Wishlist for Hunter Pet System Changes in 10.0

skillshott
Realm: magtheridon

Re: Wishlist for Hunter Pet System Changes in 10.0

Unread post by skillshott »

I want them to expand on what they are already doing and make abilities that pets can have. The mortal wounds group and the slow group are double sized, i say take 50% of those groups and make 2 more. Also replace the 50% damage reduction and 30% dodge with something else, they just feel redundant compared to the 60% shield at 40%. All in all tho they did well with this system they just need more varied abilities, so that I have reason to use even more species.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

COS ITS THE WISHLIST IM GON WRITE SOME SILLY WISHLIST STUFF!

I'm gonna piss some people off with the first one but.
All exotics are now skills books. This is just a silly idea so roll with me on this.
Book of dinomancy vol II/III for Devilsaur and pteradax
The ABC of the Aqiri (Aqiri book)
Hardback copy of Carapid caretaking (Carapids)
The Hungry Friendly caterpillars (Worms)

But since it's a new generation and I am gon be silly with it.
Plague Deviser Marileth's guide to friendly decomposition. (Slime pets Dropped from plaguefall mythic solo)
How to train your not so friendly dragons. (Dragons, mainly the dumb drakes dropped from a dragonmaw quest line)
Green fingers and greener friends (Mandragora hydra's purchasable by botanists. Account wide so you don't need to be a hunter to buy one.)
Drusty book on otherworldly customs (Drust animals if it's a cat, it's a cat no need for a new family.)
A pilfered warlock cheat sheet. (Allows taming of certain demon animals like the void hound)
Discontinued Brutosaur Brochure (Sold by the old brutosaur vendor for 50k gold)
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

That could be a fine idea, but it shouldn’t take too much away from BM since exotics are a special part of the spec, or exotics can be tamed via beast mastery, and then be summoned in other specs
CrankyClaw

Unread post by CrankyClaw »

GormanGhaste wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:25 pm It makes no sense that casual hunters and raiding hunters are arguing here--it's apples and oranges. Yes of course, hunter talent trees should take into account high-end gameplay. I would argue though that a hunter pet forum isn't the crunchiest of places to have a serious discussion about it!
Yes, but there are casual hunters here that don't want any talents or tools they don't use in the game, and/or want it tuned solely to their needs.
CrankyClaw

The Dark Ranger spec would be great for the folks who identify with that playstyle, but there's no way we'd get a separate spec, but instead they'd gut one of the other specs to get that.

They really do need to rework the pets, we should be able to change families, at least within certain groups. I'd give each pet 2 spec choices. Say every pet could be either Ferocity/Cunning, or Ferocity/Tenacity. There's some pets that don't make sense as Tenacity, and some don't make sense as Cunning. So, any pet could be Ferocity. But with that change, Every pet would need a BM specific extra talent.

I also would like to bring back true rare special tames, if that's even possible in this age.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

CrankyClaw wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:06 pm
GormanGhaste wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:25 pm It makes no sense that casual hunters and raiding hunters are arguing here--it's apples and oranges. Yes of course, hunter talent trees should take into account high-end gameplay. I would argue though that a hunter pet forum isn't the crunchiest of places to have a serious discussion about it!
Yes, but there are casual hunters here that don't want any talents or tools they don't use in the game, and/or want it tuned solely to their needs.
Yes, there are all kinds of people who want things only tuned to their own needs. That's human nature.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

worgpower wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:06 am That could be a fine idea, but it shouldn’t take too much away from BM since exotics are a special part of the spec, or exotics can be tamed via beast mastery, and then be summoned in other specs
Was thinkin more on that thing we go on, where Exotics are now just normal tames. And BM get an extra skill for each instead but I getcha I getcha.
Maybe have BM able to tame them without books.
GormanGhaste wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:43 pm
CrankyClaw wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:06 pm Yes, but there are casual hunters here that don't want any talents or tools they don't use in the game, and/or want it tuned solely to their needs.
Yes, there are all kinds of people who want things only tuned to their own needs. That's human nature.
No matter what you do, there will always be people upset. It's like the current talent trees and the DF talent trees. How often do you see people insisting a skill should just be Baseline.
If you spend your time trying to please everyone you end up pleasing nobody.

