Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Re: Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

Unread post by worgpower »

WerebearGuy wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:10 pm It's a shame that they lose their effects. I remember losing a tank during a Tirna run, and there were three hunters total. We planned which beasts we'd tame and who we'd trap, clear out as many beasts as possible, then have all of our pets act as the tanks while the healer focused on the pets. All those ghostly moths and foxes, losing their stylish looks. We got to the boss, and I noticed we could tame those foxes that spawn and freeze you; I had the bright idea to tame one. Of course, despite it being an illusion and not a real, living creature, I found it hilarious that we could tame it. Sadly, the Illusionary Vulpin just became a regular blue fox after taming, so it was just as boring as the other imaginary creatures throughout the maze segment.

We really need to push for cosmetic effects to be a thing again. The sprinkled in ghost looks are nice, but there's so many beasts that have ENTIRELY harmless visual effects that are lost. Bears with spider eggs, elk with mushrooms, illusions that we can tame, and so on; so many unique visual effects that would add to a hunter's customization with ZERO impact on the game overall outside of satisfaction for players who want something neat. I know the hot new thing is dragons, and rightfully so, but we really need to push for visual effects to persist on taming. Hidden buff effects that give those extra visuals but are lost on taming need to be persistent after taming, stabling, arenas, and logouts.
I agree, if we can have a iron horde Clefthoof full of armor and effects, we should be allowed to tame maw crows and mushroom backed foxes that would keep their special effects, it shouldn’t be problematic to add considering we have special looks like hexed craghoppers and shadowcrazed marsuuls
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

It's not like we need to push for it right this very second, but it shouldn't be a thing that's left on the cutting room floor. While the chance of having the team go back and fix every single past mob that could be eligible is certainly an extreme task that would be a pet project (haha) at best, having future tames that have fancy effects keep said effects would be a very much appreciated thing. It's not like the guys in charge of pet shenanigans don't listen; they'd have an angry Wain to deal with if pets were forgotten! We just gotta let them know that we absolutely want to have these insignificant little traits be part of the appeal in taming them. After all, think of it like this; we can tame like fifty different NPCs with the same skin as others, and not one of them is unique aside from where that NPC was located. Using my previous examples, what sets apart a bear with spider eggs in its poop chute and a bear without poop chute spiders? Right now, just an NPC ID. Let's not forget that they listened to us in keeping tamed NPC names, and they fixed a whole bunch of them when they didn't keep their names. While that fight is still ongoing for EVERY NPC to keep its name instead of just rares and quest mobs, the fact that it happened is proof that little projects like this go an absolutely long way. We can't give up in pushing for such small yet impactful vanity additions, because if we don't push, it really will never happen. Just push gently with a little force here and there.

As worgpower pointed out, we do have several examples of pets that actually keep visual effects without the use of glitches. Unintentional or not, these are definitely well-loved pet skins because they're so unique. There's also the Argus talbuk with the faint glow, the ghostly spiders of Maldraxxus, the spectral black unicorns from the Legion invasions, and several others out there that I'm forgetting. The pet guys know we like this stuff, so we need to keep pushing for it to become the norm for such niceties to be persistent.
Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

ImageWill older beaver models be made tameable I wonder? I think about that lightning one from ToT a lot, would make a funny spirit beast, being low poly and all. Could call it Zappybara.
Attachments
thundertail-flapper.v521edd8d145470efeaf518b7d09649058e4f8112.jpg
thundertail-flapper.v521edd8d145470efeaf518b7d09649058e4f8112.jpg (15.15 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I keep checking beavers every chance I can since I got the alpha invite, but they've continued to be forgotten every patch. Soon, hopefully. As for a spirit beast, I'd probably disagree there since it's a critter model rather than the beast model. I could've sworn there was a proper higher res model, but I can't find it. Wain never made a page with MoP beaver skins it seems, so I can't even reference a reliable source lol.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

I really hope we get the electric beavers but they all seem to just be critters or battle pets. I also wish we could tame the Thunder Drakes, it'd be awesome.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

We have a good amount of creatures that still need tameability, and DF is the best opportunity to have them
Ambystans - toads or lizards
Skeletal horses - coursers(duh)
Old beavers - rodents(obviously)
Soul eaters - warpstalkers or lesser dragonkin
Razorwings - Feathermanes or lesser dragonkin
Scythids - ravagers or aqiri if they’re not sapient
Vorquin - lesser dragonkin
Bramble beasts - bears and cats
And unused colors for older creatures, same procedure as 9.1
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

