Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Re: Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

Unread post by worgpower »

I’d like tameable Cata storm drakes since they’re very similar to zilla, and Nether drakes due to their similarity to sharks, and I’ve been waiting for a tameable shark of some sort
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

@Bambu: I'm all for hunting rares, but I'd leave that one alone. It's too iconic of a rare to suddenly be sought by hunters. I can't imagine how much butthurt that would cause, but as wonderful as the butthurt would be, Time-Lost Proto-Drake should remain untameable if proto-drakes are flagged tameable. Sadly, that would mean that the ONLY yellow proto drake without a saddle would not be tameable, but I'm not about to steal this mount from people.

@worgpower: God, that's why I hate the stupid chin dragons. I hate Zilla and everything that bootleg stands for, and now I finally know why I've disliked the cata storm drakes all this time. It never occurred to me that they look so similar.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

It’s the same reason I’m not the biggest fan of legion storm drake faces, they’re faces are small compared to their chins, I’m not huge on square chinned dragons myself, that’s why im not all over the highland drake mount
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:30 pm @Bambu: I'm all for hunting rares, but I'd leave that one alone. It's too iconic of a rare to suddenly be sought by hunters. I can't imagine how much butthurt that would cause, but as wonderful as the butthurt would be, Time-Lost Proto-Drake should remain untameable if proto-drakes are flagged tameable. Sadly, that would mean that the ONLY yellow proto drake without a saddle would not be tameable, but I'm not about to steal this mount from people.

@worgpower: God, that's why I hate the stupid chin dragons. I hate Zilla and everything that bootleg stands for, and now I finally know why I've disliked the cata storm drakes all this time. It never occurred to me that they look so similar.
Eh it didn't stop blizzard from making world bosses tameable who have mount drops. Sure comparing 15 m timer vs potentially days for a spawn is much different but honestly blizzard sees this stuff as ways to keep subs. More hunters trying for it means less of a chance for mount farmers to get it meaning they will play longer.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

Aroim
Pet Finder

Unread post by Aroim »

Bambu wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:34 pm Horrifying thought: Time-lost Proto Drake becomes a tameable unique skin
There's the Jotunheim Proto-Drake that has the colors of Time Lost except that it has a saddle, located in Icecrown

It would still be unique, but at least you would have the color "without stealing a Mount" :D
Last edited by Aroim on Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aroim
Pet Finder

Unread post by Aroim »

After they aren't aggressive and don't care if my pet growls at them or not, I figured out a way to put one in an ice trap, so should proto-drakes ever become tameable, there would theoretically be a golden one with a saddle

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'd really be shocked if they allowed proto-drakes to be tamed, but then I wasn't expecting them to allow fey darters, so who knows?

Back in Northrend it really felt like proto-drakes were just dumb beasts - they were depicted that way in almost every situation. But I don't believe they're intended to be any less intelligent than the ones in the Dragon Isles, so I assume they were simply less chatty. They do live very basic, low-tech lives, even if they are smart, so I guess that's why the ones in Northrend really seemed to have the intellects of animals.

As for fey darters / faerie dragons: I really love them and I'll definitely tame some! But, I think the devs may end up paying for this decision, since now every time someone asks to tame an intelligent, sapient creature they'll point to fey darters as the precedent.

Also, in our database I picked the names "fey darter" and "feywing" for the little and big "faerie dragon" models because I felt it was better to distinguish them from true "dragons" by avoiding that word. They're both words that are used for some of them in the game, so I've appropriated them for the entire models.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Also, I'm in the process of adding all the NPCs (that we've recorded so far) to the database. Cross fingers!
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Proto-drakes are basically dinosaur dragons, if you think about it. Sure, there's those that are smart, some that are intelligent, and few that can hold conversation, but remember; the same can be said about Cloud Serpents. We can tame several sapient examples, mainly being Nalak (arguable sapience) and Tsulong (the most degrading tame possible, right now). Plus, other than the major antagonists of Dragonflight, I don't think there's even any sapient proto-drakes. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, but they're feral reptiles that are distant relatives of modern dragons, which definitely puts them in the "lesser" category, just like our ancient monkey ancestors are lesser hominids.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

