Race change and Undead tames

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Kojjiro
Realm: Suramar

Race change and Undead tames

Unread post by Kojjiro »

Has anyone tried race changing from Undead to any other race after taming undead pets?....can they still be called?
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Re: Race change and Undead tames

Unread post by Quiv »

I don't currently have an undead hunter, but my money is on it being unable to be summoned. However this should be fairly simple to test on the PTR. Its still up and running the same build as live. I believe every hour, the characters you create get random customization options, such as race change, faction change etc. Copy an undead to the PTR who has an undead pet, and wait for the race/faction change option (or both) and try it. Just a thought!
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I stand corrected. On the PTR with the same build as live (and I want to stress, this was tested on PTR), I tamed a skeletal hound and windserpent from ragefire and tanaris respectively on an undead hunter.

I changed race to orc. I dismissed my pet, and then was able to summon both undead pets with no problem. They are fine in combat too. Interesting!

erictks123
Realm: illidan

Unread post by erictks123 »

DEV.jpg
DEV.jpg (630.48 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
sadly this spirit t-rex cant be tame :(
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yes, if you race-change to an undead, tame the pets, then race change back, you will still be able to use them.

I tested this on beta because I was seriously considering it, though I decided it's not worth the cost for me. I think the reason is that undead pets don't actually have anything that flags them as such once they're in your stable. They're not a family of their own, they don't have anything baked into their identity that would make them unusable, so once they're yours, it doesn't matter.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

My nelf tamed the undead hawk (Alitus) model before the pre-patch, assuming I wouldn't be able to summon it until I got the undead tome. But after seeing this thread, I got it out of my stable and was able to summon it just fine.
Lee
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Moonguard | Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Lee »

Back when mechanicals were released in the Legion pre-patch, I made a gnome to tame them and then race changed to a blood elf. I could still use those pets.

Glad to see it still works for undead.