There's also all the skins currently trapped on island expeditions, since those are still not correctly flagged as tameable yet.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

I'm curious how big the dragons will be next to us.
I will be pretty disappointed if they shrink down to nothing.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I predict the larger dragons will just be the pet size of a thunder lizard when tamed, just like how cloud serpents aren’t too big when tamed
Skelelmyrn
Realm: Bloodhoof and Uther

Unread post by Skelelmyrn »

worgpower wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:49 pm We have a good amount of creatures that still need tameability, and DF is the best opportunity to have them
I would add the following to this list:

Grubs - Worms
Gorm Matriarchs - Worms or Carapids
Throne of Thunder Snails - New Family Mollusks or Carapids
Seals - Could be Riverbeasts or a new family with Ottuks and MoP Otters
Skelelmyrn
Realm: Bloodhoof and Uther

Unread post by Skelelmyrn »

Skelelmyrn wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:19 am
worgpower wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:49 pm We have a good amount of creatures that still need tameability, and DF is the best opportunity to have them

Grubs - Worms
Oh and Wilderlings which could be Lesser Dragonkin or, if you Beast Lore them, they are currently in the Wolf family so they could go there too
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

Skelelmyrn wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:19 am

Grubs - Worms
I feel that Grubs should be its own family called Grubs and Catterpillars should move into that group. Make it on exotic.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

How did I forget grubs, we need our grubs now
Talihawk
Petopia Artist

If you have BETA or PTR access please go voice your opinions on pets on the Forums. There are only a few of us saying anything about pets and several folks getting cranky about me and others mentioning anything about them. If we want them fixed we need to be louder about it, not getting drowned out.

I believe we need more quality and quantity comments about our pets, for the Devs to really take notice of the issues.

Here are the places to post at.

Beta: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... rs/1279513

PTR : https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c ... ussion/271
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Talihawk wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:04 pm If you have BETA or PTR access please go voice your opinions on pets on the Forums. There are only a few of us saying anything about pets and several folks getting cranky about me and others mentioning anything about them. If we want them fixed we need to be louder about it, not getting drowned out.

I believe we need more quality and quantity comments about our pets, for the Devs to really take notice of the issues.

I've been attacked enough for bringing up pets I would rather not. I had to mute the hunter thread over it for a while.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

There are changes that need to be made, but a lot of the Hunter community doesn't have the same kind of care for pets as we do. Having a bunch of us swarm the thread would like just cause a big argument and accomplish little.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist

Yes but if we say nothing or only two of us say anything, the Devs will assume that no one gives a darn really and the issue will never get fixed.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I wish players cared more on how special some pets really are and how big of an impact pet specs are, there’s over 1000 looks tameable and people dislike pet ui and decides to just go with what blizzard wants for them, we bring up something about adding more looks or spec changes, we get shunned or told that they don’t care
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

Talihawk wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:04 pm If you have BETA or PTR access please go voice your opinions on pets on the Forums. There are only a few of us saying anything about pets and several folks getting cranky about me and others mentioning anything about them. If we want them fixed we need to be louder about it, not getting drowned out.

Nice. I just got Beta today. What should we post? How should we contribute?
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Fact; the people that try to refuse hunter pet content are the same people that enjoy pet battles, transmog, mount collecting, and making their characters look good. The irony in their infallible logic is always a treat. If you speak up on the forums, just be reasonable, take your time in writing a detailed post, pay mind to your grammar so that you don't sound silly, and make a compelling argument that explains what you want to put forward. Likewise, don't respond to the filth that tries to shoot you down without putting the same amount of effort into their post. If they can't respond with at the very least 2% of the effort you put in, then their opinion genuinely does NOT matter. Don't give them the tiny satisfaction of riling you up; if they are an idiot, let them act like an idiot. If transmog, pet battles, mounts, toys, and all the other collection aspects of the game are valid things to discuss, then so too are hunter pets. Who cares if it's an aspect limited to one class? Just remember; you are not obligated to fall for bait. Don't bite the hooks they throw out, voice your contribution, and don't flood the page. If there's another pet-related topic, piggyback onto it. If your thread is the one getting piggybacked, link to other posts in the main post so that they don't get lost. Large threads get more attention, as long as it's not some circlejerk or spam thread.

I don't really think the WoW forums are even that good of a place to voice things anyway. Sure, it'll help get actual gamebreaking or health-related problems solved quickly, but small vanity things for fun? That either results in a nerf or a topic that's left unresolved. Good luck if you do go to post stuff there though. I would love to be proven wrong on this for once.