New Expansion Discussion and Speculation!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

New Expansion Discussion and Speculation!

Unread post by Wain »

With the announcement of the new expansion scheduled for 19 April in the USA, I've gone ahead and created a new forum.

I'll actually be in New Zealand when the expansion is announced, and be staying on Great Barrier Island. I found out after we booked that the entire island is described as "off-grid" and has only solar / battery power for homes, and so it's going to be difficult to be very active on here during that week. I'll see what I can do on my iPad (phone reception on the island is a whole other concern).

Anyway, please go ahead and make all the threads you need, and post anything you find!

My one request is that if there are any leaks prior to 19 April (and yes, there has been a major one just now), by all means post that here, but please avoid posting the spoiler info in your subject heading (which may be seen from outside this forum!).

Enjoy the new expansion hype!
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Re: New Expansion Discussion!

Unread post by Talihawk »

Woot. Yikes good luck on your trip ! sounds exciting.

I do hope we get some of what I've seen in the 'leaks' on MMO champion. I'd love to see some kind of playable dragonkin race, or a dragon themed class. Especially if it's ranged and fast paced dps.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Re: New Expansion Discussion and Speculation!

Unread post by Ana »

Ive seen a couple of teories online but have a hard time seeing how they will connect the storylinies. Not getting my hopes up because well it's WoW..
If it's a decent storylinie hubby might drag me back so maybe we will return :)

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

A dragonkin type of race does sound like an exciting idea.

I just hope we don't have the flights set up the same way as Covenants in Shadowlands. Or if they are, I hope at least they've learned from the frustrations with that system. They became cynical, slow, painful grinds that didn't offer players genuine rewards with a decent pacing.

As for tames, I don't expect us to be able to tame sapient dragons, but I hope we'll encounter more dragon-like beasts we can tame, akin to cloud serpents or other "wyrms". Even more colours of drake hound would be appreciated, though I got the impression that Chromaggus was an experiment and not a natural species. But who knows what other exciting non-dragonlike models we're likely to see? :)
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Tbh I love to see bulls added as tameables.. we have oxen and yaks but a good strong bull like creature would be awesome. And some orher goat and ram models.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shen'dralar

Unread post by Tsukina »

Wain wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:51 pm I'll actually be in New Zealand when the expansion is announced, and be staying on Great Barrier Island. I found out after we booked that the entire island is described as "off-grid" and has only solar / battery power for homes, and so it's going to be difficult to be very active on here during that week. I'll see what I can do on my iPad (phone reception on the island is a whole other concern).
Cheer up Wain, they say that the area is beautiful (especially for diving), although be careful with any critter from the real world... that they are all dangerous there, even if they are very "cute", be careful.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Tsukina wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:42 am Cheer up Wain, they say that the area is beautiful (especially for diving), although be careful with any critter from the real world... that they are all dangerous there, even if they are very "cute", be careful.
Thanks :) Is it possible you're thinking of Great Barrier Reef, in Australia? :) I'm sure people can dive around Great Barrier Island (though I won't be!) but the two places aren't near each other :)
Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shen'dralar

Unread post by Tsukina »

Damn... what a fool, that's what I get for not reading well... :?

I confused Island with Reef... I must pay more attention when reading, especially in another language...

It seemed strange to me that you were going to stay in the great barrier reef for so long (although with a big ship everything is possible)

Well, still, I don't think New Zealand animals are any less dangerous than their Australian cousins :lol: ...

So be careful as well.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

Well going off the whole, it's gona be dragons thing.
If they do, do dragon flights I hope it's less a covenant thing and more, 4 trees you get free access to like like an extra talent row or something.

Few things they need to learn from shadowlands. Less systems, More cosmetics, less currencies, less crap to fill your bags, more alt friendliness.
Any super levelling thing, like artefact knowledge, azurite level etc etc, should all be account bound. Nothing is more discouraging than having to grind to hell and back to just get to the starting point to use your alts.

But for taming... GIMME DEM DRAGONS!
Jokes aside, Protodrakes, or some pseudodragon would be totally fine. You can say they are intelligent, but we got noodle dragons and can tame plenty of mobs that can talk.
OBVIOUSLY YOUR BOY WANTS HIS TAMEABLE SLIMES! Though i'm gonna be pissed if they put them in the exotic section.
Plant hydras, tons of the undead horses get no useage. Errrrm. I think it'll just come down to when they anounce the game later this month, then we can really start rolling the ball for cool tame ideas.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I agree with Danny in the fact that we aught to hold off on final early predictions until we get official non-leaked confirmation on the expansion's name and/or subject.

