9.2 PTR Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: 9.2 PTR Beast Thread

Unread post by Valnaaros »

@Maizou That's true. There are big lore reasons why we likely will never have proto drakes. It is always possible, but I don't see it happening.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

A list has been compiled of all snails that, if there is a snail family, could be made tameable :)
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

It could made a great tanky slowing pet
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Valnaaros wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:20 am A list has been compiled of all snails that, if there is a snail family, could be made tameable :)
Would definitely love a Tenacity/Ferocity Snail family with a Shell Shield/Slime Slow ability.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Maizou wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:23 am
Valnaaros wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:20 am A list has been compiled of all snails that, if there is a snail family, could be made tameable :)
Would definitely love a Tenacity/Ferocity Snail family with a Shell Shield/Slime Slow ability.
We definitely need another ferocity with a 50% damage reduction shield, cuz I’m getting bored with my scalehides
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Here are all the mollusc looks in the game, presented as an untameable family :)

https://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=mollusc

Thanks to Valnaaros for all his help in compiling it.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Happy to have helped, Wain :)
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Wow. I thought we had more mollusc variation than that. Not a whole lot of variety. The ones I would want out of that list don't have rare versions either, so no fancy names. Nice to have a list though! Maybe I should go do the same for plant hydras lol

EDIT: I made a list. Was bored enough to do so. I didn't count unused skins because I don't have wow model viewer installed, and I could only find em in WoD content. Might have missed one or two.
Attachments
Mandragora List.txt
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

WerebearGuy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:16 pm Wow. I thought we had more mollusc variation than that. Not a whole lot of variety. The ones I would want out of that list don't have rare versions either, so no fancy names. Nice to have a list though! Maybe I should go do the same for plant hydras lol

EDIT: I made a list. Was bored enough to do so. I didn't count unused skins because I don't have wow model viewer installed, and I could only find em in WoD content. Might have missed one or two.
I think mandragoras should also be listed on petopia, they’re elementals, but there are actually a few tameable ones in gorgrond that are classed as elementals, if they were switched to a beast, then easy tame
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:16 pm Wow. I thought we had more mollusc variation than that. Not a whole lot of variety. The ones I would want out of that list don't have rare versions either, so no fancy names. Nice to have a list though! Maybe I should go do the same for plant hydras lol

Thanks for the list! :) It'll be handy.

I actually have plans to add all plant beasts (so mandragoras, lashers and flytraps) to the site, so I'll do them all at once when I get time.

One "complication" that I noticed with mandragoras is that the texture for their petals / head parts is separate to their bodies, leading to a much larger number of combinations, so at that stage I put it off :D
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I personally don't think that Lashers and Flytraps should be tameable by Hunters. Mandragoras at least look similar to hydras. Flytraps and Lashers look like plants and not like any type of animal. Imo, being able to tame lashers and flytraps would be stepping into something that is Druid territory (I know that druids cannot summon them, as far as I can recall, but the majority of druid's spells are nature/plant based). It would be like allowing us to tame non-animal undead when the undead tome was made available.

Edit: Looking at the Wowpedia page, there are actually a couple of times where Druid NPCs due summon or utilize Lashers. I think it would be best to just make it possible, whether through a book or a quest, for Hunters to be able to tame Mandragoras and the beasts in Drustvar.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Gonna have to agree on keeping lashers and flytraps out of the list. As much as I'd like to have a garden weed as a pet, that's definitely druid territory. As for the mandragora textures, that's gonna be amusing. Can't wait to see the brown body + green necks/petals + purple head combo.
Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Cozzene »

Maizou wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:58 am
Cozzene wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:07 pm It's cool that they keep releasing new beasts, but there are still some old things I'd like revisited. i.e. with could serpents now tameable... well, proto drakes are described as beasts. Not sentient, not human shape shifting intelligent life forms that you can carry a conversation with. Beasts.

I'd like to see some love put into older skins too, like the boars just got. Some day, a new patch will come with a great deal of hunter fluff. Maybe. Eventually.
The aspects were literally proto drakes at one point though, lol.
And gorillas can talk, yet we can tame them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That, and you just said it - the aspects WERE protodrakes. The current protodrakes are not recognised as being anything close to what the aspects are, or even were. There are also sentient, speaking cloud serpents - like Nalak - that are tameable.
But hey, A+ in shooting me down with as little condescension as you could without being completely void of it. Remembered why I stopped posting here. Guess I'll just go back to not joining the discussion.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Haha needless aggression. I'm all for proto-drakes, because they absolutely are the bestial versions of dragons. Some are smart, but none (that we know of as of now) are sapient. Blizzard also has some double standards when it comes to taming draconic things, because we've got two test tube babies (Chromaggus and Chimaeron), noodle snakes (don't even argue that they're not dragons), and I think there was another that was somewhat close to a dragon that I'm forgetting. Proto-drakes' rig is also used by dread ravens, and we have them as pets without issue. Even more on the topic, we have Vrykul and their goofy offshoots who literally turn the proto-drakes into mounts and pets. The aspects were very clearly exceptions, since they got smart and stayed intelligent (questionably so, anyway), but the rest are absolutely fair game. No reason for the protos to not be tameable other than Blizz just saying no to the idea. It's a shame that we can't have them, especially since it'd be fun to run around with two Time-Lost Proto-Drakes with their name retained while I ride my TLPD mount.

