New Forum Theme Discussion

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: New Forum Theme Discussion

Unread post by Wain »

Here's a comparison of the custom "Petopia" version of Prosilver Dark, and the official Blue version that comes with the theme.

I gave the Petopia one white topic headings and paler icons, in response to people finding the extra colour a bit offputting. Mind you, the response was to the green version, and maybe the blue isn't as intrusive.

In the Petopia custom style, I also increased the font size and changed the font of the headings to match what we have in Pycode, as the Prosilver Dark headings are smaller and may be less readable on small devices.

How do you folk feel? Remember, it's not all-or-nothing: I can take some features from each.
Prosilver Comparison.png
Prosilver Comparison.png (298.94 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

If there aren't any suggestions or complaints about the proposed Petopia forum theme I'm going to upgrade us to the new board software and set the theme as our default in the next few days.

Oh, I also changed the default user colour from black to a grey that should be visible in dark and light themes. Let me know if there are any issues.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

OK, the board software has been updated and the theme is now our default one. Thanks again for all your input, and please continue to provide feedback if you think anything could be done better :)
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

May i offer a suggestion to turn random names to white instead of gray? Gray seems so.. less quaility :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Good to see everything was done painlessly and (hopefully) without error. First thing I did when I came to the site today was immediately head to the board preferences, but the one I like isn't there (yet?). I went to prosilver, but it's so saturated compared to prosilver special.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Maria wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:40 pm May i offer a suggestion to turn random names to white instead of gray? Gray seems so.. less quaility :D
I would have preferred to, but unfortunately white won't show up on light themes. I had to pick a colour that worked for both. :/

It would be cool if you could set different name colours for different themes but the board software doesn't allow that :(
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:10 pm Good to see everything was done painlessly and (hopefully) without error. First thing I did when I came to the site today was immediately head to the board preferences, but the one I like isn't there (yet?). I went to prosilver, but it's so saturated compared to prosilver special.
So you prefer a light theme and were using Prosilver SE? I can re-implement that right now. Gimme 1 min. Just let me know if anything looks wrong in it.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Wain wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:12 pm
Maria wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:40 pm May i offer a suggestion to turn random names to white instead of gray? Gray seems so.. less quaility :D
I would have preferred to, but unfortunately white won't show up on light themes. I had to pick a colour that worked for both. :/

It would be cool if you could set different name colours for different themes but the board software doesn't allow that :(
Ahh that make sense!!

This might work on both, this or This ? might be too bright for light.

Ohh and would it be possible to ping/notify someone by using @username?

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Re: New forum update and new theme!

Unread post by Talihawk »

Is there no longer an option to see 'new posts' that used to be up on the user's right hand side?
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Talihawk wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:34 pm Is there no longer an option to see 'new posts' that used to be up on the user's right hand side?

I asked the same and here is Wains responce :)
Wain wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:08 am As for the new post thing: I'm glad you can at least see new posts using the new method, but it may take getting used to. I'll look at the way that you suggested and see if I can also colour that link on the right.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Maria wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:40 pm
Talihawk wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:34 pm Is there no longer an option to see 'new posts' that used to be up on the user's right hand side?

I asked the same and here is Wains responce :)
Wain wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:08 am As for the new post thing: I'm glad you can at least see new posts using the new method, but it may take getting used to. I'll look at the way that you suggested and see if I can also colour that link on the right.
Oh, sorry Maria, if that's what you were referring to then I misunderstood. I thought you meant that new posts were coloured differently.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

You're right that it wasn't where it was before. I had to look this up, but the "View New Posts" link is still there, but it's been moved to the Quick Links menu in the top left:

ViewNewPosts.png
ViewNewPosts.png (12.63 KiB) Viewed 4800 times

Some things have moved around and will take a little getting used to, but hopefully the features are all still there and usable. The layout is the way that the board creators are going and it's a lot of extra work to try to rearrange the board entirely, and it would have to be re-done every time the software is updated, so I'd like to avoid that.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Woo, you're the man Wain.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

No worries I'm glad it's at least still accessible! Thanks !
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Wain wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:49 pm

You're right that it wasn't where it was before. I had to look this up, but the "View New Posts" link is still there, but it's been moved to the Quick Links menu in the top left:

ViewNewPosts.png

Some things have moved around and will take a little getting used to, but hopefully the features are all still there and usable. The layout is the way that the board creators are going and it's a lot of extra work to try to rearrange the board entirely, and it would have to be re-done every time the software is updated, so I'd like to avoid that.
YAY :D Im bad at explaining today.. suffering from extreeme heat make my brain into marshmellow porridge :o Thank u Wain :hug: :hug: :hug: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

btw i switch between dark and prosilver special edition.. dark is harder on eyes in the evening for some reason...

Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

*screams and thrashes at the change*
;P
CHANGE IS HARD FOR ME
but... I suppose its not that bad. Will take a moment for me to get used to things.

Siggy under construction!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Bowno wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:59 pm *screams and thrashes at the change*
;P
CHANGE IS HARD FOR ME
but... I suppose its not that bad. Will take a moment for me to get used to things.
What theme did you used to use? I'm very happy to install other themes at request, but am not going to install them until they're asked for, as each requires customising each time I need to update them.

Also, I can't 100% guarantee your theme will be supported in 3.3 (like Allan Subsilver and Pycode aren't), but most are.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Wain wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:28 am
Bowno wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:59 pm *screams and thrashes at the change*
;P
CHANGE IS HARD FOR ME
What theme did you used to use? I'm very happy to install other themes at request, but am not going to install them until they're asked for, as each requires customising each time I need ot update them.

Also, I can't 100% guarantee your theme will be supported in 3.3 (like Allan Subsilver and Pycode aren't), but most are.
Lol it's okay ;P I can always adjust... eventually DX<
I'm a heathen and I used the super basic, old skool lite theme. I don't remember the name of it, but it was like this one, which I'm guessing is the subsilver lol Image

Siggy under construction!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I think that might be the "Allan Style Subsilver" which they've stopped updating, sorry :(

Prosilver Special Edition would be the closest to that one, and that's installed. The header is just darker than the Subsilver.