Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Re: Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

Unread post by worgpower »

Recently nowadays, since wow factions are merging and coming together, races are drastically changing from themselves to one in the same, especially the allied races joining the horde and alliance
CrankyClaw

Unread post by CrankyClaw »

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:55 am - Dragons. Once, the textures implied they had rough scales and osteoderms like a reptile similar to crocodiles. Now, they're smooth and have a faint "we're still scaly, guys" texture. Also excessive hair for whatever reason.
- Gnolls. Once, they were hunchbacked and rabid monsters, ready to rip out your entrails while laughing. Now, they're soft and fluffy quirky hyena men that emulate a fursona version of those hyenas from Lion King.
- Draconids. While I do like that they got updated, they still suffer the many problems of simplification. Smooth skin, zero intimidation, and WHY DID WE GET DRACTHYR WHEN WE COULD HAVE HAD THOSE AWESOME DRACONIDS?
- Tauren. Remember when they looked like monsters? Now they look like Disney princesses, having lost their intimidating presence to look like silly costume mascots.
New generation of artists working on this stuff is part of it. Also there is a move away from "menacing" for most things.

Probably also the time to develop. Corners will be cut someplace.
CrankyClaw

worgpower wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:12 pm Recently nowadays, since wow factions are merging and coming together, races are drastically changing from themselves to one in the same, especially the allied races joining the horde and alliance
There is a new style to the art for sure that's part of that "political" movement in the game.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Found a tameable Ottuk

Some more Amoredons

Found a skeletal wolf and a skeletal eagle that both retain their spectral appearance after taming them.

There is an area with a bunch of beasts that have an electrical effect on them, but they don't retain it after taming.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I have found more tameable Ottuks throughout the zone. Perhaps it was decided to make them all tameable?
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Otters are always welcome. Glad they made that choice.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

TBH I feel Ottuk and Marsuul should be in their own group, Weasel. Other than that I hope for tamable Salamanders/Axolotls and having its own group as well.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

ace_of_hearth wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:47 am TBH I feel Ottuk and Marsuul should be in their own group, Weasel. Other than that I hope for tamable Salamanders/Axolotls and having its own group as well.
I completely agree.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Valnaaros wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:54 pm Found a tameable Ottuk

Some more Amoredons

Found a skeletal wolf and a skeletal eagle that both retain their spectral appearance after taming them.

There is an area with a bunch of beasts that have an electrical effect on them, but they don't retain it after taming.
It’s too bad Scalehides are vegetarian since our fellow shardhides and soon to be fellow armoredons eat meat in their own zones, and as for the ghost hound, I want one
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

BTW, I have confirmation that ottuks are intended to be tameable, so no need to worry.

As for family: clearly they aren't rodents, but it's not too bad of a placeholder for now. They're unlikely to get their own family by 10.0 release and I think placing them in Rodents is better than not getting them at all (and a much closer fit than where snails have been placed!). They're such a gorgeous model, and they make occasional chirruping sounds as they accompany you. It's adorable, but not frequent enough to become annoying.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Just like the Crane family became Waterfowl (despite cranes NOT being waterfowl or even remotely related to waterfowl), the Rodent family needs a name change to encompass assorted smaller animals. If only "critter" wasn't already used for every tiny creature that could be a battle pet. The rodent family in WoW currently consists of;

- Porcupines (Rodent)
- Alien Mongoose/Weasels (Feliforma/Mustelid, respectively) (**if you consider it a mongoose, it's more closely related to hyenas than rodents!)
- Undead...things (Mawrats look nothing like a rodent)
- Golem wombats (Marsupial)
- Beavers (Rodent)
- Otters (Mustelid)

Quite the odd selection of assorted smaller animals, with only two members actually being rodents in real life. I'm totally fine with otters being grouped with the rest, but the overall family needs a new name.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

The pink hornstrider is in-game! I didn't catch the name, (thought I took a screenshot but guess I didn't. X_X)

It's the hornstrider one of the first NPCs you meet in Ohn'ahra Plains mentions that killed his father and wounded him. It has a name, so it'll likely retain after taming if it is tameable.

He just randomly showed up while I was doing the quest killing Hornstriders, one shot me (he was level 70) and ran off. No idea if he's flagged tameable cause it was very random. Lmao.
CrankyClaw

WerebearGuy wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:48 pm
Quite the odd selection of assorted smaller animals, with only two members actually being rodents in real life. I'm totally fine with otters being grouped with the rest, but the overall family needs a new name.
I know the focus here is on pets, but.. Blizzard needs a science officer. They have a long standing history of using RL names or images, and applying them to things that don't look like that name or image in RL.

A few expacs ago there were fish (cooking component) where one icon clearly looked like a salmon, but was applied to some other fish, but there was a fish that had salmon as a name, but some icon that looked nothing like one. I've seen the same with ores and other things.

So it surprises me not at all that Blizz would mangle pet families and classifications.

Someone please get Blizz a science officer.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Maizou wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:38 am The pink hornstrider is in-game! I didn't catch the name, (thought I took a screenshot but guess I didn't. X_X)

It's the hornstrider one of the first NPCs you meet in Ohn'ahra Plains mentions that killed his father and wounded him. It has a name, so it'll likely retain after taming if it is tameable.

He just randomly showed up while I was doing the quest killing Hornstriders, one shot me (he was level 70) and ran off. No idea if he's flagged tameable cause it was very random. Lmao.
Yes, he is a lvl 70 elite that patrols around the center of the zone. He is flagged as tameable. I reported it for over on Twitter a couple of days ago :)

Also, I did find a tamable Bakar that uses three of the spiked variants. I posted a picture of it on Twitter. :)
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

Wain wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:22 pm BTW, I have confirmation that ottuks are intended to be tameable, so no need to worry.

As for family: clearly they aren't rodents, but it's not too bad of a placeholder for now. They're unlikely to get their own family by 10.0 release and I think placing them in Rodents is better than not getting them at all (and a much closer fit than where snails have been placed!). They're such a gorgeous model, and they make occasional chirruping sounds as they accompany you. It's adorable, but not frequent enough to become annoying.
Now, imagine if you can be a Tuskar Hunter with an Otter pet, and a Duck mount.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've now updated our database with the taming/availability status of all the new Dragonflight looks. Thanks to Valnaaros for the vast majority of these data!

Now at least you can see what we've found tameable so far, and what's missing:

https://www.wow-petopia.com/dragonflight.php

Caveat: the stuff from Azure Reach (which was the first zone to open) isn't thorough, as I spent most of the time wandering in an excited buzz, and taking pics for tweets. So, there are probably some looks that are actually tameable that I've missed. Also, other things have probably changed or been added since the zone was last open. Hopefully it'll be open again soon!
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Happy to help :)
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

When I get home from vacation, I can try to find more variants, when waking shores was open, I spotted the unused grey riverbeast variant, but i don’t know if it’s the light or dark one
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

worgpower wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:30 pm When I get home from vacation, I can try to find more variants, when waking shores was open, I spotted the unused grey riverbeast variant, but i don’t know if it’s the light or dark one
Yes, I noticed that one as well and recorded it, it just hasn't yet been posted on the website :)