WerebearGuy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:15 am Proto-drakes are basically dinosaur dragons, if you think about it. Sure, there's those that are smart, some that are intelligent, and few that can hold conversation, but remember; the same can be said about Cloud Serpents. We can tame several sapient examples, mainly being Nalak (arguable sapience) and Tsulong (the most degrading tame possible, right now). Plus, other than the major antagonists of Dragonflight, I don't think there's even any sapient proto-drakes. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, but they're feral reptiles that are distant relatives of modern dragons, which definitely puts them in the "lesser" category, just like our ancient monkey ancestors are lesser hominids.
They should be tameable, but think about all the variants that have to be added to the database, there’s more than what I’ve seen throughout the dragon isles
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

I think the ones on the dragon isle are supposed to be smarter?
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

If you think about it if we can't tame proto drakes why then can we tame gorillas and monkeys, who are our ancestors.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I thought the natural ones in the waking shore were normal, and the elemental ones are sentient primalist drakes
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Well to be fair, wow lore says the humans etc are from vykrul who were crafter by the titans. The whole curse of flesh thing.

I also think i saw a lore video a while back that said the dragonflight were all protodrakes before they were gifted inteligence from the titans.
https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Proto-dragon
Going off this, depends if you want to believe the wiki as canon or not. Protodrakes are monkeys.
The ones on the dragon isle become sentient smart ones, the primalists.

But take it with a grain of salt since it could all have been a plan by the jailer. kek.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

If protodrakes are dragon apes, we can have them as lesser dragonkin
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Agreed. Basing it off the lore, I think it's safe to put them in lesser dragonkin AND ALL GET OUR GREEDY LIL HANDS READY TO GRAB SOME!
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I stop checking for updates for a week and as soon as i do dragonkin pets are announced?!
Yesssss YES! As the prophecy foretold!
I am very excited by this. I have literally been waiting my whole WoW life for this announcement.
Im guessing sprite darters will be an easy yes, with the shadowlands drakes and noodle boys having a good chance of joining them. would love to see the soul eaters join in as well but im not sure about that one. I'd love for undead dragons to be added but i suspect they would be considered too sentient.
I think we have a strong chance at proto drakes and personally i think they should be added. probably not the ones in dragonflight, since it seems they stuck around on the island and got smart- but the ones in WotLK are considered to have a more beast level of intelligence and were depicted more as wild animals/ beasts of burden.
As much as i'd like a true and proper drake- i think anything with a proper drake model would and should be off limits. even some of the lesser flights like storm/wind/stone drakes are probably too smart. but the giant sprite darters should be fine!

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I just want to tame them all on my SV hunter already, I’m so happy they are ferocity and not exotic, Hoping It’s valdrakken source won’t require too much renown levels/rep
Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:30 pm @Bambu: I'm all for hunting rares, but I'd leave that one alone. It's too iconic of a rare to suddenly be sought by hunters. I can't imagine how much butthurt that would cause, but as wonderful as the butthurt would be, Time-Lost Proto-Drake should remain untameable if proto-drakes are flagged tameable. Sadly, that would mean that the ONLY yellow proto drake without a saddle would not be tameable, but I'm not about to steal this mount from people.
Why I said it's a horrifying thought.

Though, I'm in the camp of "a cosmetic is a cosmetic". Some people collect mounts, I collect rare unique pets. It would just be a matter of who finds it first.

Hopefully it won't become tameable. Even if there's a duplicate skin, if the unique name stayed, I'd have to tame one.

Anyhoo, I really hope they add the missing cloud serpent colors somewhere. Would love for them to add a bunch of rares with missing skins around old content again, preferably instanced though.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I also want more cloud serpent colors, I’m mostly crossing my fingers for a fix on the fey darter wings cuz I want the spectral one, and a way to tame unsaddled fey wings on alliance