Wishlist for Hunter Pet System Changes in 10.0

ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Re: Wishlist for Hunter Pet System Changes in 10.0

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

DannyGreen wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:28 pm True true, I guess giving them a alternate version of the devilsaur's feast. Imagine it like the zanadalari regeneration racial. But call it Graze.
TBH I feel that Devilsaur Feast should be a bonus skill like cat's prowl. So, pets like Carrion Bird, Crocolisks, Hyenas, and Beetles can learn it. I also believe that Bird of Prey, Spiderds and Foxes should be able to learn Prowl as well.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

Sure but just adding a flat heal would keep it in the exact same place as before, it gets more heals there for better. Maybe just give it a extra charge. HA! Give it a stacking movement speed buff. Every 5 yards increase it's speed by 5%
CHARRRRGE!
Giving things a non combat related skill can really limit what you can actually do for it. Unless you make the skill so meaningless that you dont really notice like those +1% versatility racials.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I'm going to add this thing that I was shot down on fairly brutally last time, but this is still something that I want that would be beneficial in every regard with little to no downsides; an account-wide stable.

I have two hunters, one of which only exists because I tamed Guardian of the Elders and Zhao-Ren with it. That second hunter exists PURELY because I tested if Guardian of the Elders retains its name back when quest NPCs started retaining their names. If not for that tremendous effort and dedication to finally achieve, I would've deleted the character because I don't really want to have a second hunter, especially since we have cross-faction gameplay now. My main hunter is the only one I play, which I don't play hunter often since my main is a warrior and I like smashing my keyboard for damage. When I do play my hunter, it's usually to just goof around on, but I will do higher end content like heroic raids with it if it's an alt night or something. While I personally don't mind using my clefthoof (Nakk the Thunderer, another one I'm proud of taming), I roll with my baby direhorn almost 100% of the time as my animal companion. Now, in content where I'm not the only one with a bloodlust/heroism, I'll switch to a suboptimal pet purely to spice things up a bit. Thing is, of all the things I've tamed, there's only one that I can't use; the stone hound with a name I spent months taming. It's stuck on a hunter that I don't play, that doesn't have good gear, and is now rotting because there is absolutely no reason for me to play it other than to look at my stone hound for a minute or two before logging out.

I get that people may not like the concept of having all tames available to your account. I understand that there are hunters who theme their tames on different hunters. Thing is that, if we get a universal stable much like our pet journal, you can set favorites and have your themed hunter keep the ones they use. You can keep the special pets you've come to cherish. There is absolutely nothing that would diminish the value of any pet here. It would simply let you use pets you've tamed across your account(s). I want to be able to use my Guardian of the Elders with the baby direhorn as a companion, which right now is literally impossible since you can't have a single character that has tamed both due to the large time gap between when both were available, as well as the fact that the Pandaren with Guardian of the Elders would never have been able to tame the baby direhorn since Guardian didn't retain its name back then. It's like if I'm trying to enjoy a gourmet meal at a five-star restaurant, only to find that I can't use a knife and fork together. I have to either use the knife in my right hand or the fork in my left, but not both at once. I want to enjoy my meal with both utensils.

How could this work with Animal Companion, you may wonder. Well, there are really only a few options you could possibly have here;
- The first slot in the universal stable continues to be your animal companion. Change it as you feel necessary when changing hunters.
- Call Pet's fifth slot becomes the individual hunter's Animal Companion slot.
- A second version of Call Pet is added to Pet Utility called "Call Companion" that shows the same pets as Call Pet, but can't summon the pet you already have summoned without a glyph.
- A random pet from your universal stable is summoned.

