New Expansion Discussion and Speculation!

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Re: New Expansion Discussion and Speculation!

Unread post by worgpower »

Osteowings are cool, but I’d definitely love to make some sort of dragon-warrior mog on my character
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Big "Boo" on dragon wing cosmetics. On one hand, that takes away the uniqueness of Demon Hunters who had wicked wings. On the other hand, I want dragon wings to be part of a class or new race. It's wasted as a cape transmog if that ends up being the case. Plus, I doubt there will be Onyxia wings, so I doubly don't care for the idea of dragon wings. Keep the wings limited to flying mounts, lest this be a more controversial Aion.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Well, it turns out there were actually a lot of credible leaks this time around. Like, a lot of credible leaks.
I have mixed (but cautiously positive) feelings about the reveal so far. I love dragons and will say yes to all things dragon. classes, races, mounts, horns and wing cosmetics, pets- everything. so the more likely i am to get those things the more i am likely to love the xpack.
I certainly liked the things they did show, and I am all hyped to play a dragon! And i am glad they finally added a ranged hero class for once. But I do feel like having one race that can only be one class that only has two specs, and that class only being accessible to one race is very, very restrictive. I can understand the animation workload of customizing something like that for more races being a reason to make it a dragons only class but I would have liked for the Dracthyr race to have more than just one class option. =/ so while i think the humanoid forms look beautiful and i am very happy with the dragonoid forms (so glad the females keep the androgynous look! THANK YOU) I really hope they expand the list of classes they can be. :(

The dragon riding looks fun. kinda funny that we are learning to ride dragons after so many years of drake mounts but i'll excuse it because reasons. Customizable mount is cool- (really hoping the Dracthyr get a racial mount like worgen that turns them into a dragon- but i doubt it) as a mount collector i can see myself having a lot of fun with this one. though i will be curious to see if they implement this in older zones and if so, will it make old mounts a less effective pick? or will our new power be constricted to just the dragon isles?

I am mostly just a little apprehensive about how little they introduced outside of those two things? Like a new UI, talent tree and professions are all good but i don't see them being a core part of why most people will log on to play every day. (unless talent trees are our new grind system and you NEED to level it to stay relevant? not sure i would like that, but a cosmetic version of those things would be fun.) I was expecting one or two more big things along the lines of covenants/class halls/island expeditions/battle pets to help beef things up. like maybe collectible spell cosmetic customization or world healing. but then again, im not necessarily big on things like garrisons or torghast so maybe it will be ok.
it sounds like we are getting a more MoP style xpack which i think is sorely needed and im glad its supposed to be headed more by research and exploration than military fighting for once.
So overall I love dragons and am hyped for more dragon themed things and i think pet proto drakes are a strong possibility right now. But i think i just need a little more info on the direction they are going with this before i form a solid opinion.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

From what they’ve said and released, the talent tree points will be obtained as we level, just as was the case originally. This xpac, as of right now, doesn’t have any sort of system that you have to grind power in order to progress.

I do agree that, as of right now, there doesn’t seem to be much else outside of lvling, pvp, dungeons, and raids. There’ll be rep, of course, but after you do that and work on obtaining new dragon riding skills and talents, what else is there?
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

The new race, i wish we had normal race customizations for them, too many elves, evoker looks impressive, and I love the riding concept, makes it feel more lifelike
Last edited by worgpower on Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I hate how the Dracthyr look. They look like an artist who primarily deals in animals tried to make a Don Bluth dragon, then shrinkwrapped them to fit a tiny skeleton. They just look plain awful. The customization options for the human form (so far) can't save them either. I like the concept, but I go full "push it back in" like that tiktaalik meme that nobody liked. The major systems being overhauled is a welcome change though, especially the new crafting. Can't help but think that they took inspiration from other MMOs that took off in popularity because of WoW's many failings, but still.

Dragon Riding however? I'm sure we can all agree that the wyvern is by far the ugliest choice, and that the ptero-dragon is a really silly concept. I'll be rooting for a way to make the proto-dragon look like the Northrend variety, because I so want a more stylized Time-Lost Proto-Drake. Though, if I find out that I can make my drake look like Onyxia...
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I think that there needs to be more classes for Dracthyr. I know that they want for them to be unique, but really all it does it limit them. For most, only two of them will be made: one for Horde, one for Alliance, or one that is dps, and the other a healer.

