Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:54 pmAs for Blizzard not wanting pets to fly; there's a good reason for that, and it's a whiny bunch of players who have the highest level of entitlement out of the playerbase. Flappy pets are ANNOYING in pvp due to their size and erratic movement, and because it's a brand of annoyance that can easily be "fixed" by simply keeping pets grounded where possible, it receives that trimming.
to be fair, I don't pvp but still prefer flying pets to be grounded outside of combat or running. I really love my chimerae, but the wing clipping my pc body drives me insane!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The ice spider model has received an update in this build: it now has really nice effects that make it look like it's composed of translucent ice.

Previously, its textures just looked matte and fake-frosted, like some other not-so-great model updates from the past. The new look is technically only subtly different, but actually quite effective!

Unfortunately, it's hard to convey with a still screenshot and I can't post videos here, so here's a link to the Twitter post if you'd like to see :)

https://twitter.com/wowpetopia/status/1 ... uGvLPQOauA
(The reply tweet immediately under it has a video with how it looked in the previous build).

And here's the dark one:

https://twitter.com/wowpetopia/status/1 ... uGvLPQOauA
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

The new effect on the ice spider really sells the reflective surface, though it's funny to me that these sorts of shaders have existed since the early 2000's, and they still look better than trash like RTX and overly glorified shaders. Simple is best, and this spider benefits greatly from it.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

I love the new levels of shine on these models, I also thought the old ice ones were ok, which gave a dry ice-stone type of look, the shine looks exceptional on the ice bear models, and I hope the shines will be added to the icy armoredon color
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

GormanGhaste wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:26 am
WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:54 pmAs for Blizzard not wanting pets to fly; there's a good reason for that, and it's a whiny bunch of players who have the highest level of entitlement out of the playerbase. Flappy pets are ANNOYING in pvp due to their size and erratic movement, and because it's a brand of annoyance that can easily be "fixed" by simply keeping pets grounded where possible, it receives that trimming.
to be fair, I don't pvp but still prefer flying pets to be grounded outside of combat or running. I really love my chimerae, but the wing clipping my pc body drives me insane!
I don't mind feathermanes that use the wyvern model just run when moving even though I feel they should at least fly when moving fast and land when they attack. However, I do feel that Rylaks SHOULD have the options to fly when on the move and land as it attacks.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Earlier, I put up a bonus trick ability idea for all winged families that have both flying and grounded looks, but now I decided to change it up a bit, allow hover to last permanently until cancelled, not only it’s a cosmetic animation option, it’s not gamebreaking either, if you want a flying duck or a walking Dread Raven, do what the hunter would want, anyone think this is a good idea?
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:54 pm The thumb thing on the slyverns is that they have hands AND wings, rather than hands that have adapted into wings. If we use real biology, then slyverns have seven digits with one digit being attached to its elbow. Just think; a finger on your ELBOW. That's just weird as hell. Not to mention how those hands look like mutant growths out of their limbs rather than a natural evolutionary trait.

As for Blizzard not wanting pets to fly; there's a good reason for that, and it's a whiny bunch of players who have the highest level of entitlement out of the playerbase. Flappy pets are ANNOYING in pvp due to their size and erratic movement, and because it's a brand of annoyance that can easily be "fixed" by simply keeping pets grounded where possible, it receives that trimming. The best solution is obviously a way to toggle flight and terrestrial movement that's forced to terrestrial in a pvp environment, but it's just significantly easier and cost effective to not let them fly in the first place. It's unfortunate.
Counterpoint:

If they can allow people to troll LFR, BGs, and raids with Toy Train Sets, and put the thing that removes said train set on a 30 minute CD, they can let our pets fly.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Maizou wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:39 am If they can allow people to troll LFR, BGs, and raids with Toy Train Sets, and put the thing that removes said train set on a 30 minute CD, they can let our pets fly.
Whoever created that trainset is... not in heaven. I use my Lil' XT to get rid of it as soon as I hear it.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I want the trainset as a hunter pet.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Just played beta, and armoredon size has been shrunk, I like it, but the fast animations make me laugh, and hopefully they speed up the hornstrider run, my pet peeves in wow are slow running animations, hence why I don’t tame classic worgs, owlsteeds, warpstalkers, and saurolisks, I only use slow motion pets if they fly, like cloud serpents and birds
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Maizou wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:39 am
WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:54 pm The thumb thing on the slyverns is that they have hands AND wings, rather than hands that have adapted into wings. If we use real biology, then slyverns have seven digits with one digit being attached to its elbow. Just think; a finger on your ELBOW. That's just weird as hell. Not to mention how those hands look like mutant growths out of their limbs rather than a natural evolutionary trait.

As for Blizzard not wanting pets to fly; there's a good reason for that, and it's a whiny bunch of players who have the highest level of entitlement out of the playerbase. Flappy pets are ANNOYING in pvp due to their size and erratic movement, and because it's a brand of annoyance that can easily be "fixed" by simply keeping pets grounded where possible, it receives that trimming. The best solution is obviously a way to toggle flight and terrestrial movement that's forced to terrestrial in a pvp environment, but it's just significantly easier and cost effective to not let them fly in the first place. It's unfortunate.
Counterpoint:

If they can allow people to troll LFR, BGs, and raids with Toy Train Sets, and put the thing that removes said train set on a 30 minute CD, they can let our pets fly.
Pet flying when moving shouldn't be a problem. Just let it land when it attacks or stop moving, just like ZM wasps.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Blizz just posted this about Lesser Dragonkin

Lesser Dragonkin are a Ferocity pet.
Lesser Dragonkin have a new pet family ability, Shimmering Scales. This reduces your pet’s magic damage taken by 70% for 8 seconds, on a 90 second cooldown.
Cloud Serpents have had their pet family changed from Serpents to Lesser Dragonkin, but the ability to tame Cloud Serpents has not been changed in any way.
Lesser Dragonkin taming is currently planned to be a reward from the Valdrakken faction.
Lesser Dragonkin includes creatures like the new Hornswogs from Dragonflight, or the Feathered Drakes in Ardenweald, or even some of the Faerie Dragons in places like Feralas.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

YYYYAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!! I cannot wait to go into battle with a Veilwing and Cloud Serpent at my sides!
CrankyClaw

Unread post by CrankyClaw »

I'm still going to go into battle with a GoodBoy and GoodCat on either side, unless I can avoid using Animal Companion entirely, then it will be GoodBoy for any general use.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

faerie dragons!! Yay!
chrth

Unread post by chrth »

Has anyone checked to see if the Winged Spiritstalker is tamable now? I see one in the Beast Warrens on live near 53:69 but I'm not currently able to log into beta to check.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I hope they’ll be added, it’s such a cool model, it’s more than just a dragon, it looks like balrog, it’s undead, and the effects are also very foggy
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

chrth wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:32 pm Has anyone checked to see if the Winged Spiritstalker is tamable now? I see one in the Beast Warrens on live near 53:69 but I'm not currently able to log into beta to check.
The taming pass hasn't yet been completed for Lesser Dragonkin. Besides that, the rep reward that grants the ability to tame them hasn't yet been implemented.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I've got several copies sitting at various critters, just checking every patch now. Anything could happen...except my plant hydra dream. That's cut off at the roots most likely.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

WerebearGuy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:36 am I've got several copies sitting at various critters, just checking every patch now. Anything could happen...except my plant hydra dream. That's cut off at the roots most likely.
One day, when the Botani race becomes a playable allied race, your dreams will come true.