I'm glad Cloud Serpent will be tamable, but...

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I'm glad Cloud Serpent will be tamable, but...

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

Thank you Blizzard, for all of the amazing surprise of diversifying each pet group by including more models that would certainly enhance our class fantasy.

I'm glad Cloud Serpent will be tamable, but I feel that it should be in its own family. I feel that the Cloud Serpent is distinct enough: the family have visible four limbs, and other features like both horns, crest, mane/hair that it's different enough than the garden variety serpents.

I feel that the cloud serpent have a very special place in lore. Cloud serpents were trained to fight the Zandalari and according to lore, a beast worthy enough to be a companion of the Dragonmaw.

I also feel that giving Cloud Serpent only the evasion family ability of the serpent is a wasted potential. Like the Feathermane family, I feel that if the Cloud Serpent is its own family, it can learn a family ability and a bonus ability since we both need tomes to learn to tame them.

My idea would be to make Cloud Serpent as either a ferocity or a cunning pet, that learns a defensive family ability, and also a bonus Slow Fall ability.

Sorry for any grammar mistakes. English is not my first language.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: I'm glad Cloud Serpent will be tamable, but...

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I also agree. Cloud Serpents should be there own family.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

ace_of_hearth wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:14 pm Thank you Blizzard, for all of the amazing surprise of diversifying each pet group by including more models that would certainly enhance our class fantasy.

I'm glad Cloud Serpent will be tamable, but I feel that it should be in its own family. I feel that the Cloud Serpent is distinct enough: the family have visible four limbs, and other features like both horns, crest, mane/hair that it's different enough than the garden variety serpents.

I feel that the cloud serpent have a very special place in lore. Cloud serpents were trained to fight the Zandalari and according to lore, a beast worthy enough to be a companion of the Dragonmaw.

I also feel that giving Cloud Serpent only the evasion family ability of the serpent is a wasted potential. Like the Feathermane family, I feel that if the Cloud Serpent is its own family, it can learn a family ability and a bonus ability since we both need tomes to learn to tame them.

My idea would be to make Cloud Serpent as either a ferocity or a cunning pet, that learns a defensive family ability, and also a bonus Slow Fall ability.

I second that, they don’t fit in normal serpents, either a new family or wind serpents cuz they have limbs which are their wings
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

I actually thought Cloud Serpents were going to be their own family before the servers went back up, haha. Just that this build didn't have the family yet.

I feel like Cloud Serpents could work in the Wind Serpent family or their own, so I agree.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I think with the tome and everything they feel like they deserve their own family. I'll admit I'm not too pressed about it, as long as I can tame something I'm not as concerned what it's classified as, but they do seem a bit special.

On a vaguely related note, does anyone else feel like we should get the aqir serpents now as well? They're the same skeleton and they'd go along well with the other N'zoth beasts we were able to tame. I just think they're cute flying leeches and would be a neat counterpart to cloud serpents aesthetically.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Honestly, I feel the the parasitic serpent and the abyssal serpents should be tamable as blood beasts.

I honestly feel that pets with only evasion ability are the least desirable. The only saving grace they have is their aesthetics.

That's why I really hope we can teach and train our pets with skills that other pets have.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I would love to have the aqir serpents!
Nazja
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Nazja »

I agree that they are too distinct from other pets in the serpent family and ought to have one of their own. Either Cloud Serpents, if we want to be precise as possible, or Dragonkin, if we want to leave the window open for future additions.

However, should they receive a family of their own, I worry that Blizzard might turn them into the Exotic pet family of SL. They kind of fit the criteria for being exotic, given their ties to mythical beasts like dragons, better than many pets families that are currently counted as being exotic.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Nazja wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:26 am I agree that they are too distinct from other pets in the serpent family and ought to have one of their own. Either Cloud Serpents, if we want to be precise as possible, or Dragonkin, if we want to leave the window open for future additions.

However, should they receive a family of their own, I worry that Blizzard might turn them into the Exotic pet family of SL. They kind of fit the criteria for being exotic, given their ties to mythical beasts like dragons, better than many pets families that are currently counted as being exotic.
They don't have to rename the group as Dragonkin to make future tames to be possible. Some pet families had been renamed after Blizzard allowed other pets to be tamed into that family: rhinos for example was renamed into Clefthoof.

