Alternative styles/themes for the boards?

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Alternative styles/themes for the boards?

Unread post by Vephriel »

Just out of curiosity, do we have any other options when it comes to the forum's appearance style?

I have a strong preference for dark themes whenever possible for websites, and I have almost all of my regularly-visited sites on dark themes. I know we have a few alternative styles in the user preferences, but they also...drastically change the layout/look of the forum. >_< I tried the Lucid Lime for a bit but I ended up changing back because it felt too unfamiliar. It would be wonderful if there was a way we could just keep everything the same as the default look, but with darker colours.

I don't know if people still make themes for this type of forum anymore though, or if they're easy to find.

In any case, it just struck me today that these forums are my last internet tab that feels glaringly bright whenever I check them, and thought I'd poke around. :lol:
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Alternative styles/themes for the boards?

Unread post by Rawr »

I like the Lucid Lime as it is the only dark one but you are right it would be nice if it was closer to lets say the Classic site's theme/colors. :D I like the idea of the Classic green and logo with the black/grey background. :headbang:
Image Lucid Lime
Image Classic :mrgreen:

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Related : I want to switch the board to a new phpbb software version soon (phpBB 3.2.5). Since our current software is so old this will be a major upgrade that means we’ll lose all the current themes, and I need to create new themes first. Since I’m not artistically inclined I keep putting it off. Maybe we need darker themes when we do move, though.

I like the idea of moving to the darker Classic theme. We’d have to poll it though and see how other regular users react.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

As an example, existing themes for the updated board software are:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2/3.2

There are a few there that we could possibly base it on, then add Petopia-specific theming.
Vephriel

Thanks for looking into it Wain! I'm sure that'll be a lot of work to upgrade, but when you do I'd love if we could find an option similar to maybe this:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/pycode/
I find it so much easier on the eyes. :D Just as an option though of course, so people aren't forced to use it if they prefer lighter styles. :)
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Wain wrote:Related : I want to switch the board to a new phpbb software version soon (phpBB 3.2.5). Since our current software is so old this will be a major upgrade that means we’ll lose all the current themes, and I need to create new themes first. Since I’m not artistically inclined I keep putting it off. Maybe we need darker themes when we do move, though.

I like the idea of moving to the darker Classic theme. We’d have to poll it though and see how other regular users react.
Why not have a Classic Dark and a Classic Light with the Classic green and logo being the same on both so you only have to assign different colors to the background and sections? Lucid Lime has only the green for main text, white for most other texts, and 2 grays (not including background) see
An easy layout like this should be doable in a light and dark version. :mrgreen:

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Hmm, how about the pycode theme, but with a green logo and header, to allude to Petopia green?

There's also a new version of Lucid Lime that works with the new board software, but I find it maybe a little too sharp and garish. It could be modified as well, though.
Vephriel

I like the sound of that idea!

I've been using subsilver2 myself (I think that's the default appearance? It's been so long I'm not certain any more)

It may not be flashy but the simplicity has always appealed to me for ease of navigation and readability. The pycode at a glance seemed to keep that same simple layout, only with darker colours. (And I feel the same way about Lucid Lime >.<)