The first three options have their positives and negatives. Option one would be the easiest to work with, as it just grabs the first pet from the first slot in your stable that has a pet, just like it does today. The inconvenience presented would be that hunters who want to roleplay or have preferences per hunter would need to change the animal companion every time. A minor inconvenience, but 99% of the result is perfectly fine. The second option is by far the simplest alternate to the modern setup, but its negative is very much obvious; you have less slots if you want to go on a taming spree. Though, if you went on a taming spree, you might not have a pet in the fifth slot until you tame a fifth pet. A situational inconvenience that is easily rectified. The third option is a bit more detailed, and genuinely has no downsides. Sure, some minor and insignificant issue may arise with it, but those would be negligible unless it was a game breaking problem. Add a glyph that summons a copy of your already summoned pet, and you've got yourself the return of Hati when it was fun. Now, I know the fourth option is an absolutely horrible concept and not a single hunter with a functioning brain would EVER want such a bad option, but I included it because that is a possible solution. It's a bad solution, but it still exists as a possibility that was worth highlighting.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot to add why this is beneficial to other hunters other than myself. While I could write a long explanation, I'll simplify it and compare it to pet battles. Let's say you spend hours, days, maybe even months waiting for a rare spawn. Let's say that, for some inexplicable reason, absolutely nobody on the Secret Finder's discord is able to help you hunt down a rare. Then, when you're on a newer hunter, you spot that very rare you desperately desire. Your options are to tame it then and there despite it being on the "wrong" hunter, leave it alone and feel down because you know you won't get it in time, or try to log over to your camping main quick enough and pray that nobody else nabs/kills it. Wouldn't that be absolutely frustrating if that happened? Surely, you've all had a situation like this, be it on another hunter or a different class altogether. With battle pets, it doesn't matter who you're on; you just grab it and catch it. This is why a universal stable would be beneficial; you can reap the rewards of YOUR playtime with any character on your account that is eligible to use them (read; any hunter regardless of faction or race).
Last edited by WerebearGuy on Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Pet Talent Trees back again, all I really want. :| And maybe their old AI (but that's a bigger stretch) :mrgreen:

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I loved pet talent trees back in the day!

I wouldn't mind an account-wide pet stable either. It would require a new UI which could include a special slot indicating the companion pet.

This would also be a great way to use pets that are faction-specific right now!
CrankyClaw

Unread post by CrankyClaw »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:47 pm I'm going to add this thing that I was shot down on fairly brutally last time, but this is still something that I want that would be beneficial in every regard with little to no downsides; an account-wide stable.
I want an account-wide (on the server) reagent bank before a stable.. now THAT would be useful.
CrankyClaw

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:28 pm Agreed. The tenacity change felt entirely pointless, like a nerf for the sake of nerfing something rather than a reasonable balance change. There is nothing gained from this at all.
But it's not a nerf. If anything, it's a minor buff, as you still can get SotF.

The problem is it doesn't fix the issue that Ferocity and Leach are still better.
CrankyClaw

DannyGreen wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:51 pm

Survival of the Fittest is now in the class tree.
One one hand, cool Defensives for everyone.
That's the only thing it does, defenses for everyone, but it's a pretty lame one, only really usable for a raid CD. To be honest, I had completely forgotten about it.

We do need the talents separated from the pets, but I don't see a way we get that this go around. DF is gonna be more of the same, and I'm annoyed that Thick Hides is gone.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Thick hides was a waste of points anyway.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

ace_of_hearth wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:40 pm Predatory Thirst should be a baseline pet skill regardless of its family. Give Ferocity avoidance and let all pets, whether they are Ferocity, Tenacity or Cunning, have Predatory Thirst. Don't @me and fight me irl.
An idea to make it:

Improved Mend Pet should be baseline and replaced with Predatory Thirst (2/2: 10/20% Leech).

Animal Companion should be a choice node. The second choice would give the pet something like a 10% attack and movement speed + Blood of Rhino, which would be named something else (extra armour and healing for the pet).

Clefthoof Blood of Rhino's Ability now reduces the duration of Poisons, Diseases, and Curses by 10% OR reduces Stun duration by 20%

Primal Rage is now a baseline ability called Aspect of the Wolf/Piranha/Pack (which makes more sense)

A new ability for Ferocity Pet would be called "Beastial Bond"; You and your pet gain 40% increased healing received but share 20% damage and healing received", 12-sec duration, 3 min CD).
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

A new ability for Ferocity Pet would be called "Beastial Bond"; You and your pet gain 40% increased healing received but share 20% damage and healing received", 12-sec duration, 3 min CD).
I think i'd rather have base movement speed and a cc imunity trinket, or the 20% bonus hp
If your running solo 40% of 10% is a 14% leech. Even with the +30% hp heal it's only 42% heal with investment. You'd have to spec into the pet heals to make it worth while.

How about this.
Hunting companion. A slow effect added to the pet's basic attack for 8 seconds, stacks up to 5 times (10% a stack) On 5 stacks target haemorrhages causing the mortal wound effect till the debuff is cleared and grants truesight to the hunter of the target.

