Phishing Emails coming because of Petopia Account signup

BorntoRide
Realm: Hellscream (US)

Phishing Emails coming because of Petopia Account signup

Unread post by BorntoRide »

I signed up for an account on Petopia and now I am getting phisping attempts because of it.

The reason I know is because I used an email thats not associated with my wow account. And recieved this a few days after signing up here.

How did they get my email from this website ? Is it an option that i overlooked somewhere ? Or is your database comprimised?

Here is the scam I got

Greetings,

An investigation of your World of Warcraft account has found strong evidence that the account in question is being sold or traded.
As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with Blizzard's EULA under section 4 Paragraph B which can be found here:
WoW -> Legal -> End User License Agreement
and Section 8 of the Terms of Use found here:
WoW -> Legal -> Terms of Use
The investigation will be continued by Blizzard administration to determine the action to be taken against your account.
If your account is found violating the EULA and Terms of Use, your account can, and will be suspended/closed/or terminated.
In order to keep this from occurring, you should immediately verify that you are the original owner of the account.
To verify your identity please visit the following webpage:

Only Account Administration will be able to assist with account retrieval issues.
Thank you for your time and attention to this matter,
and your continued interest in World of Warcraft.

Sincerely,
Account Administration
Blizzard Entertainment
Last edited by BorntoRide on Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilatha

Realm: EU-Emerald Dream

Re: Phishing Emails coming because of Petopia Account signup

Unread post by lilatha »

Maybe mail the admin about this, also hide that link someone might click it by mistake ^^'
Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

It's certainly not an "option" you can check or uncheck. I've no idea what's going on, but I've never received anything WoW related on the account I use for WoW forum subscriptions. Is it possible you've used it elsewhere?

And yes, Lilatha is right - hide the link please.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I don't get these on my adress I used for petopia.
I get these things on the adress I used in other WoW-related websites.

Did you use your adress in petopia forums only or did you use it somewhere else as well?

As far as I know, Mania is running the website and the forums on her own, private server. I think she takes any kind of possible security measure so her system wouldn't be compromised.

But then, I don't know any WoW-player, who doesn't get these f**king mails...
Raydex-of-the-dawn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Dawnbringer

Unread post by Raydex-of-the-dawn »

The same goes here - Petopia's never gotten me phished. You're positive you've used it for nothing else? Emails can be gotten so easy nowadays.

BorntoRide
Realm: Hellscream (US)

Unread post by BorntoRide »

The only other website I used this email for was MMo Champion , but that was signed up for in July , and never got this until now.

It just seems odd that I sign up for an account on 11-15 here and get this on 11-20 :?

I did find in the preferences where you can hide your email address , which I have now done.
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

BorntoRide wrote:The only other website I used this email for was MMo Champion , but that was signed up for in July , and never got this until now.

It just seems odd that I sign up for an account on 11-15 here and get this on 11-20 :?

I did find in the preferences where you can hide your email address , which I have now done.
This site is a well known site so what I think happened is they sent out some sort of bot it scanned for emails to harvest. I never used to get the email's till I started posting here. However it's the same email I used for my battle net account so this may be part of the reason. Either way I'm careful to not click anything that looks like it's from blizzard. When I got the beta invite I was not sure if it was from blizzard or not. So I logged into my account and checked to see if my account was flagged for beta and it was. The scammers are getting quite clever these days and the emails are getting harder to spot. I make it a rule to never click on any link from blizzard unless I'm able to rule out 100% that it is legit and I know how to check to make sure it is. I wont post what to look for in the public because this will just give them more Idea's on how to trick us.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I have never had a problem. I think it's coincidence. Sorry.
Sarayana

Well if he had his email address displayed that may have been how his email address got on the list. Nothing to do with the forums and Mania, except that we're clearly a WoW-oriented forum and phishers will know to look here.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I've never had a single phishing email on my address used on this forum. There could be a lot of other places to get that info from, I doubt it's directly due to Petopia.
Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

yaeh i get them all the tie on both my emails i use for wow but i only use one for this site so i doubt its because of this site.
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Unread post by Chrizesu »

I get most of my phising emails from mmochampion.

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

Sarayana

Chrizesu wrote:I get most of my phising emails from mmochampion.
I heard this is a problem with that site. One reason I don't even bother registering there.

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

I haven't had any spams or phishing expeditions to the email I used for Petopia, though the one I used when registering for the Elitist Jerk forums has been attracting a few lately.
Kynarah
Realm: Blade's Edge

Unread post by Kynarah »

After having my account hacked RIGHT after I signed up for MMO-champion, I decided to chance my account e-mail to an e-mail that is NEVER used for anything BUT wow. I use my old (but still active) e-mail for all forums and services and thats where i still get these phising e-mails, which makes it SUPER easy to tell which e-mail is official :P. I NEVER get any e-mails, except once directly generated from wow (ie: I've moved a toon, or changed payment services, etc), to my new e-mail.
If your having phishing e-mail issues, you might want to change your wow account, just incase. Those blasted hackers are a pain...
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Kynarah wrote:After having my account hacked RIGHT after I signed up for MMO-champion, I decided to chance my account e-mail to an e-mail that is NEVER used for anything BUT wow. I use my old (but still active) e-mail for all forums and services and thats where i still get these phising e-mails, which makes it SUPER easy to tell which e-mail is official :P. I NEVER get any e-mails, except once directly generated from wow (ie: I've moved a toon, or changed payment services, etc), to my new e-mail.
If your having phishing e-mail issues, you might want to change your wow account, just incase. Those blasted hackers are a pain...
*nod* I did the same thing when Battle.net came out. :) Went and created a unique email address, pretty obscure and not something that would be guessable, and it's never been posted anywhere at all. No one even knows it except for me, and I've never had a single message except from Blizzard.
Victorelle
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg (US)

Unread post by Victorelle »

all mine come from when I got beta
Murloc Chow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: US:The Scryers, EU: Steamwheedle Cartel

Unread post by Murloc Chow »

I've been posting here awhile now, and this is the only WoW related site I post using my secondary email. I recently started recieving a couple of those emails, so who knows, it is pretty specific. Do non WoW players recieve these emails? Because it gives me a funny mental image of Granny panicking about her "Account" being hacked :D

Artist: Murloc Chow, Medium: msPaint
Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Unread post by Chrizesu »

Well I do also get aion phishing messages and I've never played aoin.

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Sarayana wrote:
Chrizesu wrote:I get most of my phising emails from mmochampion.
I heard this is a problem with that site. One reason I don't even bother registering there.
Funny thing is I linked this thread to Boubouille and he never denied or confirmed this was a problem.