I dont use arcane or steady shot, eagle eye feels bloody useless to me. I don't think I've used wing clip once outside of specific kiting situations since anything scary is immune to it, and tar trap does the job better on an aoe.
But eh, some people like it some people have use of it. The only reason arcane and steady shot are useless to me is cos they require a ranged weapon. And removing that kind of makes aspect of the eagle kinda pointless.
I mean i'd duel wield if all my skills didn't require a 2h Just how the shitty mechanics work.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

I just want BM non-exotic pets to get exotic talents as well.
CrankyClaw

ace_of_hearth wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:59 pm I just want BM non-exotic pets to get exotic talents as well.
I'd happily trade that for letting anyone tame anything. Too many pets for stuff to be unique anymore really. As much as I'd like real rare tames again, that time has past.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

There was a change for Tenacity pets on ptr.
https://www.wowhead.com/news/defensive- ... rgy-328193
Key things to note.
Tenacity Pets no longer have Survival of the Fittest.
Tenacity Pets have a new ability, Fortitude of the Bear. This grants you and your pet +20% maximum HP for a duration.
Command Pet interactions will probably be a bit broken in the next build, as well as Lone Wolf giving access to Survival of the Fittest as opposed to Fortitude of the Bear. These will be resolved in a future build.
Survival of the Fittest is now in the class tree.
One one hand, cool Defensives for everyone.
On the other hand. This is probably a nerf for tenacity pets.
If your pet dies in 5 hits, dying in 6 isn't gonna save the day.

25% hp and 25% dr
Then we can talk. But then 20% hp is nothing compared to a free 10% leech ontop of other leech things.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Agreed. The tenacity change felt entirely pointless, like a nerf for the sake of nerfing something rather than a reasonable balance change. There is nothing gained from this at all.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Predatory Thirst should be a baseline pet skill regardless of its family. Give Ferocity avoidance and let all pets, whether they are Ferocity, Tenacity or Cunning have Predatory Thirst. Don't @me and fight me irl.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

I can’t keep being a hunter when I’m only able to use a ferocity pet to feel powerful, if I can’t have fun with hunter pets, I’ll have no point playing hunter, they added billions of potential looks to tame and then I can only use 10% of what is to offer, for SL I was very hyped to run around with the pets I was very excited to tame but ended up leaving them in the stable most of the expansion, and I see blizzard trying to not listen to feedback and make hunter pets worse by the expansion
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I mean why don't we just drop the whole idea of pet balance if it's going to be like this.
Have tank pets do 25% less damage and take 50% less damage, also heal for 50% more.
If you wana make them be for a certain gimmick (tanking) Then make them tanks. Stop trying to pussy food around the idea.
Ferocity are attackers, give them all a dps bleed on crits, or special usage. +10% damage take 25% more damage
Cunning are mixed. Mainly used exclusively for pvp. Buff masters call, Give them a CC removal ability or passive speed boost so they don't just get kited round the pillar the entire match. Neutral stats.

-----------------------
But yer
Ace is completely right. Predatory thirst is what makes this whole argument about pet balance an issue. Give it to all pets.
If i'm thinking of an actual skill.
Ferocity pet's are supposed to be the big aggressive pet's avoidance doesn't really make sense for them. That's still more of a tanky thing plus all pets take massively reduced aoe damage anyway, you can sit your dog in an acid pool and it won't even make there hp pool twitch.
Down side is, what can you honestly give it that isn't just numbers.

-----------
Also Agree with Worg.
I love my Chicken (My display pic) But, I've been using him since legion. I wana try something new. And frankly, all the cool pets I wana try are Cunning or exotic.
I miss my raptor. I miss My Triceratops.
Holy crap I just got massively depressed. I used to praise wow for having the best pet system.
I think i'd rather they just give us mandatory cat's or wolves like some other crappy mmo's so I can stop clinging to this spec.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Watch, some cruel dev will see Ace's comment, and be like "Hey, Ferocity has this useful ability while the other two are irrevocably bad. We should remove Predatory Thirst altogether!"

The problem, solution, and problem are evident; need balance, want homogenization, get homogenization. Giving Predatory Thirst to every pet is a good move in many regards (put it on the class tree in place of a talent nobody with a functioning brain will pick) since that fixes the problem of only having like ten pets that are worth using. The problem that arises from that is the fact that it leads to homogenization, which people apparently think is bad. I'm of a mind that every class should have an Execute-styled ability, which many classes have access to (including Hunter if the talent for kill command is taken), but I'm told that it just leads to homogenization. WHO CARES? It's a utility skill, and my objectively winning argument is that anyone can stab you in the face if they pick up a knife. A bit of a brutal argument, but an argument that can't be countered without moving the goal post. This now applies to hunter pets; while we're not giving pets an execute, we are giving pets that don't have worthwhile utility something that makes them finally have worthwhile utility.