Going off of the dragon theme though, give us a Hati-like drake pet.
- Find an egg on the new continent, hunter-only item.
- Hatch the egg over a week, get your whelp. You name it here.
- Raise the whelp through a quest chain for a month. It grows up into a small drake at the end.
- As a drake, tame it. It's a new family of pets that any hunter spec can use. Don't limit it to Beast Mastery.
- Can skip the daily stuff with the help of a Bronze Dragon who'll just age up the drake for you if you bring another egg. Hyperbolic Time Chamber montage or some silliness.
- Secret whelps to find, like an Onyxian Whelp, Nether Whelp, and a whelp for an Atramedes-themed drake.
- Absolute bonus points; unique animations and higher quality textures, so they're not just low-res drakes with vanilla drake animations.

If I could have a little Onyxian Drake as a pet, you bet your butt crack I'll get that as soon as possible.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Well, based off of the dragon-themed rewards that Wowhead found a couple of months ago, and now that they datamined a WoW xpac called "World of Warcraft: Dragonflight" and it has the same tier lvls for bonuses as recent xpacs have had, I think that it is fair to say that this will be the xpac. Possibly will be based in the Dragon Isles.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist

I would so love to 'raise' my own dragon whelp. That would be so epic-ally wonderful. But with how Hunters have been treated lately I'm not feeling all that optimistic.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

You say hunters have been treated bad, But I feel great playing my hunter. It's funny to see all the new people trying out SV.

Something they NEED to do to really help out hunters though, is return the option to pick pet specs. So many pets are useless.
This is even before adding new tames and all this fancy stuff.
This ONE single feature, is the most important fix for me personally.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I agree. We have tons of things to tame. It isn’t like they never do anything in that regard. The current problem is that there are so many pet families that are very weak due to their spec.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist

I'm glad you are enjoying Sv Danny, but I really miss a lot of the spells and abilities we had in previous expansions. They were far more fun and enjoyable for my personal playstyle. Hunter feels watered down despite getting back some fairly useless spells that are only u helpful in very niche situations.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I do think that if every we were going to get more dragon pets, this would be the time to do it. They seem to be hitting that point where they have started to give players all the things we have always asked for but they told us would never happen. Having cloud serpents added at the start of shadowlands seems like a good sign, and i wouldn't be surprised it they were saving the other drake-like pets for Dragonflight.
Yeah yeah yeah i have heard the sentience argument before and am not holding my breath for taming a straight up child of the aspects. But i do think the line has always been blurry when it comes to game vrs lore. There are plenty of other animals who have been able to talk that we can tame. Evalcharr /yells taunts when he is up and Tsulong speaks well enough that i assume he has similar intelligence to a normal dragon. Warcraft lore vrs game mechanics has always been...iffy. (not to mention we don't require any explanation as to why dragon mounts/ battle pets are ok, especially from flights that supposedly hate us. *shrug*) So i think there is some wiggle room

I would love to have a straight up dragon pet gained through a method similar to what WerebearGuy suggested. maybe have the end of the quest line clarify that they are more of a traveling companion who is tagging along to learn and grow alongside us rather than being a pet, though they fill that mechanic slot.

But even if that never happens i think there are still plenty of possible dragon options that could be available through the expansion of various special family's. Sprite darters, proto drakes, spirit beats like elegon, mechanical dragons, undead dragons, ect. I'm interested to see what will happen.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I just don’t think that it will happen. Are there pets where they do show sentience? Sure, but those are the exceptions, not the rule, and likely they were just flagged as tamable without actually checking into who that particular npc is, at least to some extent.

Cloud Serpents are not related to the Dragon Aspects at all. Yes, they are based off of Chinese dragons, but within WoW lore they are not actually dragons.

As for battle pets and mounts, those two things have basically always have been about gameplay and less about lore. After all, most likely a twilight drake would not be ok with being our Mount, nor would Sporelings be ok with us kidnapping their children and making them fight in mini battles.

I would rather them add something new that is similar to dragons without it actually being a dragon. They don’t have to use something that already exists. Just make something new.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Talihawk wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:33 pm I really miss a lot of the spells and abilities we had in previous expansions
Yer, I miss caltrops, and fury of the eagles. Made things more fun. The harpoon bleed on movement resets was so great. Legion SV was so much fun. I loved tossing traps around everywhere. I think SV definitely needs more qol self sustain since we are supposed to be in everything's face, But that's just what it is.
I think with the current state of hunters though If they removed melee from it. Unless they make BM more interesting I think i'd go back to playing warrior or DK.
Makes me wonder what we will be keeping from this expansion?
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

ooohh heck yeah wowhead just found five cosmetic back slot items connected to the pre-order rewards. all five are the same model but each is a different color. me thinks we are finally going to get some dragon wings!
when they introduced cosmetic back slot items i was surprised they didnt do more wing based things and suspected they might be holding out on dragon stuff for the next xpack. dragon themed cosmetics are one of the things i have been hoping for from this.

Talihawk
Petopia Artist

Oh My I would die for some dragon wings *sobs for hope*