Regarding the apes and Nalak; they're sapient because of magic. The apes shoved magic rocks up their noses and gained intelligence, while Nalak was constructed from Mogu magic. When we tame them, we strip them of their intelligence like horrible people. Bad picks for the argument.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

That would be a shame, as your contributions are valuable :) I don't think Maizou meant her response to be as dismissive as it came across to you.

As for the proto-drake thing, I think it's a bit of a mess :/

The ones in Northrend gave the impression of being animal level intelligence. I think this was pretty clear. And yet, from what I understand, the ones that became the Aspects were depicted in the novel (which I've not read) as being smart even before they were upgraded. Perhaps this is just one of those cases where beasts are shown as having human-level intelligence when the plot requires it, a phenomenon we've experienced quite a few times over the years with different creatures. Or perhaps the ones we saw in Northrend were just really good at hiding how smart they were. Or (I think most likely) different creators of WoW lore presented contradictory takes on them.

Dragon history has always been a bit weird and awkward. Like, when we went to Deepholm there was a storyline that suggested that proto-drakes evolved from stone drakes. So, dragons would have evolved from looking a lot like modern dragons, to looking nothing like modern dragons, and then being transformed back to the modern dragon look. Sure, anything can be explained by magic, but it still seems like a convoluted and silly explanation.

I wouldn't mind seeing proto-drakes being tameable but my gut tells me they never will be. Because, regardless of their intelligence level, they'd be considered too problematic and controversial for the designers to touch.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

Wain wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:04 am Here are all the mollusc looks in the game, presented as an untameable family :)

https://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=mollusc

Thanks to Valnaaros for all his help in compiling it.
Maybe we can add all Octopodes into that group as well? Octopodes are molluscs.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

ace_of_hearth wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:00 am Maybe we can add all Octopodes into that group as well? Octopodes are molluscs.
True... maybe I should narrow the name to "Gastropods" to avoid that. Octopi may be related, but they have little in common with snails as far as behaviour and attacks goes. I also fear they might seem a bit strange squirming around on land - not that sea snails make much sense as permanent terrestrial creatures either, but they at least function a lot like land snails so they shouldn't seem quite as weird.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

When it comes to plant based pets. I think unless you bring the kultiras plant things into it (I can't remember there name at the moment) It would be easier just to slap them into the family they look closest to.

Lashers are... plants, there's not much there. Most I see them as just things, rather than things you can teach or train unless you're a druid. And then that's more just magic wibbly wobbly stuff.

Proto drakes.
They seem fine? We have noodle dragons, and ancient spirits that can talk and communicate.
I think the best option for Proto drakes would be a specific class quest where there are specific proto drakes out in the wild that are "to far gone" that you can tame. That way you got a canon reasoning.
Wow. I thought we had more mollusc variation than that. Not a whole lot of variety.
Poor monkeys, 4 colors and one with a fez kek.
Could slimes be Molluscs?
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

DannyGreen wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:32 am When it comes to plant based pets. I think unless you bring the kultiras plant things into it (I can't remember there name at the moment) It would be easier just to slap them into the family they look closest to.

Lashers are... plants, there's not much there. Most I see them as just things, rather than things you can teach or train unless you're a druid. And then that's more just magic wibbly wobbly stuff.

Proto drakes.
They seem fine? We have noodle dragons, and ancient spirits that can talk and communicate.
I think the best option for Proto drakes would be a specific class quest where there are specific proto drakes out in the wild that are "to far gone" that you can tame. That way you got a canon reasoning.
Wow. I thought we had more mollusc variation than that. Not a whole lot of variety.
The slugs are closest to slimes, just solid, we still need grubs
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

worgpower wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:15 pm
DannyGreen wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:32 am When it comes to plant based pets. I think unless you bring the kultiras plant things into it (I can't remember there name at the moment) It would be easier just to slap them into the family they look closest to.

Proto drakes.
The slugs are closest to slimes, just solid, we still need grubs
IMHO there should be a non-exotic beast family that contains maggots, grubs AND caterpillars. This might be an unpopular opinion but I have caterpillars to be in the same group as other larval staged beasts rather than in the exotic worm family.