Chains of Domination PTR is up! June 29 (NA) / June 30 (EU) Release!

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Chains of Domination PTR is up!

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:34 pm Odd on two accounts there; one that they changed a rare's skin, and two that worgpower straight up guessed that Tat would get the skin. Very odd coincidence, but still neat that all hyena skins are now accounted for.
Worgpower probably guessed because it's in the suggestions thread and all of the changes that have been made have come from that thread :)

Re: the colour change - damn! When I made that suggestion, Tat wasn't tameable so the colour change wouldn't affect anyone's pet. Maybe we could get it changed to another NPC.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Wain wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:36 am
WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:34 pm Odd on two accounts there; one that they changed a rare's skin, and two that worgpower straight up guessed that Tat would get the skin. Very odd coincidence, but still neat that all hyena skins are now accounted for.
Worgpower probably guessed because it's in the suggestions thread and all of the changes that have been made have come from that thread :)

Re: the colour change - damn! When I made that suggestion, Tat wasn't tameable so the colour change wouldn't affect anyone's pet. Maybe we could get it changed to another NPC.
I searched everywhere a hyena could be found in wow and Tat was the only guess cuz the assault wasn’t up and I didn’t find any of the old world hyenas and the ones from vol’dun that would use the skin
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Ah, I haven't looked at that thread in a long time. That explains a lot. Going through that list and checking the ptr entries, I noticed the following changes;

- https://ptr.wowhead.com/npc=138540/venomous-cobra Shows that it has the red skin now. Locked behind a daily in Vol'dun, and it's not up on the PTR.
- https://ptr.wowhead.com/npc=100838/thunderhorn Shows that it uses a different skin, but not the one suggested. It apparently uses the white skin now. Heading to check it right now.

EDIT: Yep, Thunderhorn is the white skin now for some reason. Still untameable of course. I'll keep a copy posted here to check on him every so often.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I'm also checking the turtles in Bastion right now. In the suggestion thread, " Riverfall Scaleback (168438) : add the spiked dark gold / olive w/ glow look as a second look" was posted, but that skin is already used by two NPCs. Waiting on respawns to see if it did change or not, but still.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

OK thanks! Some of the suggestions were old and may have become unnecessary as looks were added. I tried to update them as things changed but could easily have missed a couple. There were a lot to keep track of.

That's an odd thing about Thunderhorn. Maybe it was caught mid-fix when the new patch landed. I'll check.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

worgpower wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:59 am I searched everywhere a hyena could be found in wow and Tat was the only guess cuz the assault wasn’t up and I didn’t find any of the old world hyenas and the ones from vol’dun that would use the skin
Cool :) Either way, it makes sense, nothing suspicious :)
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Using wowhead's list has shown that new skins do show on the PTR, but other than the red serpent and the weird Thunderhorn mystery, nothing new has popped up. Yet, anyway!

Also, pink elekks are still friendly. I WILL find a way to tame it one day.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

So, three issues from the changes this week:
- Venomous Cobra doesn't seem to have yellow skin added (at least according to Wowhead - it's impossible to confirm until the WQ is up)
- Thunderhorn wasn't made tameable but its skin was changed to white (which is already available and not the one suggested).
- Tat the Bonechewer was changed to the unused brown skin, except that it's already tameable as red. It would be better if it didn't change colours now. Suggest it be reverted to red and the dark brown skin be given to the Redrock Scavenger (134718) instead.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I do want to verify that the red cobra skin is in, since that means another color limited to one race only will be available for everyone. The red skin looks so good, and it was a shame it was stuck on Vulpera only. If it's available to anyone, that'd be great. If I'm not mistaken, this leaves the two wolves from Exile's Reach and the Zandalari's slate direhorn as the only racially-locked looks, yeah? As for Tat, I think it's fine for him to stay brown. Unique skin for a unique rare. Sure, it'd be a little strange for people who had a red hyena to suddenly have a brown one, but that'd be the only brown skin whereas there's a few other red ones right now. I personally don't mind either way, but I just think Tat being the only brown one would be neat rather than the new skin being on a non-rare.

As for Thunderhorn, I parked a character next to it like I said I would. I'll check it every time a patch goes out for the PTR. If it does become tameable, it'll also have that thunder effect on its horns since that's part of its model. I did want it to keep the blonde skin since I love that variant, but if it gets the unused black skin AND keeps the thunder, that'd be cool too.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:50 am I do want to verify that the red cobra skin is in, since that means another color limited to one race only will be available for everyone. The red skin looks so good, and it was a shame it was stuck on Vulpera only. If it's available to anyone, that'd be great. If I'm not mistaken, this leaves the two wolves from Exile's Reach and the Zandalari's slate direhorn as the only racially-locked looks, yeah?
The Manasaber Cat is still Nightborne only, no?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Maizou wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:48 am
WerebearGuy wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:50 am I do want to verify that the red cobra skin is in, since that means another color limited to one race only will be available for everyone. The red skin looks so good, and it was a shame it was stuck on Vulpera only. If it's available to anyone, that'd be great. If I'm not mistaken, this leaves the two wolves from Exile's Reach and the Zandalari's slate direhorn as the only racially-locked looks, yeah?
The Manasaber Cat is still Nightborne only, no?
That's true, but I don't think this is something as likely to be changed. The wolves and slate direhorn are unique color variants that no other race can get. The manasaber cat's appearance is something that any race can get.
Clayford13
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Korgath

