Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

Unread post by Wain »

Bambu wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:27 pm
WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:30 pm @Bambu: I'm all for hunting rares, but I'd leave that one alone. It's too iconic of a rare to suddenly be sought by hunters. I can't imagine how much butthurt that would cause, but as wonderful as the butthurt would be, Time-Lost Proto-Drake should remain untameable if proto-drakes are flagged tameable. Sadly, that would mean that the ONLY yellow proto drake without a saddle would not be tameable, but I'm not about to steal this mount from people.
Why I said it's a horrifying thought.
Can you imagine the fighting over this dragon! :lol: It would be a nightmare.

Just to note: I uploaded most of the new NPCs to the database last night, so now when you mouse over a new look in the guide you can see which NPCs have it. Collecting all the NPC data was an epic feat, and a huge proportion of the finding and recording was done by Valnaaros. Just amazing work!
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I am fairly certainly that all Proto Drakes are of a higher intelligence, even if they don't necessarily express it. One of the WoW novels takes place before the Dragonflights existed and it is from the perspective of the future aspects, who were Proto Drakes, and it shows that they and other Proto Drakes are sentient/sapient. They were even able to communicate with Tyr, whom is a Titan Keeper, and were able to think about and agree to accept the power that would transform them and other Proto Drakes into Dragons, as well as the responsibilities that came with this new power.

You can also look at the Proto Drakes that are major characters on the Dragon Isles. They have made it very clear over and over that they disagreed with the Aspects accepting the Titans power. That disagreement took place before the Aspects actually accepted that power, which means it also takes place before these other Proto Drakes infused themselves with the Elements. This means that when they were basic Proto Drakes, they had enough intelligence to have philosophical differences and able to debate them. Something that is just an animal wouldn't be capable of doing such a thing.

You could say that Blizz originally didn't design Proto Drakes this way and that they were originally just like animals, which might be true. But the lore that has been created in Cata and now in Dragonflight shows that, no, they aren't simply animals. Whether or not they can talk doesn't really matter. Yetis and Wendigos, aside from a single one in Storm Peaks, are not capable of speaking languages like Common or Orcish, but they are a sentient/sapient species. They name each other, can formulate strategy, are able to form alliances with other races, and believe in an afterlife.

I completely agree with Wain in that Blizz will ultimately end up regreting this decision. It is one thing to have an exception to the rule with tames like Nalak or Tsulong. It is another when you take an entire sapient species, which Sprite Darters are, and make them tamable. If they can be tamable, then why can't other dragons be? What about Murlocs? Makrura? Kobolds? As long as it looks like a beast should it be tamable?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Wain wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:44 pm
Bambu wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:27 pm
WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:30 pm @Bambu: I'm all for hunting rares, but I'd leave that one alone. It's too iconic of a rare to suddenly be sought by hunters. I can't imagine how much butthurt that would cause, but as wonderful as the butthurt would be, Time-Lost Proto-Drake should remain untameable if proto-drakes are flagged tameable. Sadly, that would mean that the ONLY yellow proto drake without a saddle would not be tameable, but I'm not about to steal this mount from people.
Why I said it's a horrifying thought.
Can you imagine the fighting over this dragon! :lol: It would be a nightmare.

Just to note: I uploaded most of the new NPCs to the database last night, so now when you mouse over a new look in the guide you can see which NPCs have it. Collecting all the NPC data was an epic feat, and a huge proportion of the finding and recording was done by Valnaaros. Just amazing work!
Happy to have helped, Wain :)
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Sprite Darters, Cloud Serpents, and Veilwings are all in Lesser Dragonkin. Feywings, Proto Drakes, and Wolf Serpents are not.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Feywings would be a great fit, and some animations show that it’s rather doglike than anything, still hoping the most for them since they’re a rather high quality dragon model
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

I really hope they don't add Proto Drakes.

I understand some people don't think they're sapient - but all modern dragons started as Proto Drakes. The Aspects included.

If they were sapient enough to start an uprising to take down Galakrond, they shouldn't be tameable.

---

Like I said though, I wouldn't mind adding a questline (maybe tied to Valdrakken Renown?) where we learn to befriend dragons like Merithra and the Centaur Clans did. When the Centaurs needed the dragons, they'd blow the horn.

So instead of our whistle to summon the Dragon pet family, we'd blow a Centaur Horn.

For gameplay purposes, we'd still have to cast "Tame Beast" and se them as pets, but story wise, they're allies who respond to our distress calls.