I don't think they would be an exotic family if they were in their own group, the same way how Feathermane didn't.
Ashaine
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Silver Hand (H) Scarlet Crusade (A)

Unread post by Ashaine »

I was hoping for a dragonkin family. But that just might be because my ultimate hope is to have a Sprite Darter Hatchling pet someday! I do love that Cloud Serpents are tameable though! It's a step in a wonderful direction! <3

Ashaine Silverfel - <Dreadblade Assassins> - Silver Hand US - Faileas#1676
Deviantart | Facebook | Signature Shop | Flight Rising
"Not all who wander are lost."

Guildmaster • Hunter-Friendly RP Guild • Always Recruiting! • PM me!

Nazja
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Nazja »

ace_of_hearth wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:21 am They don't have to rename the group as Dragonkin to make future tames to be possible. Some pet families had been renamed after Blizzard allowed other pets to be tamed into that family: rhinos for example was renamed into Clefthoof.

I don't think they would be an exotic family if they were in their own group, the same way how Feathermane didn't.
Yeah, they don’t need to future-proof the name given that, as you said, family names can be changed when needed. The two names I mentioned were simply two proposals I felt would make the most sense.

Blizzard is a bit weird when it comes to classifying exotic pets, imo. Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t make sense of most of their selections.

Spirit Beasts and Devilsaurs? I can get behind that, but why worms? The only justification I can think of is that their association with dragons in mythology somehow influenced Blizzard. Feathermanes, on the other hand, would have been a perfect choice for the exotic beasts category.

Having said that, I would rather the exotic pet restriction go the way of the dodo. I don’t particularly enjoy my spec choice taking away my decision of which pet I can or can not use.
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

Honestly you could merge wind serpents, cloud serpents, and dragon hawks into one family.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

Merge serpents and wind serpents or change names to something more clear what defines the families like "dirt noodles" and "air noodles".
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Bambu wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:59 am"dirt noodles" and "air noodles"
I endorse these family names.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Bambu wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:59 am Merge serpents and wind serpents or change names to something more clear what defines the families like "dirt noodles" and "air noodles".
This is the most accurate description of those beasts, I STAN!

OR

Wind Serpents and Dragonhawks as Feather Noodles, and Cloud Serpent as Cloud Noodles!
Byne
Realm: Azjol-Nerub US

Unread post by Byne »

Honestly my major issue with tameable cloud serpents is that as of right now, most of the colors arent tameable.
Lamiara
Realm: EU- Moonglade, Darkmoon Faire

Unread post by Lamiara »

Wind Serpents and Dragonhawks are Amphiteres and thus part of the draconic family.
They could probably be merged now that their signature moves (Lightning for WS and Firebreath for DH) have been removed. I'd rather they unprune it, though.
Cloud Serpents are indeed better in the serpent family. We already have (limbless) dragons in there with the wyrms.
Also, traditionally, "dragon" was a word for anything that resembled a huge snake, with or without additional limbs and/or wings, so it fits.

I just wish they'd make a whole lot of colours available while they are at it.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'd support Cloud Serpents having their own family.

But if we group all the flying ones as separate from the more mundane/ground ones I'd suggest calling the flying ones something like 'Wyrms', and leave the ground ones as Serpents.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Wain wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:00 am I'd support Cloud Serpents having their own family.

But if we group all the flying ones as separate from the more mundane/ground ones I'd suggest calling the flying ones something like 'Wyrms', and leave the ground ones as Serpents.
Sounds like a good idea, it’s strange how we have more flying serpents in the serpent family than wind serpent, makes no sense to me, naming the family to Wyrm is a great idea, and it sucks how most of our serpent friends are cunning
Orky72
Realm: Raventhold

Unread post by Orky72 »

ace_of_hearth wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:14 pm Thank you Blizzard, for all of the amazing surprise of diversifying each pet group by including more models that would certainly enhance our class fantasy.

The Heavenly Black Cloud Serpent can't be tamed, the beast lore spell said that is tameable, but I tried a few time and dont let me. And yes I bought the book to learn how to tame them. I was succesful with Elegon but not with Tsulong.