Or another which as I was writing it seems op but also fucking cool.
Loyal companion. On player death the Hunter's pet will frenzy and attack it's master's foe.
Pve, Until death, or party wipe
Pvp Until death or 20 seconds
Improved Mend Pet should be baseline and replaced with Predatory Thirst (2/2: 10/20% Leech).
I do agree with this though, this is good.
bepples

Unread post by bepples »

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:28 pm Agreed. The tenacity change felt entirely pointless, like a nerf for the sake of nerfing something rather than a reasonable balance change. There is nothing gained from this at all.
Huh? This is quite a sizeable buff to Hunter survivability which is something the class needs a lot right now.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I wish the Talent 'Killer Instinct' would also give all pets Pathfinding, Predator's Thirst, and Endurance Training. The execute effect from the talent is fun and all, but by giving this extra perk to that talent, the likelihood of the hunter's and the pet's survivability, getting to see the target goes down to below 35%. And let's face it, some bosses like Odin and Sylvanas don't even go down to 35%, so this talent needs a bit more umph.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Not sure this belongs here but I love to se more spotted versions of the Rockfangs. Specially a white one with black spots

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I want a tameable slimecat
CrankyClaw

GormanGhaste wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:43 pm
CrankyClaw wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:06 pm
GormanGhaste wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:25 pm It makes no sense that casual hunters and raiding hunters are arguing here--it's apples and oranges. Yes of course, hunter talent trees should take into account high-end gameplay. I would argue though that a hunter pet forum isn't the crunchiest of places to have a serious discussion about it!
Yes, but there are casual hunters here that don't want any talents or tools they don't use in the game, and/or want it tuned solely to their needs.
Yes, there are all kinds of people who want things only tuned to their own needs. That's human nature.
Yeah.. thing is I really don't care what anyone else tames, but I do want to have raid viable choices, but also want to feel like I've earned something too. Taming pets now feels like going to the grocery store. There's nothing special about it.

One casual hunter with Alpha access was complaining that hunters had interrupts, and that they didn't use them, so no one needed them. It's aggravating that people without class knowledge are making those kinds of alpha feedback suggestions.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I hope we get a Glyph that would make Animal Companion talent to summon the same beast as the main active pet, named "Glyph of True Companion" or something. Instead of the first beast from the stable become the second pet, the glyph would make the summoned second pet, the same as the main active pet, be "<pet name>'s Mate or something.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

ace_of_hearth wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:20 am I hope we get a Glyph that would make Animal Companion talent to summon the same beast as the main active pet, named "Glyph of True Companion" or something. Instead of the first beast from the stable become the second pet, the glyph would make the summoned second pet, the same as the main active pet, be "<pet name>'s Mate or something.
Just catch the pet again.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

DannyGreen wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:22 pm
ace_of_hearth wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:20 am I hope we get a Glyph that would make Animal Companion talent to summon the same beast as the main active pet, named "Glyph of True Companion" or something. Instead of the first beast from the stable become the second pet, the glyph would make the summoned second pet, the same as the main active pet, be "<pet name>'s Mate or something.
IDK how to tell you this but people change pets all the time according to their need. I want my pet to match my pet according to the content I'm playing. For example in catch the flag bG i would use a cunning with slow debuff pet and when i pve I use ferocity with defensive buff. Catching the pet again would not solve the issue of me wanting to match my pet on the go. AND the price of engineering stable is 500g per use in my Server so that is hell expensive. And last time I check this is the WISHLIST post not the bring other down post. So kind off keep your opinion to yourself cause it is unsolicited and very negative. Please stop patronizing me and other people.
Goodbye and end.
CrankyClaw

ace_of_hearth wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:18 am
DannyGreen wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:22 pm
IDK how to tell you this but people change pets all the time according to their need. I want my pet to match my pet according to the content I'm playing. For example in catch the flag bG i would use a cunning with slow debuff pet and when i pve I use ferocity with defensive buff. Catching the pet again would not solve the issue of me wanting to match my pet on the go. AND the price of engineering stable is 500g per use in my Server so that is hell expensive. And last time I check this is the WISHLIST post not the bring other down post. So kind off keep your opinion to yourself cause it is unsolicited and very negative. Please stop patronizing me and other people.
Goodbye and end.
He wasn't patronizing you. You didn't explain your special needs and lack of gold in your first post. Perhaps learn engineering?

To that end, stables with 200 pets are part of the problem now. Back in my day, you had 5 pets, and one of those was only temp for learning pet talents.