Hell, I wouldn't even be against it becoming a cooldown in the class tree. "Summon Dragon Ally" similar to how warlocks can temporarily summon a felguard/pit lord/etc.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

I also don’t think proto drakes should be tameable according to their lore, but the other latter being added to the family should, there’s a few beasts that could potentially be part of lesser dragonkin like soul eaters, but I also think chromaggus should be part of the family due to being a dragonkin prior to cata and dragon-hound experiment, he’s just as abominable as gluth
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

Honestly, I would think the Feathered Drake should satisfy most people's desires to tame a dragon.
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

I think it's because the dragon frogs don't really do it for me as far as lesser dragonkin go. Someone will do this major rep grind for horned frogs essentially. Think besides feathered drakes and feywings there should be another big dragonkin that wouldn't have been tameable otherwise. You could retcon storm or stone drakes as not being intelligent enough, since they are even more "primal" than proto drakes.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

PinkFuzzies

Unread post by PinkFuzzies »

Hello fellow beastie lovers <3

New here, instead of lurking thought Id say hi!

Can't wait to live my "How to train your dragon" fantasy

Personally, I'm holding out my hopes that noodle doggo dragons will make it to the list (Wilderlings) so that I can have a Never Ending Story Falcor experience :D
Attachments
dfsdfsdfsdfdsf.JPG
dfsdfsdfsdfdsf.JPG (40.55 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah! Sadly, the wilderlings are still not flagged or anything.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

Wain wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:45 am Yeah! Sadly, the wilderlings are still not flagged or anything.
Wilderlings and the Razorwings would be good additions.

I think Storm Drakes would be good too - apart from a couple, they haven't really shown sapience, just sentience. Almost all proto drakes have shown sapience.

Plus, Storm Drakes are directly referred to as being tamed by the Vrykul. So taming is a possibility.

I would kill for this to be added and tameable:

PinkFuzzies

Unread post by PinkFuzzies »

I shall keep hoping :D Noodle dragon doggos ftw!

And I doooooo like Stormy drakes too!
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

Here's a novel idea. Group Slyverns and Wilderlings into a new family called Wilderling, or Sky For, or something. Make them ferocity pets. Give them Updraft and dodge. You're welcome.
chrth

Unread post by chrth »

Wain wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:27 am I've now filled out the Lesser Dragonkin page with a few more models and looks:

https://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php? ... rdragonkin

These include four veilwings:

What about the spectral veilwings from the Mists of TS dungeon? Or are they not a separate model, just an existing model+effect?
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

chrth wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:55 am
What about the spectral veilwings from the Mists of TS dungeon? Or are they not a separate model, just an existing model+effect?
IIRC they are just effects because you can tame the Toads and Moths from the Maize and they loose the effect post tame.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

ace_of_hearth wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:57 am
chrth wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:55 am
IIRC they are just effects because you can tame the Toads and Moths from the Maize and they loose the effect post tame.
The veilwing in the dungeon hasn't been flagged tameable, and if it was I couldn't yet tame it to confirm the look just yet (since the skill to tame them isn't available), but I have been in there and the model viewer in the bug report suggests they're just normal veilwings with a temporary effect that would be lost upon taming.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Yes, that is the same for the other beasts in the dungeon. Once they are tamed they lose the effect, so it is most likely going to be the same for the veilwing.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

It's a shame that they lose their effects. I remember losing a tank during a Tirna run, and there were three hunters total. We planned which beasts we'd tame and who we'd trap, clear out as many beasts as possible, then have all of our pets act as the tanks while the healer focused on the pets. All those ghostly moths and foxes, losing their stylish looks. We got to the boss, and I noticed we could tame those foxes that spawn and freeze you; I had the bright idea to tame one. Of course, despite it being an illusion and not a real, living creature, I found it hilarious that we could tame it. Sadly, the Illusionary Vulpin just became a regular blue fox after taming, so it was just as boring as the other imaginary creatures throughout the maze segment.

We really need to push for cosmetic effects to be a thing again. The sprinkled in ghost looks are nice, but there's so many beasts that have ENTIRELY harmless visual effects that are lost. Bears with spider eggs, elk with mushrooms, illusions that we can tame, and so on; so many unique visual effects that would add to a hunter's customization with ZERO impact on the game overall outside of satisfaction for players who want something neat. I know the hot new thing is dragons, and rightfully so, but we really need to push for visual effects to persist on taming. Hidden buff effects that give those extra visuals but are lost on taming need to be persistent after taming, stabling, arenas, and logouts.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I don’t disagree that there should be more tamed that retain effects after being tamed. There should. The issue is that it does take extra work on Blizz’s part to make the effect part of the npc. And seeing as we are only getting one new family with this xpac (at this point) and there are many things that could be tamable but are not from SL, I don’t think that there really is a way that we can push for it and make it happen :(