9.2 story spoilers

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Re: 9.2 story spoilers

Unread post by Ana »

ahh oki. Kinda curious to who gets the new crown.. The dialog kinda hint that Sylvanas was forced to do the bad things?

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Maria wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:28 am ahh oki. Kinda curious to who gets the new crown.. The dialog kinda hint that Sylvanas was forced to do the bad things?
Pelagos, once he becomes the Arbiter, will be getting the crown, judging by a datamined model.

Not exactly. The story Blizz is running with is that Sylvanas this whole time really wasn't her entire self, but she still had free will and chose to commit all of the crimes that she committed. If she didn't have control, she wouldn't have been able to have turned against the Jailer at the end of the Sanctum of Domination. It doesn't make a lot of sense, since the Jailer had the good portion of her soul the whole time, but apparently that good portion was also present throughout Sylvanas' time as an undead.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

ahh :D thank you again :D hard to keep track when I dont play anymore :P

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Maria wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:36 am ahh :D thank you again :D hard to keep track when I dont play anymore :P
Happy to help :)
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Any new story linies?

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Maria wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:28 pm Any new story linies?
Currently, no. There most likely won't be anything else until the patch goes Live and the raid releases, since the rest of the storyline takes place after the raid and Blizz won't have us test that.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Regarding Sylvanas's "split soul", some people seem to have reacted very negatively to the concept. But I think it makes sense.

There a lot of people who seem to believe that our minds, or personalities or "spirits" are inviolate, as if we simply "are who we are" and all our choices stem from that. But it only takes knowing a good person who has suffered a brain trauma in specific parts of the brain, like a stroke or tumour, or dementia, or even a strong mental trauma, to know that external events can change a person's behaviour radically, through no fault of their own. And even then it's not all-or-nothing: the personality changes can fluctuate, and the person can be aware of their behaviour, and even traumatised by what they've done (this is the most heartbreaking). Our personalities are fragile things, even when we think they're constant.

I see what happened to Sylvanas as the fantasy equivalent of that. Instead of "brain" we have "soul" but the effect is the same.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I don't think people were upset about the split soul trope in general. It's not a bad thing, as it can help create an interesting story. The problem with Sylvanas' split soul is that it comes out of nowhere and doesn't do the trope justice. We had a female lead that actually DID SOMETHING FOR ONCE, but suddenly she began to grow more antagonistic, going so far as to become a pure villain in her actions. A beloved fan favorite character suddenly going bad for no apparent reason, then later finding out that she's just a lapdog to a big bad guy that just happens to exist now, is a bad thing. The worst part is that the split soul deal was well done with Uther, as we could all tell something was wrong from the very start. The cinematic they teased us with for Shadowlands outright proved he got messed up, so his character was interesting; we wanted to know WHY he's bad now, we wanted to face him, and ultimately we wanted some kind of resolution for him. His split soul, which was an antagonist at first, gradually evolved into another good character. Uther was...kind of the only character that had real development in Shadowlands, but still.

Sylvanas though? She gradually became more and more evil, then became a recurring villain that returned every Saturday morning. After she has a light change of heart in one moment, Blizzard expects us to love her again. One little cosmetic change and a young man telling her that she's dumb as hell, and now she's a good character again. No, just no. Sylvanas and her split soul story is just dumb. Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard expects us to like this change, even though it's so terribly forced and poorly executed. Just because she regained her conscience, we're expected to feel bad for her. Sylvanas' entire character was ruined irreversibly, and no amount of effort that's less than a total lore reboot would redeem her. Just let her die a horrible deserved death, finish Shadowlands, make a 9.5 or pre-expansion patch that quietly shoves the Shadowlands under the rug and puts 100% focus on the new story that's in 10.0, whenever that's coming.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

You're right, Sylvanas's increased sinister nature doesn't fit so well with the fact her soul was split decades earlier. Though it was made clear (albeit in a subtle way) that she was aware of what the Apothecary Soc. was up to (culminating in the Wrathgate), even though she publicly distanced herself from them. So, she was never a good person, or at least she was a person who was happy to be benevolent when there was no benefit not to be.

I guess the Jailer could have been using the stolen soul fragment to control her and make her behave in a more evil fashion, but her condition doesn't seem to have been like Anduin's, so I'm not sure that could be used as an explanation either. Except that maybe the effects vary a lot with the individual personality.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I dont have any opnions :) just curious to whats happening whilst im away :)

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

I’m also only interested in what path sylvanas will take and what impact it’ll make on the story when she gets her free will
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Technically, she always had free will. That is why she was so distraught over the decisions that she has been making. Without the good side of her soul present, the evil part of her soul was able to grow and made decisions that, if her soul was complete, would never have been made.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

So is 9.2 the last expansion before new expansion?
Any story upgrades?

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Maria wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:54 am So is 9.2 the last expansion before new expansion?
Any story upgrades?
As far as we know, yes. There won't be anything else until the next xpac.

Currently, no.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Thank you! :)

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

You bet :)
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Any new story developments?
And any leaks about the next expansion?

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The Jailer has been killed. He apparently wanted to remake the universe in order to stop some greater threat, but we don't know what that threat is.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Sounds stupid, the jailer was evil just to erase a greater being, I waited to see what would happen to the jailer and this lol, hopefully the next xpac will have a better storyline and villain
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Story gripe: the current ZM chapter has a story that is set after we've completed a certain point in the raid. A point which nobody doing LFR can do, and many casual guilds may not have done either. We can access the quest, it just puts everything out of chronological order. That's really bad design.

Also: a neverending chain of beings wishing they could undo a flawed creation. I'm starting to wonder if that's just the chief story designers projecting :lol: