Dragonflight is the perfect time for Tamable DRAGONKIN pets for hunters

Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Re: Dragonflight is the perfect time for Tamable DRAGONKIN pets for hunters

Unread post by Bambu »

Okay, what if a dragon tames us and it functions exactly the same as a pet gameplay but in-setting they're bossing us around?

Idk about you all, but I'm DEFINITELY dumb enough to be tamed by a dragon.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Tsukina wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:40 am
You mean a "drakeadon" of the blue flight, of the red flight, etc?
Yup! Drakeadon model, but colours that match other flights. We currently just have a chromatic one, which was created as part of Nefarian's experiments to create a chromatic flight. But it's conceivable that colours corresponding to other flights existed in Neltharion/Deathwing's earlier experiments - seeing that they've decided he was already performing experiments on the Dragon Isles even before he became Deathwing.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Bambu wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:50 am Okay, what if a dragon tames us and it functions exactly the same as a pet gameplay but in-setting they're bossing us around?

Idk about you all, but I'm DEFINITELY dumb enough to be tamed by a dragon.
:lol:
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Wain wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:33 pm We've had this debate so many times now that I decided to stay out of it this time. I disagree that regular, sentient drakes should ever be tameable (beastly, or animal-like dragonkin are fine), and I'm afraid that nothing I've read has convinced me otherwise.

What made me decide to post is that I want to say that while I'm not in support of dragons being tameable, I hope we see a revamp of the "drakeadon" model in this expansion, with more colours. The dragon isles would be the perfect place for it. The original appeared in BWL as a chromatic version that was the result of Nefarian's experiments into creating a chromatic dragonflight. The theme of Dragonflight reveals that dragon experimentation was carried out by Nefarian's father, Deathwing, at a much earlier time point and it's perfectly feasible that non-chromatic versions of the drakeadon existed on the Dragon Isles. Cross fingers :)
As I said earlier - I'd be in favor if they make it so we have a quest of some sort where we learn to befriend dragons, not tame them.

Like, gameplay wise, they act as pets, but lore wise, they act like our dragonriding dragon - they're dragon companions who help us as equals.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

Do you know what would be cool? If we can fight sight by sight with our customisable Dragonriding mount!
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

Maizou wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:54 am
Wain wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:33 pm We've had this debate so many times now that I decided to stay out of it this time. I disagree that regular, sentient drakes should ever be tameable (beastly, or animal-like dragonkin are fine), and I'm afraid that nothing I've read has convinced me otherwise.

What made me decide to post is that I want to say that while I'm not in support of dragons being tameable, I hope we see a revamp of the "drakeadon" model in this expansion, with more colours. The dragon isles would be the perfect place for it. The original appeared in BWL as a chromatic version that was the result of Nefarian's experiments into creating a chromatic dragonflight. The theme of Dragonflight reveals that dragon experimentation was carried out by Nefarian's father, Deathwing, at a much earlier time point and it's perfectly feasible that non-chromatic versions of the drakeadon existed on the Dragon Isles. Cross fingers :)
As I said earlier - I'd be in favor if they make it so we have a quest of some sort where we learn to befriend dragons, not tame them.

Like, gameplay wise, they act as pets, but lore wise, they act like our dragonriding dragon - they're dragon companions who help us as equals.
Yeah, kind of like that sentient mechanostrider. You get dialogue from the dragon like "I will go with you, hunter" or maybe a dragon will request something before it goes with you, like a mini quest. "Mission: A <Dragon Name> Partnership" and you go out and collect something, and if the dragon was hostile it is now allied and waiting for your return.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

I'm kind of in the opposite boat.

I actually think everything being a smart dragon is a bad thing. Nomatter how you fluff it, how you try and work around it bla bla. Whenever you dismiss it, it's still going to sit in the stable with a bunch of pigs and bugs.
Same with all the dragon mounts and sentient creatures who clearly don't want to be stuck in your pocket dimension backpack. Only to be summoned when you need to move 30 yards faster. Forcing a story being it to make you feel better is all well and good but in gameplay they are still getting forced to attack a chicken critter because im bored.

Just say some dragons are dumb and be over with it. I mean look at all the weird dragon things in the world already that aren't smart. Including all the dragon skins on the new critters.

As far as I'm concerned let me be a dragonmaw orc and just beat a dragon into submission. Not every story has to be all friendly friends respect etc. Sometimes you gotta break in a beast to show it who's boss.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

DannyGreen wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:36 pm I'm kind of in the opposite boat.

I actually think everything being a smart dragon is a bad thing. Nomatter how you fluff it, how you try and work around it bla bla. Whenever you dismiss it, it's still going to sit in the stable with a bunch of pigs and bugs.
Same with all the dragon mounts and sentient creatures who clearly don't want to be stuck in your pocket dimension backpack. Only to be summoned when you need to move 30 yards faster. Forcing a story being it to make you feel better is all well and good but in gameplay they are still getting forced to attack a chicken critter because im bored.

Just say some dragons are dumb and be over with it. I mean look at all the weird dragon things in the world already that aren't smart. Including all the dragon skins on the new critters.

As far as I'm concerned let me be a dragonmaw orc and just beat a dragon into submission. Not every story has to be all friendly friends respect etc. Sometimes you gotta break in a beast to show it who's boss.
Calm down. Just don't tame dragonkins if we can tame them. :D :geek: ;)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Er, no, it's highly unlikely there'll be mechanics involving actual abuse.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Wain wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:49 am Er, no, it's highly unlikely there'll be mechanics involving actual abuse.
Abuse is a harsh word.
I was thinking more like the MOP rares, where you get them down to low health so they lose there untameable buff.
Or when the warriors quest hall mount just decks them in the face.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

DannyGreen wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:50 am
Wain wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:49 am Er, no, it's highly unlikely there'll be mechanics involving actual abuse.
Abuse is a harsh word.
I was thinking more like the MOP rares, where you get them down to low health so they lose there untameable buff.
Or when the warriors quest hall mount just decks them in the face.
That isn't a good idea. A better idea is just let us tame Dragonkin.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Meh, I kinda liked the challenge tames. But is what it is. If it means I can just grab a pet protodrake without having to think about them being weird sentient manslaves in a box I'm game.

Kinda why I'm not a fan of certain humanoid pokemon. Feels weird bro.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

DannyGreen wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:07 pm Meh, I kinda liked the challenge tames. But is what it is. If it means I can just grab a pet protodrake without having to think about them being weird sentient manslaves in a box I'm game.

Kinda why I'm not a fan of certain humanoid pokemon. Feels weird bro.
cool we are not talking about humanoid pokemon and also we have dragon pokemons. Just don't tame any pet dragonkin if we can so you can be a clear conscience.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Was talking more the sentience thing, which was discussed a bit in the thread. I guess it comes down to a persons personal take on how you want to view the creature. Since we can already tame plenty of smart critters in wow, but we've gone over this in the thread i'm pretty sure.
But it's cool I can just pretend my dragon's just a really big dumb gecko that grew wings from magic.
Maybe like, the weird flesh craft crap from SL. ZOMBIE DRAGONS!
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Most likely they will be tenacity anyways. Thanks blizz.
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

PorrasouxRex wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:10 pm Most likely they will be tenacity anyways. Thanks blizz.
If they are going for the 'sentient' angle, they would be cunning T T.
CrankyClaw

Unread post by CrankyClaw »

What I would like to see are dragon pets that are more like whelplings. Think of something a bit more grown than the whelpling battle pets, but not as big a protodrakes, etc. (I personally can't stand big flappy pets or extremely long ones).

If whelplings can be battle pets, we should be able to have a more slightly grown version of those as a regular hunting pet.

And no, I don't buy the sentient argument if we have whelplings as battle pets. :ugeek:
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Seeing as how we can have dragons of various shapes, it would be fun to have a variety of young dragons that grow with us through battle. Just imagine; you tame a young whelp that has a similar body plan to that of a scalehide, being that it's got a bulky body and drags itself along (or gallops, if you prefer the DF thunder lizard gait). Or, if you want a more vicious companion, you get a whelp that has grown its non-wing limbs out and prefers to be a swift runner, resembling a raptor in shape. Dragonflight shows us that dragons aren't limited to noodles, flying brainlet T.rexes, and European interpretations. We have a wyvern dragon and a pterrordax dragon, so why not just go nuts and be creative? I'd use a raptor-shaped dragon as a pet.

Also, seconding Cranky on the sentience thing. We can tame sentient AND sapient beasts, so having a young dragon that's in between those would not hurt. Just limit the black dragonflight looks behind some achievement or rep reward, since they've got a severe case of nearly going extinct.
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

We have Chromaggus and Chimaeron being originally dragonkin or dragonkin look alike, and I remember certain proto drakes being labeled as beasts?

ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I AM SO HYPED OMG BLIZZ PULLED THE RIPCORD!!!