Have you forgotten about these guys in Outland? Can we ask Blizz to make them tamable please?

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Have you forgotten about these guys in Outland? Can we ask Blizz to make them tamable please?

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I would like for there to be tamable hawkstriders. However, due to patch close to being released and hawkstriders requiring either a new family or a existing family expanded (like tallstriders being made into a braoder family), it is unlikely to happen right now. Aside from that, there needs to be wild versions of them added. To my recollection, the only npcs that exist are saddled/armored ones.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Have you forgotten about these guys in Outland? Can we ask Blizz to make them tamable please?

Unread post by Vephriel »

It's always felt strange that hawkstriders had no wild equivalents, I think a few wandering around Eversong and TBC would be fitting. I'd love for some to be tameable!

My personal headcanon to explain their existence has always been that the blood elves took plainstriders and bred them like fancy pedigree dogs until they had a "designer breed" to suit their aesthetics. :lol:
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Hawkstriders and Tallstriders are much different, tallstriders are more primitive and look a lot like terror birds from the ice age, but herbivorous, Hawkstriders are more colorful and more beautiful with lots of feathers compared to the tallstrider, and their bills are much thinner, but their family type is still very similar, I also thought for years, if blood elves were able to ride hawkstriders, where the heck did they get them?
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Oh no I realize they're different, but I think they're similar enough to be in the same family, and again, I'm headcanoning that they were bred out into different breeds the same way a wolf and a pug are very different but came from the same source, you know? :D
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

Valnaaros wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:23 pm
I would like for there to be tamable hawkstriders. However, due to patch close to being released and hawkstriders requiring either a new family or a existing family expanded (like tallstriders being made into a braoder family), it is unlikely to happen right now. Aside from that, there needs to be wild versions of them added. To my recollection, the only npcs that exist are saddled/armored ones.
There are two found that can be interact with: the link in they op, and Azurebeak which was tamable as Tallstrider in TBC Beta.

Being armored would not rule out their tamability.

And they look similar enough to be in the Tallstrider family.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

That’s true, them having armor or a saddle wouldn’t rule them out, but every pet family has wild versions of them and, aside from Spirit Beasts (them being a unique case), more than just two npcs being tamable.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

One condition, they add the Void Striders.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

My wish is blizzard adds a new type of tallstrider and hawkstrider as a tameable beast, we’ve never got any of these having another model of theirs in another xpac, old tallstriders were only updated, but we need a tallstrider and a hawkstrider with a new design somewhere, hopefully patch 9.1 will add plentiful of new creatures like tallstriders, or new cats(not larions cuz don’t count as new cats anymore), or even a shadowlands themed mammoth and scalehide
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

If the two kinds of water striders both count as the same family, then hawkstriders and tallstriders are definitely close enough to be in the same family. It would give it some variety too. Sine falcosaurs got put in with raptors, I can't imagine a lot of other options to expand tallstrider looks. (also, tallstriders are vegetarian? that would not have been my guess. also also, I wonder how many times "feed pet" has actually been cast worldwide in the past five years).
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Xota wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:10 am If the two kinds of water striders both count as the same family, then hawkstriders and tallstriders are definitely close enough to be in the same family. It would give it some variety too. Sine falcosaurs got put in with raptors, I can't imagine a lot of other options to expand tallstrider looks. (also, tallstriders are vegetarian? that would not have been my guess. also also, I wonder how many times "feed pet" has actually been cast worldwide in the past five years).
Tallstriders look like terror birds from the ice age, and I’m stunned once I found out they eat plants, I thought they were cool flightless predator terror birds, and hunters could of done a prehistoric theme, but they are different than the Ice age predators we see online or in museums
Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

To be fair, the "terror birds" were probably herbivores themselves! (If I understood correctly that you were surprised for the tallstriders to be herbivores. Ignore me if you were talking about the irl gastornis.)
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 214559.htm
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 014-1158-2

I also wish we'd have free-range tameable hawkstriders. Also an updated model.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Something that kinda annoys me about the current Hawkstrider model is that, when looked at from the side, it looks like they constantly have this weird smile. Another thing is how their beak does not fully open whenever they cry out.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

My problem is the beak is so thin, someone with poor vision would say it doesn’t have a jaw, they should add a faithful update to it, and many other creatures, but I actually want the old zones to be updated