But hey. I'll just default to my clefthoof (I like using my clefthoof, for the record) like daddy Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard wants BM to do. Of course, I'll gladly take a VERY minor yet VERY welcomed dose of homogenization, as long as it's not removing a good thing like they did to tenacity pets.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Homogenize the fuck out of pets.
If that's what it takes to get them to let me use pets I want to use then Do it.
Homogenize them so every one does exactly the same damage with exactly the same skills, and exactly the same specials.

And just give them the most bare bones tree you can imagine.
Pick a Starting trait, Ferocity/cunning/tenacity. Hell pick all 3 if you wana spend the points.
And just have stuff like, flat number increases Damage/speed/defense.
You don't even have to be unique or special with the moves. People care about classes, people aren't that bothered if the pet tree is something like +5% damage Sprinkle in some grevious wound and slow skills here and there.

The person who said a while back about turtles not using grevious wound clearly never met an snapping turtle. Those things would mangle you.

Then to make BM special. Give them a bonus 10 points to spend.

Note that straight up removing the leech effect would make would remove the need for ferocity pets all together kek.
just set up a macro, cast lust target pet abandon, summon defensive pet.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

A way to make pets homogenise and unique simultaneously is giving us the ability to respec our pets and give them a talent tree that would allow choosing the pets' family abilities. In WOTLK, we had a pet talent tree, right? And let BM hunter be able to spec into exotic talent in the pet tree. The talent tree could be the same across all pets, and they would also have baseline skills, the same as they do now. I want my boar to have mortal would again, and maybe it could be its 'exotic talent".

I strongly believe Blood of Rhino should be baseline and give Clefthooves something like summoning a bird that could heal it or remove immobility. In Northrend, Rhinos have critters landing on them, and I think it would be neat if Clefthooves, Crocolisk, and Oxen got this ability.

For example, these would be the exotic talent for Cats, Serpents and Boars
Boar: Wild Charge, 10-yard range, dash to the target at 50% speed, inflicting Mortal Wound on the target.
Cat: Pounce, 10-yard range, pounce on the target and inflict Mortal Wound on the target.
Serpent; Serpent Lunge; it's the same as Cats.

For Toads, give them Tounge Lash, an exotic skill the same as Blood Beast, and for Blood, Beast give them Blood Beast; 3% heal to itself for every kill.

For Wasps, Gorilla, Monkeys, Carrion Birds, Wolves, Raptors and Hounds, something called Pack Tactic or Men's Best Friend; Increases their speed by 5% and healing received by 10% and for every party member, increases its speed by additional 5%, stack by five times.

For Windserpets, and Dragonhawks, give them either an elemental shield like Corehound or AAOE like either Worm or Chimaera.

Turtles can share Carapid's exotic ability.
Last edited by ace_of_hearth on Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Hell nah bro, give the rhino's there old knockback. You know how much fun it was to just tackle a bitch off the lumbermill?

I doubt this forum has enough members to get a decent petition going or something. To get blizzard to at least consider returning choosable pet specs. But I figure there has to be a few comunity council members. (edited out a section since I didn't want it to seem like using a persons standing for gain)
Not like we're asking for huge earth shattering stuff. Doesn't even change dps or anything like that so it's a harmless change.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

DannyGreen wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:10 pm Hell nah bro, give the rhino's there old knockback. You know how much fun it was to just tackle a bitch off the lumbermill?

I doubt this forum has enough members to get a decent petition going or something. To get blizzard to at least consider returning choosable pet specs. But I figure there has to be a few comunity council members. And Wain clearly has SOME sort of pull that they won't just take him for a shitposter.

Not like we're asking for huge earth shattering stuff. Doesn't even change dps or anything like that so it's a harmless change.
As much as I would love that, it would make Rhino a MUST HAVE for some BGs, which would go against what we want for making all pets viable. I'm still salty that we have to choose between Explosive Trap and Intimidation. Intimidation is A MUST for BM hunters regardless of the content, but Explosive Trap is just too valuable for PVP.

But if all pets can knock back, that would be so awesome.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

True true, I guess giving them a alternate version of the devilsaur's feast. Imagine it like the zanadalari regeneration racial. But call it Graze.