Shadowlands Pet Bugs & Suggestions

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Re: Shadowlands Pet Bugs & Suggestions

Unread post by Quiv »

To make the Exotic Beast issue even more confusing, not only could I tame an Exotic pet before level 39, I can use it as my Animal Companion prior to 39, just not as main pet. I know Animal Companion doesn't bring anything family related, but everything about this feels weird.

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

That’s cool, I know it’s not awesome about the ability thing, but that’s sick, good find, gonna tell all low level BM hunters to tame up and use it as AC
Shadisar
Realm: Un'Goro

Unread post by Shadisar »

My Peterrodax pet has lost updraft! No longer in the book.
Un'Goro Crater version.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

They gotta bring it back or replace it with something else, right now it’s basically an exotic version of a goat, with wings and teeth
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Oof, so we won't be able to get updraft until shadowlands level 50? Or will we be able to learn Feathermanes at a lower level? Even in areas I can fly, it's just fun to be able to use updraft casually.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

GormanGhaste wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:37 pm Oof, so we won't be able to get updraft until shadowlands level 50? Or will we be able to learn Feathermanes at a lower level? Even in areas I can fly, it's just fun to be able to use updraft casually.
Nowadays, it’s pretty easy to get the tome, all we need to do is take time into the class hall campaign, breaching the tomb, and then do the mount quest, we don’t need pathfinder for class mounts cuz I got mine without it, and for the classes who have extra mounts, like hunters, pallys, and rogues can get free mounts in the collection, and the tome is required lvl 45 on prepatch, and I can’t wait to get my larion and owlsteed, hopefully hunters can solo zul for the blood soaked tome in SL, I will probably make groups for hunters that want the tome, hopefully pterrordaxes will get updraft back or maybe a new ability in place, I do suggest on starting the class campaign and breaching the tomb now and you’ll probably get it before prepatch even comes
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Sorry I wasn't clearer, I was asking about feathermane pets for alts, because right now alts can't tame them until 110, which I assumed would translate to 50 in shadowlands. Nice to know it will be a little lower at 45.

(I do still need the blood-soaked tome, though! As you say, hopefully will be able to do with one or two friends at max level.)
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

GormanGhaste wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:31 pm Sorry I wasn't clearer, I was asking about feathermane pets for alts, because right now alts can't tame them until 110, which I assumed would translate to 50 in shadowlands. Nice to know it will be a little lower at 45.

(I do still need the blood-soaked tome, though! As you say, hopefully will be able to do with one or two friends at max level.)
I think currently 120 equates 50 with the squish, so 45 is actually where it would be anyways at 110.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

If you all want the blood soaked tome and form a group for normal, message me from my BNet tag Diablo15#1972, I’ll respond to your messages whenever I’m available, this it off topic for this thread, so I’m letting you know
Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU Wildhammer

Unread post by Aggannor »

So, the melee range of the Pterrordax pets seems to be bugged on live after the prepatch. While other pets stand right next to their opponent, Pterrordaxes stand (by my assumption) 15-20 yards away from their target, while still being able to hit them/be hit by them.

Not only does this look very wrong and could possibly allow some unintended usage, it also makes the Stomp talent useless if you're using a Pterrordax: because Stomp has a limited range of roughly 8 yards, your Stomps will constantly hit nothing as your pet is that 15-20 yards away from the target, making this talent worth 0 DPS.

EDIT: It also seems that Pterrordaxes are missing the Updraft ability: only Ancient Hide is visible in in the pet spellbook.
Attachments
Pterrordax melee range
Pterrordax melee range
Pterrordax melee.jpg (96.64 KiB) Viewed 11576 times
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks for your report!