I am also curious as to whether or not the Dracthyr form can wear armor or not. Yes, it is wearing a sort of underwear in most videos, but they are never shown to be wearing anything other than that, at least as far as I’ve seen.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I just hope dracthyrs won’t need mounts, i love race/class fantasy, my hunter only uses running wild in no fly zones
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

worgpower wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:11 pm I just hope dracthyrs won’t need mounts, i love race/class fantasy, my hunter only uses running wild in no fly zones
There is a released animation from Blizz that shows them using an idle flying animation. Not a gliding one like shown in the reveal trailer or what DHs use, but one where they are flapping their wings.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I was reading through an interview, and in it they said that Dracthyr will be able to use the Dragonriding system, either through a drake that they can ride or through their own wings.

Also, based off of some lore discussed in that same interview, Proto Drakes may still not become tameable.

Spoilers Below

Basically, there is a type of dragon called the Primalists. They follow a group called the Primal Incarnates, which are followers of Galakrond. The Primal Incarnates and, are huge proto drakes that chose to not follow the Titans. They believe that everyone should follow dragons because of their power.

So, since at least the Proto Drakes on the Dragon Isles are sentient/sapient, it is possible that they will be off limits for being made tameable.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

Meh.

Dragon class. I would be hyped for it. If I didn't have to play another blood elf.
First it was bloodelf only paladins, then blood elf only DH, now blood elf only Envoker.
I don't want to play a bloody blood elf!

You can't say they aren't bloodelves either.

As for my thoughts on the class?
Meh? Meh!
I don't like casters most the time anyway, with the exception of affliction. I would have liked if there was something like a run and gun caster, like a mix between hunter and mage being able to cast while moving, and getting more benefits for moving instead of literally getting bonus dps by standing still and watching a cast bar.
Healer? I duno I don't play healer. But the fact that there is only 4/5 aspects being used makes me think that they pussied out with a 5th melee spec. Possibly tank, who knows.

Regardless I think that restricting them to elves again is shit, you got a race that can canonically be anything, even a tree. And you make them bloodelves.

Talent trees look, interesting but with that I have a horrible fear of them going back to ranged SV.

Training dragons I don't care really since I won't be able to keep it. Probably just customise it to look cool use it while I still can, and when default flying is unlocked go back to auto flying everywhere.

Other than that. I haven't seen anything that makes me look forward to the game, only things i'm dissapointed in. Except for the ducks... the ducks are cool.
Tuskar look weird.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Apparently normal flying won't be able to be used for everything. There will be areas that only Dragonriding can get us to.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

For now. Until 10.1 or 10.1.5
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

According to Red Shirt Guy, someone leaked on April 16th an exact list of everything that would be announced today. There were only two things that weren't mentioned today: the main villain being Murozond, and there being an allied race (not Dracthyr) that are tied to pre-ordering.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Oh that's cool. Maybe one for each faction?
IS IT FINALLY OGRE TIME AFTER ALL THESE YEARS?!
probably not but an orc can dream.

It's probably another elf.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

I really hope they change their minds about it being only one class. That takes a lot of the excitement out of it. I understand how resource intensive it'd be to make all races 'dragon-worn' or whatever, but they really should make the new race open to other classes.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Talihawk wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:10 pm I really hope they change their minds about it being only one class. That takes a lot of the excitement out of it. I understand how resource intensive it'd be to make all races 'dragon-worn' or whatever, but they really should make the new race open to other classes.
I agree. I can easily see Dracthyr being able to be Warriors, Mages, Paladins, Shamans (maybe), Priests, Rogues, and Hunters. I know that they want to make them unique, and them having a class that only they can be will do that. There isn't any reason at this time why they shouldn't be able to be other classes.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt, and believe they actually have some smart buisness plans.

Because if I was in charge (I'd allow tamable slimes then probably do a horrible job)
I would probably have the expansion go as it is. After a patch or two, announce a new spec for the dragons, the black dragon aspect which would be. Either a spellsword or a dragoon.
Then at the end of the expansion when everyone has had their fun. Unlock the race and let them be a bunch of new classes, bringing more people in to play the game again.
And add some alt dragon human forms like orcs, tauren etc. To make people who haven't tried them try them out.

This way you would have a solid hook for every major patch.
Ooo new class, oooh new spec, ooooh new allied race forms, oooh new class race combos.
That's what will sucker in the casuals that aren't hooked to raids or altaholics.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

@Valnaaros could you please share a link to Red Shirt guy or the leak he mentions?

Valnaaros
Pet Finder