It doesn't matter how many cool pets we will be able to or could tame

ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

It doesn't matter how many cool pets we will be able to or could tame

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

As long as we can't respec our pets into either Ferocity, or Tenacity, or Cunning, we would mostly not use our favourite looks in the content we like most do.
Pokcmvmxckm
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sen'jin NA

Re: It doesn't matter how many cool pets we will be able to or could tame

Unread post by Pokcmvmxckm »

I always use my favorite pets for my Animal Companion, for my main pets I take the ones I like of the "Meta" families, Spirit Beast for Raiding, Clefthoof for Solo, Devilsuar for Pvp, a Cunning for running fast, ect. I would like to be able to respec my pets but as long as family abilities exist I don't see much point. Clefthooves are hands down the best pets for Soloing, Blood of the Rhino and Predator's thirst makes them borderline unkillable in world content when you get good gear, I have 263 Ilevel and I can solo Zereth Mortis Rare Elites without my Clefthoof ever dropping below half health. Even if I could respec I would still use my Clefthoof as Ferocity for soloing because of this.

I can't speak for Survival as I don't like Melee, and last time I played Marksman Lone Wolf was the best way to play, I don't know if it still is but pet discussion for MM feels moot.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

At this point I'm still hopeful.

I haven't heard *anything*, but at least we know we've been heard, and I'm remaining positive. They haven't really touched pet families yet, and may not for some time (or they may next build, who knows? :D)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
CrankyClaw

Unread post by CrankyClaw »

Respeccing alone doesn't fix it. Clefthooves will still be the correct choice for solo content, unless they make Blood of the Rhino a baseline BM ability, or at least give it to a few more families.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

CrankyClaw wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:58 am Respeccing alone doesn't fix it. Clefthooves will still be the correct choice for solo content, unless they make Blood of the Rhino a baseline BM ability, or at least give it to a few more families.
I have an idea to give a choice node at the "animal companion" node, named "The Charging Behemoth" or something. Your pet's critical damage is increased by 3% for each enemy within 10yards stacks up to 10 times, and your pet learns the "Blood of Rhino" talent. If your pet already knows the talent. it will learn "trample".
bepples

Unread post by bepples »

CrankyClaw wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:58 am Respeccing alone doesn't fix it. Clefthooves will still be the correct choice for solo content, unless they make Blood of the Rhino a baseline BM ability, or at least give it to a few more families.
Solo content is easy enough for this to really not matter.
skillshott
Realm: magtheridon

Unread post by skillshott »

This is a problem with your plays style. Pets are meant to be tools used for specific scenarios, if you only play solo content you cant get mad that you only ever used pets made for solo content. Maybe you should take the fact that you have only used a cleft hoof a sign that you should try other parts of the game. Or just use what ever pet you want regardless, outside of m+ and arena most people aren't going to care what pet you use.
Xaosdemon
Realm: EU

Unread post by Xaosdemon »

Have you seen the new Clefthooves though? Look pretty sweet.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Xaosdemon wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:06 pm Have you seen the new Clefthooves though? Look pretty sweet.
The Rhino with tiny feet? And why would my Zandalari Hunter or my Elven Hunter or my Undead Hunter want to use it?
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

I think the rhinos are cool except for the fact they’re legs are tiny, in wotlk rhinos it was barely noticeable because of fur, in real life, rhino legs are a bit stubby and small compared to the body, but not thin
bepples

Unread post by bepples »

While I do agree that you should be able to respec pets, with the damage normalised it usually really doesn't matter what pet you take. The only exception is requiring Ferocity when you're the only Bloodlust in the group and I don't think that's too bad.
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

bepples wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:50 pm While I do agree that you should be able to respec pets, with the damage normalised it usually really doesn't matter what pet you take. The only exception is requiring Ferocity when you're the only Bloodlust in the group and I don't think that's too bad.
Having self-heal either from ferocity leech or SB heal matter in pve. Being able to move fast, slowing down or causing mortal wound, and freeing yourself from cc matters esp in PVP. Pet skills matter.
bepples

Unread post by bepples »

ace_of_hearth wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:53 pm Having self-heal either from ferocity leech or SB heal matter in pve. Being able to move fast, slowing down or causing mortal wound, and freeing yourself from cc matters esp in PVP. Pet skills matter.
I said "usually doesn't matter". For most of the content people do, especially on this forum, it doesn't. People are here acting like they can't do world quests with a tenacity pet.

TBH even in raiding it doesn't matter too much. I've taken Cunning pets to some mythic fights where I want to be able to move my pet to places easier. It's certainly helpful to have the best option for a fight but it's not like you're competitively screwed if you pick a less optimal option. Before BFA we had Spiked Collar for Ferocity pets which gave them massively more damage meaning you really didn't have much of a choice.

That's not to say they shouldn't let us change pet specs. They should. But you can in fact bring Tenacity/Cunning to world quests if you want. The current pet system gives us far more freedom of choice than anything pre-BFA.
CrankyClaw

ace_of_hearth wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:53 pm Having self-heal either from ferocity leech or SB heal matter in pve. Being able to move fast, slowing down or causing mortal wound, and freeing yourself from cc matters esp in PVP. Pet skills matter.
Also with the talent changes, things are more event.

Yesterday on beta I was killing the lvl 70 spawned beasts from the skinning traps with.. an rhino.. then a cat, then a dog.. I really didn't notice any difference.

