I think it's ironic there's no new tamable SPIRIT Beasts in SHADOWLANDS

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I think it's ironic there's no new tamable SPIRIT Beasts in SHADOWLANDS

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

I mean for an expansion set in the AFTER LIVES were in spirits go after living their corporeal bodies, the lack of ANY tamable Spirit Beasts make me a little be concern.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Re: I think it's ironic there's no new tamable SPIRIT Beasts in SHADOWLANDS

Unread post by Talihawk »

Yeah it has been really strange. Blame covid :P
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

It’s quite strange that there’s no spirit beasts in the shadowlands, since everything is solid, and when I did the redridge kyrian quest, I was in the spirit realm, so prolly the realms had something to do with it, but I want exotic beasts in survival more than anything since it’s my favorite spec which is more pet friendly/pack oriented than BM
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I was very disappointed, I don't really count Elegon because he's not from the new zones, and I got my hopes up for a spirit spider (I've really been craving an unconventional creature since we have so many cats and wolves), but the model I thought was a datamined spirit beast was probably just something for Shadra in Ardenweald. :(

Maybe in a future patch though, we've had SBs added late in expansions before.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, I was expecting the Shadra model would appear somewhere too! Ah well.

I guess spirit beasts are kind of like mini-mini-mini-demigods and most would manifest in the living realm, rather than the realm of the dead. Or rather, that’s my feeble explanation 😂 In all seriousness I would expect some to appear. We meet deceased gods living happily in the Shadowlands, so no reason not to see spirit beasts. The Shadra spider is the only new model I can think of that would be appropriate, though. Can anyone think of another? Besides just making some other model transparent, I mean.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

I'm hoping for a spirit beast Tauralus.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

If anything, they'd have to pull out at least four unique looks. One per zone, after all. Perhaps something like this;
- Lairon or Owlsteed with glowing feathers and claws/horns
- "That" rylak. You know the one.
- ANY of those ghostly beast forms used for the Soul Shape spell; the groundwork is already there
- A gargon with red cracks and possibly flowing red anima seeping out

Alternatively, just make a bunch of common versions of each mount from the 9.1 covenant and convert them to spirit beasts, much like the manasabers. The Revendreth ones would by far be the most unique since they'd have a unique model not found on any hunter pet, but still. Spirit beasts don't NEED to be a special snowflake animal. The special snowflakes are nice, but we have more special snowflakes than the Avengers have unique heroes.
ligewolf
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: the Underbog/ Moonrunner (H) US

Unread post by ligewolf »

I think its our turn to sweet talk muffinus into getting us a couple of spirit beasts now that they've been on this "make players happy" trend..

Personally would like the next SB to have color variations and spawn in different areas like the porcupines from Pandaria.
As to what family it is from... preferably not a cat.. or at least not the same saber tiger model like Magria, Gondria and Ankha..
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

ligewolf wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:39 am I think its our turn to sweet talk muffinus into getting us a couple of spirit beasts now that they've been on this "make players happy" trend..

Personally would like the next SB to have color variations and spawn in different areas like the porcupines from Pandaria.
As to what family it is from... preferably not a cat.. or at least not the same saber tiger model like Magria, Gondria and Ankha..
Muffinus, for the most part, isn’t working on Hunter pets anymore. Some other devs seem to be the ones dealing with them more.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

I’m wondering who’s now flagging pets tameable, I heard it was a different dev who flagged gromits tameable, I hope that same dev can flag razorwings, soul eaters(can’t wait any longer), skeletal horses, including the 2 midnights, beavers, and mandragoras/plant hydras
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

As far as I'm aware, Muffinus is mostly doing battle pets in the pet category now. He just teased a retriever pet lol.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Jeremy is still overseeing / approving hunter pet changes, but hasn't been hands-on with it lately. Sarah Cotner and some of her team have been making all the recent changes.

As for battle pets, I hope we get to see the retriever pet soon! His tweet about it actually seems to have been in response to someone who posted a reminder that the model existed and was forgotten, and his tweet was basically advertising for new designers with a "join our team and maybe you can implement this pet", so it doesn't really bode well for it appearing soon :(
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.