a hunter that can use a toy that turns an undead beast changing classifications from “Undead” to “Beast” and then click tame
Tarma

Unread post by Tarma »

Sorry to interrupt the undead pet talk, but I was just on the beta and it looks like Tsulong is no longer tameable. I filed it as a bug report, since he used to be tameable, but it may be deliberate. I checked the Azure Serpent in Shado-Pan Monastery, and he's still tameable.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Odd, I'm on the beta right now, and I just tamed Tsulong. I didn't get the book when I first started beta, but I went in and tamed it after grabbing Huolon. Did you try taming it, or just beast lore?

EDIT: Just to make sure I wasn't talking out my rear, I did a quick and sloppy video to prove it. Excuse my hilariously slow camera panning, I was too lazy to change my output frame size in OBS and I'm not moving very fast right now.
https://gfycat.com/artisticuntidycob
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I think the sentient serpents should be untameable, with the exception of Elegon which is a spiritual-construct, some serpents should be given more skins, and maybe a NPC we can find somewhere in Pandaria similar to Freckles which may spawn as most of the regular colors & regular skins with lightning, I think that’s a fine idea, we’ve been given a new horse npc that takes on looks alliance can’t get, why can’t we get a cloud serpent version of Freckles in Pandaria?
Tarma

Unread post by Tarma »

WerebearGuy wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:38 am Odd, I'm on the beta right now, and I just tamed Tsulong. I didn't get the book when I first started beta, but I went in and tamed it after grabbing Huolon. Did you try taming it, or just beast lore?

EDIT: Just to make sure I wasn't talking out my rear, I did a quick and sloppy video to prove it. Excuse my hilariously slow camera panning, I was too lazy to change my output frame size in OBS and I'm not moving very fast right now.
https://gfycat.com/artisticuntidycob
I tried taming and was getting the message 'this creature is not tameable'. I tried when he first goes attackable and then when he was at about fifty percent and then a few more times before he died. I'm guessing it must have been a bug, which is a relief, because I really want him for my hunter. Maybe because I learned the book on my mage and not my hunter it sent something wonky? I didn't have any problems with any of the other cloud serpents (Huolon, one of the standard red ones from Timeless Isle, or the Azure Serpent I tried afterwards), but Tsulong was not having a bar of it.

Thank you for double-checking!
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

worgpower wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:58 am I think the sentient serpents should be untameable,
Eh, I don't think it should be seen as a problem.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Corabear

Unread post by Corabear »

I found the Shadow Croaker!

There was only one hiding in the whole area.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Now that's a very random location. Nice find! That's 4/6 Ardenweald toad skins on tameable mobs now.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Nice find!
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Alrighty, this is the toad I wanted, I’ll grab that one, imma go update my pet want list
Edit-where’s my coppertop toad, aka robot toad, if we can have robot chickens, rabbits, and squirrels, why not the coppertop toad from mechagon
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Corabear wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:59 am I found the Shadow Croaker!
Thank you! That's a gorgeous find! I've been really hoping for that one :)

I've updated the site for the basic details and reported it on Twitter, acknowledging you.

Thanks again, and welcome to the forums! :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

For anyone who has been checking Exile's Reach, I finally recorded all the pets. Please check the list (which runs to a second page) here:
https://www.wow-petopia.com/search.php? ... pcoming=on
And please let me know if you think anything is missing. Besides friendly things I think the only one that was untameable was Bloodbeak. I've so far only completed it on Alliance, so there's always a chance I've missed a Horde-only quest spawn.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Zarola
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Tanaris

Unread post by Zarola »

Best fainting couch for all tamers.
Hippo Couch.jpg
Hippo Couch.jpg (44.21 KiB) Viewed 3518 times
Only $95,000.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

That's more of a chair than a couch, unless that perspective is skewed too much. I'd totally want that as a pet though, not a couch.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Wain wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:32 pm For anyone who has been checking Exile's Reach, I finally recorded all the pets. Please check the list (which runs to a second page) here:
https://www.wow-petopia.com/search.php? ... pcoming=on
And please let me know if you think anything is missing. Besides friendly things I think the only one that was untameable was Bloodbeak. I've so far only completed it on Alliance, so there's always a chance I've missed a Horde-only quest spawn.
I still remember taming Bloodbeak on PTR, I literally paused that part of exile’s reach, I had to leave for a while, then go back, then completed it, sucks it won’t stay, but hey, hunters can go to highmountain and get irewing and then choose wherever they would like
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Corabear wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:59 am I found the Shadow Croaker!

[images]

There was only one hiding in the whole area.
Do you remember if there was a certain World Quest up or anything else that might have triggered it to be there? I went to take a look for Goth Frog in beta just now but there's none on that location. ;w;

With the wiped characters all I've done so far on my new one is unlock my covenant+WQs, not sure if there's anything else I might have to open.
Corabear

Unread post by Corabear »

There was the world quest up to close 4 rifts. I don’t remember what it was called. I’ve been back a couple times to check and he’s not always up.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Corabear wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:44 pm There was the world quest up to close 4 rifts. I don’t remember what it was called. I’ve been back a couple times to check and he’s not always up.
Oooh, maybe he's tied to that then. Thanks! I'll keep my character parked there and check intermittently. Great find by the way!
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

This got me thinking; what if the bone binding tome is locked behind a world quest on a random mob?