Chains of Domination PTR is up! June 29 (NA) / June 30 (EU) Release!

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Chains of Domination PTR is up!

Unread post by Valnaaros »

That said, very few things are tamable.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Aw. Wish they'd just flip the switch already. I could solo them on mythic back during content, and I wanna do that again. Oh well. Keep your eyes peeled for frogs when you go there; there's one whose name eludes me right now that uses a yellow Krag'wa skin. That'd be a fun new one if you found it.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The only things that should be tamable are anything that uses a cloud serpent, kunchong, or vanilla snake model. Nothing else was to be flagged.

Sorry, not Kunchong. Skeletal hound model.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Well we still need other beasts left that Blizz hasn’t flagged yet, and I’ve mentioned them too many times in the past so I won’t mention it right now
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

worgpower wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:56 pm Well we still need other beasts left that Blizz hasn’t flagged yet, and I’ve mentioned them too many times in the past so I won’t mention it right now
I agree, but it is up to Blizz when and if any other suggestions are made. We just make the suggestions and wait. There are plenty of beasts on the IEs that should be tamable, but the reason that only serpents, cloud serpents, and skeletal hounds are tamable is because they were made tamable when all of those types of beasts were made tamable in 9.0.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Valnaaros wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:46 pm
worgpower wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:56 pm Well we still need other beasts left that Blizz hasn’t flagged yet, and I’ve mentioned them too many times in the past so I won’t mention it right now
I agree, but it is up to Blizz when and if any other suggestions are made. We just make the suggestions and wait. There are plenty of beasts on the IEs that should be tamable, but the reason that only serpents, cloud serpents, and skeletal hounds are tamable is because they were made tamable when all of those types of beasts were made tamable in 9.0.
You are right, some employee at Blizz definitely took the time to fix those bugs and add/change the looks of older creatures
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

worgpower wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:04 pm WoWScrnShot_050121_175940.jpgWoWScrnShot_050121_175949.jpg the things i really dislike is obviously missing its stinger
Ugh, I was afraid that would happen. :( It's because the stinger, chelicerae, and a few other "add-on" parts are actually separate model files, and I *think* they're added on later using a spell effect. However it is that they're added, it's not part of the display info for that model and so not saved on the final pet. The entire method of implementation for this model seems ludicrously over-complicated to me, and I don't know another creature model that does it except for the Iron Juggernaut in Siege of Org. Perhaps it was more a fun challenge or a proof-of-concept for the model designer, or perhaps there's some real reason for it that I can't see (and isn't required anywhere else). Either way, it's a problem for taming.

I'll let Jeremy know. Perhaps it's something that can be fixed by moving those "effects" (i.e. body parts) to a spell kit attached to the display ID.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Wain wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:12 am
worgpower wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:04 pm WoWScrnShot_050121_175940.jpgWoWScrnShot_050121_175949.jpg the things i really dislike is obviously missing its stinger
Ugh, I was afraid that would happen. :( It's because the stinger, chelicerae, and a few other "add-on" parts are actually separate model files, and I *think* they're added on later using a spell effect. However it is that they're added, it's not part of the display info for that model and so not saved on the final pet. The entire method of implementation for this model seems ludicrously over-complicated to me, and I don't know another creature model that does it except for the Iron Juggernaut in Siege of Org. Perhaps it was more a fun challenge or a proof-of-concept for the model designer, or perhaps there's some real reason for it that I can't see (and isn't required anywhere else). Either way, it's a problem for taming.