Unread post by Clayford13 »

I really hope the unused windserpent skins get added! I love windserpents so much and want to complete the collection. I also kind of hope they add the removed models for them back as rares or something. I miss the old white skin :(
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Clayford13 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:45 pm I really hope the unused windserpent skins get added! I love windserpents so much and want to complete the collection. I also kind of hope they add the removed models for them back as rares or something. I miss the old white skin :(
Blizz did change some of the creatures too much, but the darkhounds and the boars were the only ones that kept their color schemes, the new Tallstriders are good, but the pink is a little less saturated than they used too, not to mention the blue tallstrider had a texture redo on 8.1
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

It's an unfortunate trend of the newer artwork to be less saturated and less contrasted. I guess it comes from a point of wanting a touch more realism or something, but I do really miss the vibrancy of Vanilla WoW models at times. Some are better than others when it comes to keeping the look of the originals, but compared side by side the newer ones always look more dull.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Vephriel wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:03 pm It's an unfortunate trend of the newer artwork to be less saturated and less contrasted. I guess it comes from a point of wanting a touch more realism or something, but I do really miss the vibrancy of Vanilla WoW models at times. Some are better than others when it comes to keeping the look of the originals, but compared side by side the newer ones always look more dull.
Yeah :( I can understand their philosopy, to a certain degree, but the reality is we're not seeing these creatures in full size: we're seeing them as tiny models in a wider environment, on a computer screen, and you have to design for *that* and not how you see them when they're magnified and the only object on your enormous monitor. Otherwise they look very dull, very non-descript. I get the impression that some of those early artists, working with very small textures, really understood how to get the most out of that.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wain wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:25 am
Vephriel wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:03 pm It's an unfortunate trend of the newer artwork to be less saturated and less contrasted. I guess it comes from a point of wanting a touch more realism or something, but I do really miss the vibrancy of Vanilla WoW models at times. Some are better than others when it comes to keeping the look of the originals, but compared side by side the newer ones always look more dull.
Yeah :( I can understand their philosopy, to a certain degree, but the reality is we're not seeing these creatures in full size: we're seeing them as tiny models in a wider environment, on a computer screen, and you have to design for *that* and not how you see them when they're magnified and the only object on your enormous monitor. Otherwise they look very dull, very non-descript. I get the impression that some of those early artists, working with very small textures, really understood how to get the most out of that.
I agree, I'm still impressed looking at some Vanilla era textures and how much they were able to squeeze into such limited resolutions. The hyena textures are ones I always go back to because look at the depth they managed to imply with the fur gradients, shading, and speckles. They have more texture than the modern ones.

From close up of course it looks dated, stretched out, and pixellated but think of how good this translates from a distance, there's still a lot of detail in there, and the new ones are just Smooth in comparison.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Agreed, I liked the old hyenas, except for the eyes, those were creepy, but they looked more real than Lion king, but my favorite was the red, until Blizz decided to make the red, more crimson with black spots instead of orange spots and purple legs and a muzzle, and as much I loved the new wind serpent model, at the same time, I hated the fact that the new white wasn’t white, the white vulture, was at a point where it was close enough to pass, but I missed the glowing red eyes and the black wing tips, we can only use the companion pets to see the old models again
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Slightly off topic, but I never realized how ugly that specific hyena color was. The mix of orange, pink, and purple isn't necessarily bad, but jeez does it not look right on a hyena. The bluish claws also look hilariously out of place, like it was trying to go on a date before being tamed. Silly painted claws aside, that skin would probably look pretty good on the new model. Hell, I don't want to sound vain, but this extremely quick and sloppy job in Photoshop is an example of giving the soul of the old skins to the new skins, using that pink skin and the weird magenta one we now have. The new ones lack any form of tonal difference.

Old models definitely had more vibrant colors, even if some were...less than appealing like the old hyenas, but for the beautiful white wind serpent, it was such a shame to completely change it. Some contrast, hue, and lighting changes could probably fix it up in no time.
Attachments
Hyena with Tones.png
Hyena with Tones.png (392.88 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I’m still here hoping the next ptr update will let us tame the other beasts from korthia, but hopefully along with soul eaters, beavers, bone horses, and maybe let the creatures with the spectral effects retain it in the maw
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I'm with you on the spectral effects. That was one of the biggest disappointments in the Maw, among many other off topic reasons. I wish our lurker would hit us with an early/late Christmas present and make monsters with SFX keep them when tamed. Corpse Tickler was my first idea the moment I read the post, but then I remembered its spectral nature is part of its model, not SFX. Same with the plethora of ghostly spirit beasts, the electric effect on Hati, and so on; those are baked into the models. The effects on the dog and crow in the Maw are just hidden buffs.