Faultline - arguably sturdiest, best soloing pet. Are there any others as good?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
jensketch
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormrage

Faultline - arguably sturdiest, best soloing pet. Are there any others as good?

Unread post by jensketch »

Is it just all Celfthooves that have that special ability for extra healing AND damage reduction or just him?

Also, WHY on just gigantic pets? :/

I know Scalehides are also very tanky and survivable...

Just wondering if anyone knows of any other pet since Dragonflight has released that might be as tanky.

I find it rather unfortunate that Tenacity pets aren't very tanky at all -- and Cunning is saved for 5 man/raiding content only (if there is another Heroism class there)

I am finding that my Cunning pets are my favorite to have out, and I wish they would be capable tanks for solo content without having to spam Mend Pet.

Along that vein, can Mend Pet be macro'd into any other abilities? I know I am asking a lot of questions but really just ruminating on the nature of being an outdoor solo player for the most part. I love being able to solo rares and not having to wait for a group or another person. It is why I play Hunter. Plus, the cute pets.

Anyone seen the adorable pink Floral Followvine porcupine? My current favorite pastel pet -- Until renown 23 that is!
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Re: Faultline - arguably sturdiest, best soloing pet. Are there any others as good?

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Clefthooves for Beast Mastery and Scalehides for Marksman and Survival are the only options for god-tier tanks. They are the only two pet types that are both ferocity and have a strong defensive cooldown on a short cooldown timer. Clefthooves are by far the strongest however, as you've noted that they gain extra healing. Good alternatives can be found on the Pet Family Abilities guide, mainly under the first category of defense and the last category of triggered defense. Dodge pets are the next best, though dodge isn't a "get out of jail free" card like the defense and triggered defense pets. Likewise, keep in mind that Ferocity pets have leech, which makes them FAR tankier than Tenacity and Cunning. Without the leech, they're on par with the other specs. If you want the absolute best, you have to go with Clefthoof or Scalehide. If you're fine dropping down a notch while still being tanky, then your options include (but are not limited to) mechanicals, turtles, gruffhorns, and bears.

Tenacity and Cunning fall super flat when compared to Ferocity, but it's not like they're entirely useless. Stone Hounds have an instant res button, so they're essentially tanky in that you can get it back to life without channeling revive pet once every few minutes. Spirit Beasts' ability lets them heal, and can be macroed to Mend Pet if you want to make a simple macro to target the pet with its own heal. Carapids just straight up have damage reduction based on their health which scales with your gear, allowing them to be tankier as you get better geared just like normal tanks would. It's kind of unfair to compare clefthoof and scalehide power to other pets, because they're simply leagues stronger in every aspect. If you can handle losing some efficiency, then using any pet should be a nonissue. It's easy to fall into the pattern of using only the best, as I'm sure everyone can attest to, but you gotta beat that urge yourself. Use the pets you want; you CAN do most outdoor solo content with any pet, even if they're useless in most aspects. The baby mammoths are tenacity, but they tank just fine, despite their special ability just being a slow effect. Ottuks are cunning and tank just fine, despite their ability being a mortal wounds effect. This is coming from someone who is often impatient and does things at his own pace, since I've used FotM pets all week and last week despite their lack of being the best. I'm always defaulting to my clefthoof and scalehide of course, but I've had zero issues outside of tanking the "super rares" (the 2m health enemies that hit like trucks) with any pet of any spec. Fight the urge and use what you want. Just be attentive to your pet's health and mend on cooldown if it looks dicey.