Addition to the Forum Rules?

Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Addition to the Forum Rules?

Unread post by Silivren »

This is just an idea that popped in my head. Due to recent events and past events I believe this would be a good addition.

Do NOT under any circumstances post artwork/stories/ideas and claim them as your own when they are not. You wouldnt do that in real life and CR are up for a reason. If you do this knowingly you may be suspended or banned from the forums.

The reasoning for this would be bad publicity, if we harbor or do not punish those who do such things then the artist comes here themselves oftentimes angry. I'm not saying they havent been punished in the past but it isnt a clear forum rule and I believe it should be added.

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Re: Addition to the Forum Rules?

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Sounds good, but.. if "CR" stands for copyright, I'd avoid wording it that way in the forum rules. Use the symbol, or the full word. No abbreviation.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Aye I couldnt figure out how to type the symbol on my computer xD

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I concur with this. This seems to have become a bad habit.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Nili
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Khadgar EU

Unread post by Nili »

I agree with this. 100%

Thanks to Zhuge for the pretty siggy and avatarz
Nili's cavez Wishlist: Nilia Pgymy.CB Thunder. CB Daydream.
realm: 179 (hunter: 10)

Gumballs
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Gumballs »

I agree with this. I also think it should including signatures - I've seen a few sigs with artwork or images that I'm sure we're not created by the person using them. As an artist who is currently attending art school I'm definitely not a fan of using artwork without the artists permission, and DEFINITELY not a fan of claiming artwork as your own if it is not.
Rejoined the hunt after a lengthy break... feels good!
Nili
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Nili »

Gumballs wrote:I agree with this. I also think it should including signatures - I've seen a few sigs with artwork or images that I'm sure we're not created by the person using them. As an artist who is currently attending art school I'm definitely not a fan of using artwork without the artists permission, and DEFINITELY not a fan of claiming artwork as your own if it is not.
Then by this logic I couldn't use graphic designs I made?
or

That would just made me very sad. Like, I know I don't own the photos, but nor am I claiming the photography as part of my own work, but it does take effort to merge them together and make them seamless. I do claim them as my work, because I wouldn't know how else to categorize it.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Nili wrote:
Gumballs wrote:I agree with this. I also think it should including signatures - I've seen a few sigs with artwork or images that I'm sure we're not created by the person using them. As an artist who is currently attending art school I'm definitely not a fan of using artwork without the artists permission, and DEFINITELY not a fan of claiming artwork as your own if it is not.
Then by this logic I couldn't use graphic designs I made?
or

That would just made me very sad. Like, I know I don't own the photos, but nor am I claiming the photography as part of my own work, but it does take effort to merge them together and make them seamless. I do claim them as my work, because I wouldn't know how else to categorize it.
Technicly any sigs with WoW models could be called theft if you want to be very very very picky as you did'nt make the models nor ask for permistion from bliz. You going to ban everyone from useing thos? :lol: I'm joking BTW to those non joke people.
Chakori
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Chakori »

Thats kinda silly and confusing for some.
Signatures mean really nothing on here you can go onto any signature making site and it will use most of the images from Google without asking the creator, most signatures on here don't claim images as theirs they merely put the text on the image or cropped it.
I know/seen a few that are from a signature maker website before so yeah :c
Alot of Signatures no matter the natuare would have something from say Google Images so that would rule out about over half the forum signatures.
I think as long as you DO NOT claim it to be your work it would be ok.
But I'm for not post images/stories that you didn't not create and if you did post the source and the orignal name/poster/creator with it.

I do not fully know the pass events on the art issue I just remember one or two from awhile back since I mainly view general topics now along with transmogs ... And PM people D:

Nili
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Nili »

^ What Chakori says.

