Island Expeditions pets

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Island Expeditions pets

Unread post by Wain »

The issue with the instance taming bug pets has reminded me that I want to get the rest of the Island Expeditions pets added, even if they're not tameable.

We have 129 creatures listed for Island Expeditions (ignoring the starting quest island). Wowhead has around 354 beasts and undead beasts that we don't - some of those will be models that aren't fit for taming, but I haven't filtered them yet. I don't intend to take Wowhead's data but want to use it as a guide for how many things we need to find. I won't add any until we locate them.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Island Expeditions pets

Unread post by Wain »

First, one entry we have that may have been removed: Darktunnel Worm. Wowhead lists no location for it and perhaps it was removed. Has anyone seen it?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Wain wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:00 am First, one entry we have that may have been removed: Darktunnel Worm. Wowhead lists no location for it and perhaps it was removed. Has anyone seen it?
Yes, I saw it earlier today, actually. Can spawn in the Whispering Reef.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks!

I have the list of missing creatures down to about 312. That’s a lot, but manageable for data-wrangling purposes. I’m still working on it. It’s something that is kind of repetitive and mindless which is something I need at the moment. So, good timing I guess :/
magepower13
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub

Unread post by magepower13 »

We already have Blazeseeker listed under Hounds (Found him in the lava area of Molten Cay) but I also found Skycrack (thundering black cloud serpent, same model as Huolon) with a Mogu assault and he's now tameable. Keeps his name too.

To clarify, Skycrack flew in when the Mogu showed up on an island expedition. I think it was Verdant Wilds at the time.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

magepower13 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:49 am We already have Blazeseeker listed under Hounds (Found him in the lava area of Molten Cay) but I also found Skycrack (thundering black cloud serpent, same model as Huolon) with a Mogu assault and he's now tameable. Keeps his name too.

To clarify, Skycrack flew in when the Mogu showed up on an island expedition. I think it was Verdant Wilds at the time.
Thanks! I've fixed Skycrack. I'm working on a more complete listing of the rest.

I've updated the post on : viewtopic.php?f=62&t=26552 to reflect the change.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

OK, here's a complete list* of untameable NPCs in Island Expeditions, with their families and looks:
https://www.wow-petopia.com/islandexpeditions.php

For the "suggest tame" column I've set everything to Yes. For the "suggest retain name" column I've set all the Rare ones to Yes. Are there any that shouldn't be tameable? Or should retain their names that I haven't suggested?

Also, does anyone know which are linked to specific invasions / inhabitant types, rather than islands? It would be good to record that instead of which islands they appear on.

* I've currently left out a few windserpents that use the old blood model. I'll look at them another time but I didn't have that look recorded for now and it was too much to bother with for a superseded model.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Kunchong comes from Mantid invasions.

Basilisks, if spawned in the Molten Cay, will always spawn where there is lava.

Beetles will generally spawn in caves or ruins.

The undead birds will spawn with Vargul invasions.

Golly is the pet of the Horde Pirate team.

Blaze is the pet of the Dark Iron team.

Fire Hounds will generally spawn in caves or where there is lava (Molten Cay).

Risen Hound spawns with Kvaldir invasions.

The two Blighthounds spawn in Vargul invasions.

The Flamescale Hydra can spawn by water, but are the only ones that will spawn by lava. Frostscales, to my recollection, are the only Hydras that will spawn in the Dread Chain.

Mechanical Guardhound spawns with Venture Co. invasions.

Spikey is the Mag'har Team pet.

The Scorpids, on Molten Cay, will spawn where there is Lava.

Shadow Serpent will spawn with Naga invasions.

Zian-Ti and Skycrack will spawn with Mogu invasions.

The Kindleweb spiders will generally spawn in caves or where there is lava.

All of the Quilen will spawn in the Mogu invasions.

Wolves have the highest chance to spawn in the Whispering Hollow island.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

That's great, thank you!

I've removed the team pets from the suggested tames list. It creates complications and none of them are special (also removed Lyco and Gore for the same reason).
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

For the last week, I’ve played through islands to find blazeseeker and never found him at all, but got one mount on the hunt for blazeseeker, and there are a few problems I should share
-snowblossom, havenswood, and Jorundall(map for blazeseeker) are the only maps that get queued, no molten cay and verdant wilds At all
-blazeseeker is so rare I never find him at his location whenever I start jorundall
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The islands rotate each week. You cannot access all of the islands. Three islands are chosen every weekly reset and those are the only islands that you can queue for until the following reset.

The fire hounds are a rather rare spawn. If they are not there when the island begins, they will not show up later on. They generally compete with beetles, fire spiders, bats, wolves, yetis, and bears for spawning. And if they do spawn, a group will either spawn with an elite fire hound, or with Blazeseeker, Inferno Horror, or Volcanor.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Valnaaros wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:20 pm The islands rotate each week. You cannot access all of the islands. Three islands are chosen every weekly reset and those are the only islands that you can queue for until the following reset.

The fire hounds are a rather rare spawn. If they are not there when the island begins, they will not show up later on. They generally compete with beetles, fire spiders, bats, wolves, yetis, and bears for spawning. And if they do spawn, a group will either spawn with an elite fire hound, or with Blazeseeker, Inferno Horror, or Volcanor.
Thanks, I never knew that they rotate, hopefully the next rotation will have zones that blazeseeker spawns in, or else I have to wait weeks
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

That's what makes it so hard to survey island pets... it can take a number of weeks for the island to be up and even then it may not have the right combo of NPCs. Fortunately most creatures are spread across multiple islands, or associated with events that can occur on multiple islands.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Is there anyone that can mark blazeseeker’s locations on the map, wowhead only shows me jorundall, I want to know before any other player ends up reaching blazeseeker before I do, plz and ty
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

For Molten Cay, he can spawn anywhere on the island where there is lava. The lava crosses through the middle of the island from north to south.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I learned a neat trick to find the known spawn locations, courtesy of someone who was after Blazeseeker;
- Go to the page on Wowhead for a specific zone (Let's use Molten Cay as an example)
- Click "Show on Map", and hover over "Rare NPCs"
- Select Blazeseeker. This may require some scrolling depending on your window/monitor resolution and general text size.

This is such a handy thing that I wish was more well known.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

WerebearGuy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:40 pm I learned a neat trick to find the known spawn locations, courtesy of someone who was after Blazeseeker;
- Go to the page on Wowhead for a specific zone (Let's use Molten Cay as an example)
- Click "Show on Map", and hover over "Rare NPCs"
- Select Blazeseeker. This may require some scrolling depending on your window/monitor resolution and general text size.

This is such a handy thing that I wish was more well known.
thank you, and as i was searching for Blazeseeker in molten cay, I found a mogu portal and went through, saw Skycrack, beast lored, tamed, Huolon is no longer unique anymore
WoWScrnShot_071421_095201.jpg
WoWScrnShot_071421_095201.jpg (478.68 KiB) Viewed 10456 times
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Yes, I found Skycrack a week or two ago and reported it being tameable. Even still, it is good that you’re keeping an eye out :)
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

My goal has been complete
WoWScrnShot_071421_192351.jpg
WoWScrnShot_071421_192351.jpg (69.96 KiB) Viewed 10407 times
Valnaaros
Pet Finder