Unless you're doing cutting edge stuff, it doesn't matter really.

That said, yes, I'd like the ability to change my pet skills, but as Bepples said, 95% of us here aren't doing anything extreme. It's not the end of the world.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

CrankyClaw wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:47 pm

Yesterday on beta I was killing the lvl 70 spawned beasts from the skinning traps with.. an rhino.. then a cat, then a dog.. I really didn't notice any difference.

That said, yes, I'd like the ability to change my pet skills, but as Bepples said, 95% of us here aren't doing anything extreme. It's not the end of the world.
Yeah, the dps is the same on all pets, it’s just with ferocity, depends on the pet too, may not need mend pet, and your health will stay up higher and exhilaration won’t be needed as often with a ferocity pet
skillshott

ace_of_hearth wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:03 am As long as we can't respec our pets into either Ferocity, or Tenacity, or Cunning, we would mostly not use our favourite looks in the content we like most do.
Thats on you though. You do not need to be able to respec your raptor to do world content guys mend pet exist and its not that deep to press it every so often, or just use one of the other 40 ferocity pet species. I go through a phases of having green transmogs so you know what I do, I pull out my zandalria bear form scale hide and do all my solo content with that and have basically had no issues or a night saber when i have a black transmog.

This whole respecing thing makes no sense to me becuase if you are an efficient higher level player you will probably have a lot of opportunities to use your favourite pet becuase higher level content requires different tools that the pets offer, therefore you would have no need to respec. Conversely if you are a lower level player the content you do isnt challenging enough for you to be efficient so you can get away with doing that content with sub optimal pets.
skillshott

CrankyClaw wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:47 pm

The thing is even if you are doing stuff thats "extreme" you will actually end up using all different types of pets anyway. When I was doing high end pve I would regularly get into situations where I needed a cunning or a ferocity pet for all sorts of reasons, so even then I never felt like i didnt get to use any of my favourite looks.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

I HAVE AWOKEN AND IM ABOUT TO MAKE THAT EVERYBODY ELSES PROBLEM!
And by that ya boy's gonna go on his usual long winded rambles.

Aight so.
Is it possible to do all content with a pig?
Yes, but it's also possible to play Fury warrior wielding a dagger and an int staff. YOU CAN DO IT! But you're just making things harder for yaself. Speaking from experience, I have done all the flawless torghast floors and the jailers gauntlet max rank as a SV (no reward for doin the final floor btw, not worth it) With a Crocodile a Terrorbird and once with a pig to see how big it would get.The only way that the gauntlet was possible. Is to cheese with a certain combo of a turtle+FD aspect reset. To give yo a perma invincibility effect.
Before you get that, your pet is made of paper. Even with the leech, defensive, it's paper the second a big enough swarm hits them. And when it comes to content like speed running torghast, 5 mask visions etc. You need to be able to kill more than 1-2 enemies at a time.

The leech alone is practically mandatory for accidents or just aoe ticks. You need something to just top you off outside of a large CD. Which means allot when you are in everything's face. Because the second you do enough damage to grab aggro from the single mob your pet has taunt on, you now have to soak that damage. It's much easier as ranged, because you can just kite them a bit while you tab macro your pet. Misdirect has a CD, taunt is single target. There's no thunderstomp or Beast cleave for SV/MM, you're much more likely to survive with cleave leech damage and big dick dps from the hunter than the Tenacity CD.
Or just FD/PD and hope your pet doesn't die and you are not in a awkward spot.

When it comes to group pvp/pve Yer none of this shit matters. Your clefthoof doesn't need more healing, it's just a furry dot On the target. 90% Of important pve content doesn't even get effected by most pet effects, your pet is very rarely if ever going to die. Only thing you really need is when you start to pull shit like eotb group pulls or lust in dungeon groups. As for pvp content it's just the healing debuff if you're missing a mortal.

If we're talking basic overworld content? No it clearly doesn't matter which pet you use. I'm not even counting the Clefthooves in this, which have the advantage. Because it always comes down to clefthooves, we all know clefthooves in the current live version are the best tank pets. That's not up for debate anymore.
Pick what you like, Ferocity leech, just makes life easier.

If we're talking basic auto attack on a target dummy, you can do just as much damage with a turtle as with a devilsaur. It's fine.

But wouldn't it be more fun if you could choose what pet you want to have with you at all times?
I can say right now. I'd much rather be duel wielding as a SV. But do I NEED to? No. Cosmetically it would be nice to not be restricted to a specific style.
Like skirts on a caster, or daggers on a rogue.
You can easily say, there are lots of colorfull skirts and daggers that you like. But at the end of the day. Still skirts and daggers.
It's all about cosmetics. Because at end game of warcraft. What's the game really about?

Grinding shit and looking cooler than your friends doing it.
CrankyClaw

skillshott wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:46 pm The thing is even if you are doing stuff thats "extreme" you will actually end up using all different types of pets anyway. When I was doing high end pve I would regularly get into situations where I needed a cunning or a ferocity pet for all sorts of reasons, so even then I never felt like i didnt get to use any of my favourite looks.
Yeah. But I also don't just want to see the Clefthoof nerfed, without fixing the core problem.

I personally use a Cunning pet a lot for the movement speed, as that's one of the best damage reductions you can do.. :D