I'm fine with signatures and stuff like that.
I'm not fine with individual threads saying stuff ''Look at my fan art, more to come later'', in my opinion that should deserve some harsh punishment. I wouldn't dream of posting art from deviantart or tumbler on any forum and claiming it as my own. I can't even fathom why someone would do that aside from fishing for compliments and yearning for attention. If you want attention, let your personality shine through in your posts, don't put on a farce. :S

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

and 99% of sigs here use WoW models :lol: I'm pretty sure Blizz has not given any of you the rights to use them :P Most peoples sigs would be pretty barren if you banned those.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

By that logic, your avatar is also stealing. :P You didn't draw it.

I think you're going waaaaay overboard with that. This rule we want is just to stop people from posting artwork and saying "Hey this is mine!" when its not. Signatures and Avatars are different as in itself is an art. It's graphic designing.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Gumballs
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Gumballs »

You need a new definition of graphic design. Once again, I am going to school for ART and GRAPHIC DESIGN, and using other peoples images in your work is not a component of either in a proffessional sense.

I simply think that of you use an artists work you should credit the source. If you go on Deviantart and find an image to use in a sig, credit the artist who did it and let them know you are using it. It's a common curtesy.

I apologize that my initial post was misunderstood, as I simply mean if you use a piece of art that someone else drew, if possible, credit the source. It was early in the morning and I'm not good with my
Phrasing sometimes xD

I also agree that people claiming art as their own when it is not should be punished. Art theft is a serious issue. It's not cool :C
Rejoined the hunt after a lengthy break... feels good!
Chakori
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Chakori »

Gumballs we still love you :D
Thats why I said confusing :c It is hard to source somethings like say if I messssageeeeeeeed erm D: Nilli about her sigs background (only one i could see with a BG at the time no aiming it at you nilli ... your just ... sig... D:)
Anyways if I asked her where the BG image was from Im sure I would get a reply like oh from google lost the link just google deepholm ... I think if people reply like that its ok they ain't claiming it but say I got a reply like 'Oh yeah took me ages on photoshop' thats a no no and should be punished!

Againt o make it clear nilli not saying your stealing! Just making a clear example since at the time your sig has a bg image :D
I love you and your belf~ness

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Gumballs wrote:You need a new definition of graphic design. Once again, I am going to school for ART and GRAPHIC DESIGN, and using other peoples images in your work is not a component of either in a proffessional sense.

I simply think that of you use an artists work you should credit the source. If you go on Deviantart and find an image to use in a sig, credit the artist who did it and let them know you are using it. It's a common curtesy.

I apologize that my initial post was misunderstood, as I simply mean if you use a piece of art that someone else drew, if possible, credit the source. It was early in the morning and I'm not good with my
Phrasing sometimes xD

I also agree that people claiming art as their own when it is not should be punished. Art theft is a serious issue. It's not cool :C
You going to credit the person who made your avatar? :lol:

(that was a joke BTW but really if you are saying that others should credit the artests who made their sigs and avatars I think you should of done it first before saying it. It just makes the comment more powerfull ya know? :P)

EDIT: again I could care less so don't get angry at me :lol:
Chakori
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Chakori »

AMG COWMU THAT WAS TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR!
ADSSADGHSJAHDUHFJSNAMDARAGE!

Ha I can be funny to right? :c

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Chakori wrote:AMG COWMU THAT WAS TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR!
ADSSADGHSJAHDUHFJSNAMDARAGE!

Ha I can be funny to right? :c
No get out! :lol: JK of course you can!
Chakori
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Chakori »

*shares cheesecake*
Yey for someone having common sence and humor <3

Oh wait its cowmu ... shes always awesome QAQ

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

I like cake.

But on topic Art theft's bad! Useing someones art as a refercne is good you just need to give credit where credits due.
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

You would think this is self-explanatory and didn't need a rule though. I mean, that's good common sense rule number one: If it ain't yours, don't claim credit for it...:\

But if people out there are...immature and idiotic enough to be told by forum rules that they can't steal art even though it's sort of common sense, then ah well. I don't know. I guess I overestimate people.

If you're looking at it a sheer punishment perspective, I would imagine the users would get some sort of warning or something. Immediate banning or suspension seems a bit extreme.