I’ve updated the OP with the latest bug info. Is there anything I’m missing, or anything out of date?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Aggannor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU Wildhammer

Unread post by Aggannor »

It seems that couple Exotic families are missing one of their two family skills:
  • Aqiri are missing Dune Strider (passive increased movement speed)
  • Shale Beasts are missing Shimmering Shale (passive reduced magic damage taken)
  • Pterrordaxes are missing Updraft (slow fall skill) (Feathermanes have this skill, so it was only removed from Pterrordaxes)
  • Clefthoofs are missing Blood of the Rhino (passive increased armor and healing taken) (Already listed)
I went through all the Exotic families and the results are listed above. I didn't go through all the Normal families because of the sheer number of them, but the ones that I did check (Bears, Birds of Prey, Feathermanes, all of which have a extra skill for flavor) seemed to have everything in order.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Aggannor wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:36 am It seems that couple Exotic families are missing one of their two family skills:
  • Aqiri are missing Dune Strider (passive increased movement speed)
  • Shale Beasts are missing Shimmering Shale (passive reduced magic damage taken)
  • Pterrordaxes are missing Updraft (slow fall skill) (Feathermanes have this skill, so it was only removed from Pterrordaxes)
  • Clefthoofs are missing Blood of the Rhino (passive increased armor and healing taken) (Already listed)
I went through all the Exotic families and the results are listed above. I didn't go through all the Normal families because of the sheer number of them, but the ones that I did check (Bears, Birds of Prey, Feathermanes, all of which have a extra skill for flavor) seemed to have everything in order.
Thanks! I had seen reports on the other exotics but wanted to double check before I listed them. It seems other family abilities are also appearing at strange and random levels too.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Skelelmyrn
Realm: Bloodhoof and Uther

Unread post by Skelelmyrn »

I just posted about the Exotic bugs in the main Shadowlands Beasts thread, and I submitted a bug on them through the in game tool.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I noticed how pets animate turning has changed. When you're running along, and your pet changes direction, it snaps to the new orientation. I'm pretty certain they used to take several frames to turn, so it didn't look so jarring. I first noticed a few days before prepatch, on the beta and compared my pets motion on live. I've since noticed it with other npcs too, I think (although I can't check the old behavior). When an npc is wandering around, and they change direction while in motion, they snap to the new orientation. If they are stationary and change orientation, they animate turning (same with pets actually). I don't know if it's a side-effect of whatever changes they made for head turning, but I don't like either change, especially on pets.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I've noticed that too, Xota. I personally adore the head turning, but the weird turning animation change is SUPER jarring. At first I thought it was only on cloud serpents, but I think it's just most obvious with them due to how long they are.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Xota wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:46 pm I noticed how pets animate turning has changed. When you're running along, and your pet changes direction, it snaps to the new orientation. I'm pretty certain they used to take several frames to turn, so it didn't look so jarring. I first noticed a few days before prepatch, on the beta and compared my pets motion on live. I've since noticed it with other npcs too, I think (although I can't check the old behavior). When an npc is wandering around, and they change direction while in motion, they snap to the new orientation. If they are stationary and change orientation, they animate turning (same with pets actually). I don't know if it's a side-effect of whatever changes they made for head turning, but I don't like either change, especially on pets.
Was curious about this as I hadn't noticed, but I think you're right. I had a gif saved from early beta that I was able to use as a comparison mark, posted them both on my twitter (the old gif is in the reply)
https://twitter.com/vephriel/status/1324498578945945602
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

I mean the actual whole npc turning. Like for pets, if you're running and you strafe or turn a little bit, your pet rotates to stay in formation. It's currently instantaneous, and it didn't used to be. The wild NPCs I watched it on were some tigers on the Windward Island in Jade Forest (where cloud serpent quests are). When one does a little patrol around it's spawn point, it sometimes snaps (changing direction while walking), and sometimes rotates over a few frames (when stationary at corners). Sometimes that stuff is done with "Animation Blending Operation", and will be accidentally set to Off (like when you stutter strafe on a BfA pterrordax mount). Or maybe the way their rotation is set has changed, I don't know how to test that.

I think classic still has the correct way of turning. I don't have a hunter with pets, but you can see the difference in some wandering npcs. I'm seeing what I need to make gifs, but for an example, in the both classic and retail versions of the starting orc area (Valley of Trials), there's some boars just to the north of where your new character spawns. Before the prepatch, that's how npcs/pets moved in retail too.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

On the subject of turned head, though, this is why I dislike it:
elekk pet not looking where it should
elekk pet not looking where it should
turned head.png (362.22 KiB) Viewed 9090 times
That's how she stands and how she runs, 95%+ of the time. Her left tusk, which should stick out to the left, crosses over the meridian to her right side. And you can't see it in that screenshot but her frill clips through her back when she's standing still.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

I really, really hope they just get rid of the head turn based on proximity and maybe keep it based on your pet being targeted.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!