Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Re: Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

As worg mentioned, Cloud Serpents are an exception to the Lesser Dragonkin taming. As of now, and for the foreseeable future, you can tame Cloud Serpents if you already learned how to do so from How to School Your Serpent. The folks behind the only fun aspect of Hunters were kind enough to make sure we didn't need two different books just to tame them. That would've been cruel.
Lee
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Moonguard | Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Lee »

worgpower wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:33 pm
Lee wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:20 pm So I apologize, I took a very very long hiatus from WoW, missing almost all of Shadowlands... I saw some stuff about taming lesser dragonkin in the last few pages, and it is my understanding that the cloud serpents will be switched to this family upon prepatch.

I currently have cloud serpent taming unlocked. Upon the 10.0 patch, will I suddenly be unable to tame them without also having the specific Lesser Dragonkin taming book?
The taming skill hasn’t changed a bit, just the family the cloud serpent belongs to, dragonkin taming is not required for cloud serpents, if you’ve tamed one in Shadowlands, it’s going to have both bite and claw when summoned
Okay, that answers my question! Thank you! ♥
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Just note that bite and claw are just cosmetic variations of the same attack, so they're not gaining any power by having both :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

It actually makes quite a difference when I use a SV hunter running Coordinated assault, sometimes the procs with the cooldown are faster when both bite and claw are toggled, and when I used a different pet, procs were much slower
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

In case Twitter goes down, I've created a Petopia account on Mastodon. Our ID is: @WoWPetopia@mastodon.social

I'll get around to making a Warcraft Mounts one as well.

If you haven't used Mastodon, it's a little different. You create a profile on a server (mine is mastodon.social) but can follow people on any server. So the server doesn't restrict what you see, it's just where your profile is housed. I believe servers might have different policies on behaviour, but they're also restricted by an overall policy against certain types of rude, abusive, and discriminatory behaviour.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Why not set up a discord instead of using Mastodon? I'm sure most users already have discord for at least one thing by now, and having an instant Petopia forum for brief discussions and to talk during site downtime would be far more appealing than using Mastodon's awful site. Plus, I just really don't want to download more useless apps on my phone; I already have ten weeb gacha games, and that's more than enough lol.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

We have a warcraftpets discord that operates with a few dedicated posters, so I could see a petopia one working just fine.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:23 pm Why not set up a discord instead of using Mastodon? I'm sure most users already have discord for at least one thing by now, and having an instant Petopia forum for brief discussions and to talk during site downtime would be far more appealing than using Mastodon's awful site. Plus, I just really don't want to download more useless apps on my phone; I already have ten weeb gacha games, and that's more than enough lol.
A petopia discord would be great, especially for discussions, we can all nickname ourselves to our forum names in that discord if we end up having one, if we want to have discussions about a certain topic, we can discuss it in discord, we definitely should still use the forum for new hunter finds and news regarding anything coming in the future
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Discord would be more of a replacement for this message board than a replacement for Twitter. Discord has its uses (though I personally dislike it, I do use it from necessity), but it doesn't seem to have much value for broadcasting news to anyone who doesn't purposefully visit your server. Twitter does that, and I'm using Mastodon if Twitter goes down.

I'll think about setting up a Petopia Discord, much as I dislike it, though.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

heh i dislike Discord too Wain :) and i fear it would kill the talk on this site... but if the majority wants discord then its prob best to do that... Wont be joining as i wont have Discord anywhere near my computers

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

yeah, I strongly prefer organized topic threads as opposed to chaotic chat logs. I guess that makes me old :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Update: I'm caving and creating a Discord. I've been getting some advice on how to set it up from a trusted friend who has a lot more experience at it. But when it happens I'll need some really good moderators I can trust. This forum is mostly pretty easy, but things can go to crap pretty quickly on Discord.

Anyway, I don't want to drive this thread any more off topic. I'll start a new one once I have a clearer idea of how it's going to work.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I love sharing hunter pet finds here and on discord, with discord it’s easier to send a message and get responses right away, I like the forum too because of the safety, we can let ranting and discussions regarding pet topics on discord, i love to share older rare finds on discord on some other servers while I prefer to share new ptr and in game finds on the forums
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

My suggestions for when you do get it up and running;

- Petopia Announcements channel that only you can post in, where you can post site and forum updates (such as if something's down, when the site comes back up, or just general improvements)
- Warcraft Mounts Announcements channel that, like the above, is strictly for site-related updates
- Q&A channel where people can ask pet related questions, including help finding shards for rare pets

We don't need much; Discord should not be the alternative to the site's forums, unless the forums are just permanently gone for whatever reason. It should primarily just be a means of pushing announcements and news with a means to communicate in the event that the site is down, as well as having a proper alternative to a Twitter-like feed that requires little to no effort to browse when that inevitably crashes and burns, and nothing more. No offtopic, no general discussion, no silly stuff; just site status and news with a channel for outage communication. As for moderation, it's probably best to pick people on the forums you trust, ask them in a DM for the discord handle once everything is all set up, and put them in the security guard seats.

