9.2 PTR Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Re: 9.2 PTR Beast Thread

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Under the "Vermid" category, you have a small typo; "We don't know the official name for this proto-wormd yet"

Those cobra hoods are pretty lame. I didn't see them in the wowhead stream, but seeing them now, they look like they were tacked on. It's like a progenitor said "Hey, hold my alcoholid", broke his coaster in four, and the rest just went with it.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Looks great, Wain, and the new banner looks good :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:59 am Under the "Vermid" category, you have a small typo; "We don't know the official name for this proto-wormd yet"
Fixed. Thanks.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

I was excited to see everything on the page, but in my opinion, there were too many cervid looks, but I love the hooded viperids, and I want a circle crested vambata, I think the ambystan can fit in toads too and then the family gets renamed to amphibian, I hope the raptora ends up in carrion birds, birds of prey are getting too many looks, and I hope devourers and other older beasts also become tameable
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I doubt that most of those cervid looks will ever be made available unless there are a ton of cervid npcs to spread them out across.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I’m thinking they will have the same procedure as some of the runestags and argus Talbuks, split the colors in different areas and then use them all on these npcs, the armored ones would probably be the leaders of the herd
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Thanks for all your hard work Wain!!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks! :) I'm just relieved to get it done. There'll almost certainly be more next build and I don't want to fall behind.

I'm working on the mounts now.
Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shen'dralar

Unread post by Tsukina »

As I always say, I am sorry for the use of the automatic translator, and if there are nonsense things, I apologize.

I think this is the first fat patch, with new models and new creatures, where there is NO ONE that I like or have an interest in taming ...

I mean, patch 9.2 neither hot nor cold, but beasts ... 0.
With Kortia I was interested in Nyemi for example, and others but these new ones, nothing at all ...

I've been playing since the lich, I have a lot of hunters and I'm taking specific pets with them, but these new ones, they attract me with none, not even for a mechagnome ...
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

You are not the only one feeling that Tsukina. Most of the creatures I do not find all that appealing.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

That’s fair enough, if creatures of stone and metal aren’t to your aesthetic. Especially when many of them use the same four colour schemes and they’re designed to look “unfinished”. I find them interesting and fun, but I completely understand if others don’t. Hopefully there’ll be other, non-proto creatures available by 9.2’s release. The first build hasn’t even reached the PTR yet, so a lot is going to change between now and launch!
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

it's alright, I'm another person who doesn't really find appeal in the high concept mech/robot themes

they're just not personally my thing, I prefer fantasy

I don't know if there's much this patch that will interest me but I hope we can return to Azeroth soon
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

There’s also some creatures I’m not a fan of over there, like the toads and stags, these models are overused in this expansion, but I really like the wolves and raptora, we still should be able to tame the devourers, i would love myself a mutant crawg devourer
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

worgpower wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:11 pm There’s also some creatures I’m not a fan of over there, like the toads and stags, these models are overused in this expansion, but I really like the wolves and raptora, we still should be able to tame the devourers, i would love myself a mutant crawg devourer
I really do adore the devourers and part of me still hopes there might be a chance we could get them as a specialty tame, similar to how blood beasts were eventually made available to us. They even follow similar model styles because they use both the crawg skeleton and the blood tick one.

The corrupted versions are very cool, they make me think of zombies almost.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I also think the gorgers should be tameable too, they’re basically alien gorillas
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

We did manage to get Blood Beasts later into BfA through a silly challenge (that didn't work initially anyway), and assuming the folks behind the pet side of Hunter activities are still all for fun (which they absolutely seem to be, having indulged my desire for pink elekks), then there's a very good chance we'll see those aliens tameable before 10.0. The bestial devourers really would be nice pets, and they'd be the last thing to cover every aspect of the six zones of Shadowlands.

Hold on to that hope. Same with the other forgotten beasts of the Shadowlands.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

I think they look cool, but there's nothing i'd really go out of my way to catch. The worm, maybe but I main SV so i'd never get a chance to use it. The snakes are also a maybe, but even then snakes are WAY to small in game.

Here's hoping for the snails though, simply because it opens up the door to the other snails. Always look at the positives!
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

DannyGreen wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:21 pm I think they look cool, but there's nothing i'd really go out of my way to catch. The worm, maybe but I main SV so i'd never get a chance to use it. The snakes are also a maybe, but even then snakes are WAY to small in game.

Here's hoping for the snails though, simply because it opens up the door to the other snails. Always look at the positives!
Since I’m also a survival main, I’m going to run on my BM hunter just for the worm
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I have a first draft preview guide for the 9.2 mounts up now:

https://www.warcraftmounts.com/patch92.php

It's still early days (the PTR isn't even released yet!), so mount info will probably change a LOT before release.

Of 38 new mounts, 24 are listed as being obtained through a new crafting feature called Protoform Synthesis. This will clearly be an important part of mount collecting in 9.2, but it's hard to know if all 24 really will be obtained that way, or if the listed source for some of them is just placeholder info. It just seems like a lot!

Check out those mawrats, though. I really hope that they make a non-mount version of that model, or at least add that dark maroon colour to the tameable model.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I initially didn't care much for the new mawrats, but seeing them animated, it's certainly more endearing. I still prefer the jawless smaller variant, but the bigger one is nice.
For most of the proto mounts, the light grey with gold accents absolutely blow the rest out of the water. The darker ones just don't feel right, and the red ones feel out of place in most cases. Red wombat is the best wombat though.
I'm a little sad the protoform wolves are locked behind minigames, since I refuse to take part in that mindless spamfest. However, they show unique animations; it's like a mix of wolf and store mount/Ardenweald fox, but it's different enough to stand out.

I've grown out of my mount farming since I'm sitting at over 500 mounts and totally demoralized from years of Heavenly Onyx and Big Love Rocket failing to drop, but I'll gladly grab that Desertwing Hunter if I'm able to pick and choose which ones we make. The wombats are funny and all, but I'm all bear'd out from the shardhide mounts.