I'll let Jeremy know. Perhaps it's something that can be fixed by moving those "effects" (i.e. body parts) to a spell kit attached to the display ID.
I agree, maybe they can at least try, but if that can’t be fixed, I hope they at least fix the running animation, it looks weird when it walks in fast motion
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

So, it turns out the crystal scorpion looks are a bit more complicated than I thought. There are actually two types:

- the regular ones, which just lose their stinger when tamed

CrystallineScorpidAnnotated.png
CrystallineScorpidAnnotated.png (988.13 KiB) Viewed 2096 times

- and Skorpyron, who has a couple of extra model features, all of which are lost when she's tamed: large crystalline chelicerae, and some very big crystal scales on her back. All the scales (3, I think), and both chelicerae (left and right), are actually ALL separate models!
SkorpyronAnnotated.png
SkorpyronAnnotated.png (1020 KiB) Viewed 2096 times

Both models look the same once tamed as they use the same base model. They just have different auras or spells or whatever to add their other components:
CrystallineScorpidTamed.png
CrystallineScorpidTamed.png (880.89 KiB) Viewed 2096 times

All the components are separate models, which are attached to the base model at some point during creation. However this procedure is done, it doesn't seem to use the spell kit component of creatureDisplayInfo. As a result, the display info isn't saved to the pet. :(
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Images, as of right now, aren't loading, but that sounds awful. Why in the world are they separate parts anyway? Like I mentioned earlier, I stared at its model while pushing it into the vulnerable phase, and Skorpyron never lost any parts on its body. Maybe it does lose something in a different part of the encounter, but if it does, those missing parts are so minimal. Those shards that pop off don't seem to be attached to the big lug either. It's baffling why things like the tail and antennae disappear though.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Oops! The images are fixed now.

In other news, Fangcaller Xorreth is up today, and I don't think he summons yellow snakes. I've tried a bunch of times, but also I've checked the creatureDisplayInfo database and there doesn't seem to be a display ID set up for the yellow skin yet. If so, it can't appear in the game.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Oh wow, those back plates disappear? I'm blind as a bat then. Not sure how I managed to not notice that. I knew the stinger and antennae, but now all I can think of is that we currently tame Skorpyron and shave it bald. Baldyron!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

While the Bound Scavenger (skeletal raptor) has been given a second look for 9.1, I'm pretty sure it's the same bronze that is already available and not the skin that the pet uses. The differences between them are slight but still obvious.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

What's the difference between the beast's bronze and the battle pet's bronze?
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I am always amazed and how yall find these things. I mean some of the things found are really obscure pets in really old content. Do yall just check every single old or outstanding NPC on the off-chance something changed, or do you got secret insider scoop :lol: Regardless, its insanely impressive. The title "Pet Finder" is well earned.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Wain has a post with various NPCs that the unused skins could be added to, but some of them were added to things that were out of left field for sure. Ignoring model updates like the boar, I don't know the mentality behind checking things otherwise. I just know that for the two remaining teroclaw skins, I just had an inkling that maybe, just maybe, they would be there. I also happened to be in the bathroom when I thought of it, which is the place where all brilliant ideas spawn (true fact, ask any dead genius!), so I checked and found my favorite model's last two skins on NPCs that made sense...sort of. I still think the yellow one should go to Hen Chicks, and the blue one really has no reasonable place other than where they are now, but still.

It's trial and error using questionable judgement! That's the best way to think of it.

EDIT: If our lurker is lurking and considering more missing skin additions, can you squeeze in the more modern lynx model that's been stuck in limbo for god knows how long? It's on an unused NPC titled "Desert Lion". Even if it's just the lynx skins slapped onto the new night elf druid cat model, it's a significant upgrade.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Speaking of thinking of off the wall things, I checked the First Guardian of Kalliope since I still have the quest "You Go First" on my hunters. Still doesn't keep its name despite being a prominent quest NPC. The Chamber Guardians also don't keep the name, but that's expected.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:07 pm What's the difference between the beast's bronze and the battle pet's bronze?
Compare these two looks:

The first is available, the second not. They're very similar, however :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've updated our database with all the Korthia stuff. I'm yet to update with the latest finds of new looks on old pets (and rams).

Check out how our 9.1 page is going: https://www.wow-petopia.com/patch91.php
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

The thumbnails barely show anything, but those two are quite significantly different when the full images are side by side. The shading is so much more drastic on the one we currently have. I kind of like the pet skin though. Here's hoping that happens one day.