Just my two cents as someone that has like 20 different discords that are full of too many people talking at once.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

With a little over a day left (as of this post) before Dragonflight launches, I think it's safe to say we won't be getting many new surprises until Monday evening at earliest. Friendly reminders for everyone;

- Rep (now renown) is a passive thing, not something you tryhard for. Valdrakken will just happen naturally, so don't push yourself to get tameable dragons day one.
- Keep an eye out for tuskarr-related stuff, especially fishing. Ottuk taming is still a mystery, though there's plenty of tuskarr stuff we haven't fully investigated, such as the special fishing profession content.
- Don't try to tame quest mobs right away, unless you are somehow alone. There will be people trying to do the content, and questers take priority over vanity collection. Be kind, not greedy.
- Be quick to tell everyone about any unique finds. If we find fun glitch pets, share with the community! God knows we've not had many in recent times, and it'd be a shame to miss out on them.
- Remember what you do. If you discover something new, and it's not "just there" for everyone else, do what you can to retrace your steps. Information is the most important aspect in every field, after all.
- Bring a coordinates addon like Tomtom, and be sure to let everyone know where you found something if it's not super common. Again, information is valuable!
- Be mindful of your stable slots. I can't be the only one who realized his main hunter only has 60 slots left vacant.
- Don't rush. You'll have plenty of time to collect all the pets for a few years.

I do want to issue a fun challenge to whoever is interested though; as soon as I get the tome to tame dragons, I'm immediately rushing to Wailing Caverns and aiming for an orange Deviate Faerie Dragon. I wanna see if someone can get better RNG than me and beat me to it. There's no prize of course, but I just wanna have a fun race. The only proof needed is having the tamed pet's name above the right color pet! To efficiently farm for the color;
- Enter Wailing Caverns in the Northern Barrens
- As soon as you load, type /tar deviate faerie
- You will see it if it spawns, and you'll see what color it is in the portrait
- If it's orange, go tame it, screencap it, and see if you post before me! The pet's name must be "Deviate Faerie Dragon", and visible in the screenshot.

Whatever thread we use for posting our 10.0 tames in is where you should post your screencap. To whoever takes me up on the race; good luck!
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:06 pm With a little over a day left (as of this post) before Dragonflight launches, I think it's safe to say we won't be getting many new surprises until Monday evening at earliest. Friendly reminders for everyone;

- Rep (now renown) is a passive thing, not something you tryhard for. Valdrakken will just happen naturally, so don't push yourself to get tameable dragons day one.
- Keep an eye out for tuskarr-related stuff, especially fishing. Ottuk taming is still a mystery, though there's plenty of tuskarr stuff we haven't fully investigated, such as the special fishing profession content.
- Don't try to tame quest mobs right away, unless you are somehow alone. There will be people trying to do the content, and questers take priority over vanity collection. Be kind, not greedy.
- Be quick to tell everyone about any unique finds. If we find fun glitch pets, share with the community! God knows we've not had many in recent times, and it'd be a shame to miss out on them.
- Remember what you do. If you discover something new, and it's not "just there" for everyone else, do what you can to retrace your steps. Information is the most important aspect in every field, after all.
- Bring a coordinates addon like Tomtom, and be sure to let everyone know where you found something if it's not super common. Again, information is valuable!
- Be mindful of your stable slots. I can't be the only one who realized his main hunter only has 60 slots left vacant.
- Don't rush. You'll have plenty of time to collect all the pets for a few years.

I do want to issue a fun challenge to whoever is interested though; as soon as I get the tome to tame dragons, I'm immediately rushing to Wailing Caverns and aiming for an orange Deviate Faerie Dragon. I wanna see if someone can get better RNG than me and beat me to it. There's no prize of course, but I just wanna have a fun race. The only proof needed is having the tamed pet's name above the right color pet! To efficiently farm for the color;
- Enter Wailing Caverns in the Northern Barrens
- As soon as you load, type /tar deviate faerie
- You will see it if it spawns, and you'll see what color it is in the portrait
- If it's orange, go tame it, screencap it, and see if you post before me! The pet's name must be "Deviate Faerie Dragon", and visible in the screenshot.

Whatever thread we use for posting our 10.0 tames in is where you should post your screencap. To whoever takes me up on the race; good luck!
I agree with everything you say, there’s no rush to get all the pets, I’m probably going to focus on the leveling first before I tame anything, but the lesser dragons are now my biggest dream and priority to have as a hunter pet, when it comes to rep, I’ll probably prioritize valdrakken accord, and do everything I can in each day/night when I play, plus valdrakken accord is the biggest rep with dragon customizations too, like bronze for a time lost proto drake, plus you gain 4 renown with valdrakken and 2-3 renown with other factions when you progress, can’t stop thinking about lesser dragonkin. Must. Get. Tome. Asap
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've split off any posts that were made after Dragonflight went live and moved it to the Pet Discussion forum:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26839