Undead That Could Be Beasts But Aren't (Yet?)

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Undead That Could Be Beasts But Aren't (Yet?)

Unread post by Kurasu »

Now that Shadowlands opening is hitting the PTR, how about making a list of undead creatures that *could/should be* tameable (and maybe bringing attention to them and reminding folks they're here can get the trigger switched). I've been running around doing some looking and testing, and so far found a couple that aren't tameable (but should be). I know there's others out there that haven't been tested or got lost in the shuffle.

Stand-out ones that I've tested so far:
- Skeletal Gryphons in Dragonblight. They're a separate model from their rider, and could *easily* be flagged as tameable (as there's some that fly in accessible places).
- Skeletal Horses in Karazhan. There's a whole 'Courser' family now. How about these beauties (cough) get flagged into it? We have some undead horses from Shadowfang Keep; it makes sense these should work too.
- Midnight (original Karazhan). Wouldn't be the first raid boss we've been able to tame!
- Midnight (new Karazhan). OK, I admit I haven't tested this one at all, so I may be jumping the gun and she's *already* tameable, but come on! Wouldn't it be awesome?

Let's try to keep it to those undead that share body types (or approximate ones) with living creatures, though; I know it would be fun to have your own pet Frostwyrm, but I'm talking about ones that could feasibly be brought in. And if you're wamnting to talk about the ones that *are* tameable, there's a different/better thread for that!

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=26306

EDIT: Just changed the title to help make it clearer what I meant, rather than seeming to be 'yet another undead you have tamed' thread! :D
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Kaydia
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Undead That Could Be Beasts But Aren't (Yet?)

Unread post by Kaydia »

I've written several bug reports over the past week about untameable undead beasts I've come across while testing the tameables that I've lost count. The Firelands hellhounds, including Riplimb and Rageface, and Gluth being the standouts. When Beta comes back up, I'll have to check those.

Other than raid mobs/bosses, I came across these last night in Talador and they also got a bug report. Let me tell you, my Pandaren Hunter, with her stable full of ghost pets, would dearly love to have a pair of ghost rune dogs.

https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=774 ... osh-hunter
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_081220_031744.jpg
WoWScrnShot_081220_031744.jpg (349.12 KiB) Viewed 13646 times
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

Another name to add to the list from me!
Remember these ghostly bears?
Neither did Blizzard, alas; they are yet untameable (although I think they'd fit in beautifully):
https://ptr.wowhead.com/npc=59783/deepwoods-spirit

I would also *tentatively* include some of the Nerubian Juggernaut models as undead carapid possibilities, but as they're meant to be more intelligent creatures, while I would like to have undead for each pet family, I could take or leave these; they would look *awesome*, but it might be a little *too* far to think they're tameable undead beasts as opposed to intelligent opponents.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Kurasu wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:04 am Another name to add to the list from me!
Remember these ghostly bears?
Neither did Blizzard, alas; they are yet untameable (although I think they'd fit in beautifully):
https://ptr.wowhead.com/npc=59783/deepwoods-spirit

I would also *tentatively* include some of the Nerubian Juggernaut models as undead carapid possibilities, but as they're meant to be more intelligent creatures, while I would like to have undead for each pet family, I could take or leave these; they would look *awesome*, but it might be a little *too* far to think they're tameable undead beasts as opposed to intelligent opponents.
The Crypt Lords are definately intelligent beings. They aren't like Kunchongs or Goliaths where they are just animals. The Crypt Lords are leaders of Nerubian society.
Darknez

Realm: Bloodhoof - EU, Hellscream - EU

Unread post by Darknez »

Has anyone checked the "Phantom" hippogryph and nightsaber in eastern Nazjatar? If not, please can you ;) x
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks for this great thread :)
Kurasu wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:08 pm - Skeletal Gryphons in Dragonblight. They're a separate model from their rider, and could *easily* be flagged as tameable (as there's some that fly in accessible places).
- Skeletal Horses in Karazhan. There's a whole 'Courser' family now. How about these beauties (cough) get flagged into it? We have some undead horses from Shadowfang Keep; it makes sense these should work too.
- Midnight (original Karazhan). Wouldn't be the first raid boss we've been able to tame!
- Midnight (new Karazhan). OK, I admit I haven't tested this one at all, so I may be jumping the gun and she's *already* tameable, but come on! Wouldn't it be awesome?
They should all be on the list already. I hope! See: https://www.wow-petopia.com/shadowlands ... etalhorses and onwards.

I also added those ghostly bears. I'd forgotten all about those! See: https://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id ... ransparent

I'll look at adding other stuff on your list :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

https://www.wowhead.com/npc=46645/cursed-stallion

Ghost horse from the often (and rightfully so) forgotten zone of Tol Barad Peninsula. The skin is listed as not used ingame, but that's excusable since that zone is so pointless and obscure.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:06 pm https://www.wowhead.com/npc=46645/cursed-stallion

Ghost horse from the often (and rightfully so) forgotten zone of Tol Barad Peninsula. The skin is listed as not used ingame, but that's excusable since that zone is so pointless and obscure.
Odd, I somehow missed that one. I did search for that model. Thanks!
Kaydia
Pet Finder

Unread post by Kaydia »

The ghost hippogryhs from Black Rook Hold (not the dungeon). They're targetable separate from their rider, but currently don't belong to a pet family.

https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=918 ... -windgryph
Darknez

Unread post by Darknez »

FYI, the Hippographs and nightsabers are now listed as Undead (show as Cat in live) but you cannot use beast lore on them nor tame them at this time.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

You could never use Beast Lore on undead creatures, as far as I'm aware. The better test would be to try taming them. At least it was the only way I could do it with my Undead on the things I was taming.
Maybe I just got the unlucky draws!
Darknez

Unread post by Darknez »

I did try taming the nightsaber, no dice.
Kaydia
Pet Finder

Unread post by Kaydia »

The ghost hippogryphs in Black Rook have no pet family associated with them, it comes up "nil", so you can't beast lore them. They're just undead. They're targetable separate from their riders, but are not tameable, I'm going to guess due to the fact that they aren't part of the Feathermane family.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

I just tested to confirm to myself:
Corp'rethar Guardians are definitely tameable.
However, you cannot Beast Lore them at all.
So for testing, don't just try Beast Lore; you need to actively try to tame them to see if the switch has been flipped!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've added all those suggestions to our database and to the taming suggestions list: https://www.wow-petopia.com/tamecheck.php

As many are currently untameable models they'll appear a bit further down.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

How about the Nerubian Skitterlings and Flyers? Or did I overlook those?
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Qraljar wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:47 pm How about the Nerubian Skitterlings and Flyers? Or did I overlook those?
No, but they seem to be intelligent. At least, some in Northrend were.
Darknez

Unread post by Darknez »

Gryphons and Chimera were once considered intelligent...
Darknez

Unread post by Darknez »

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Darknez wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:29 pm Gryphons and Chimera were once considered intelligent...
Not sentient intelligent.