Lock-up on entering game world

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Darknez

Realm: Bloodhoof - EU, Hellscream - EU

Lock-up on entering game world

Unread post by Darknez »

I don't know if (but I'd expect) some of you have had the problems where you logon, choose your character and once in the game world, it freezes at a single frame. Mouse moves, but nothing else. I had this a couple of patches ago but it finally fixed itself when I just left it long enough. It's come back in the current build. According to the following forum, it appears to be affecting high level hunters:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 8476313425

Just a FYI in case you are getting as frustrated as me when I can't log in my main hunter :P
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Re: Lock-up on entering game world

Unread post by Teigan »

Never had that, but I get a weird pixellated screen of doom alot when I first log in. Just locks up. For some reason, tabbing out then back in fixes it.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

OMG!! Is that why I can't get into the PTR??? I keep coping my huntress but I get that same "freeze at the 1st frame" thing, thanks for the info :mrgreen:

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've had it happen quite a few times now. Normally around the time a new patch lands and I really want to get on and explore :P

Two things that have helped:

(i) In many cases I've been able to log on after a faction change (and then back again). It resets a lot of things, including your hearth. That worked every time except this last one. Perhaps the changes in this latest patch mean that no longer works, or perhaps it's just chance. To be able to faction change you have to wait till that option cycles around for your character (I think they change hourly or so?), you also can't be in a guild and can't have any mail. I've deliberately stayed out of guilds on my hunter for this reason.

(ii) In the latest patch I just had to leave it logged in and unresponsive until it timed out and I got logged off the server. I know this took more than an hour. In the end I left it running while I went to bed, so I can't say how long it took. I woke to find myself disconnected from the server and my hunter was active afterwards.

Oddly... I dual boot Mac OS X and Win 7 on this computer. I fixed it in my Mac client, but my hunter still freezes if I try to log in on the Windows client. It could be that whatever it needs to do during the long time out is saved client-side. It could also be that the Mac client is just behaving better at this point. Or it could, again, be chance.

I know that having your pet out or stowed away makes no difference. In the latest instance I had no active pet and it still froze up on login. Switching to minimal graphics/resolution and turning off sound all make no difference.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Thanks for the suggestions here; glad it's not just me! Will have to futz with the PTR some more. Wanted to do the faction change trick, but it failed due to my being in a guild. -_-

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Darknez

Unread post by Darknez »

I've tried faction change once, didn't work... maybe I could try it again.
I've not got the beta set up on the Mac but that might be worth a shot also.

I've tried leaving it going - usually the monitor goes off first and I come back to a black screen! :P
Kalliope

HA! I think one of the suggestions in the thread worked: take another toon to the location the stuck one is logged out and get the environment to load fully before relogging to the stuck one. Bam, worked. Course, I also tried a same faction race change too, for good measure. Woot. :)

YouTube Edition

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Kalliope wrote:HA! I think one of the suggestions in the thread worked: take another toon to the location the stuck one is logged out and get the environment to load fully before relogging to the stuck one. Bam, worked. Course, I also tried a same faction race change too, for good measure. Woot. :)
I tried loading the environment on my shammy once, but it didn't work for me. Maybe it helps for some, though.

The pain of the faction change is that it removes your FPs and that's been especially annoying for Vashj'ir. Fortunately they have the portal working for there finally.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kalliope

Wain wrote:
Kalliope wrote:HA! I think one of the suggestions in the thread worked: take another toon to the location the stuck one is logged out and get the environment to load fully before relogging to the stuck one. Bam, worked. Course, I also tried a same faction race change too, for good measure. Woot. :)
I tried loading the environment on my shammy once, but it didn't work for me. Maybe it helps for some, though.

The pain of the faction change is that it removes your FPs and that's been especially annoying for Vashj'ir. Fortunately they have the portal working for there finally.
Yeah, it didn't work for some. :/ It did work for me this one time on the PTR at least.

YouTube Edition

Chugs
Realm: Cataclysm Beta - Lost Isles

Unread post by Chugs »

It's affected me twice so far, each time after a patch. The "just leave it running" solution has worked for me both times, none of this delete your Data/Cache folder or WTF folder did squat for me. I have no idea how long the first time took as I left the house for a while, but today's attempt took around 15 minutes. I started the game, logged the frozen up hunter in and then went off and played XB360 until I heard the sound change, came back to the computer and it had the "you have been disconnected" message, then I logged in again and got right in, worked perfectly. I have two hunters, one real one that I made back in May who leveled 1-85 and one premade 85 with 333 gear. They are both Goblins, the premade is a race change, and they both have the same pet, Winna's Kitten, and the cat was out on both hunters. The real one is the one I always have trouble with, the "fake" one always works fine.
Chugs, <Beta Max>, Level 85 Goblin, BM Hunter, Lost Isles, Cataclysm F&F Alpha & Beta.
Doth777
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: US Agrammar

Unread post by Doth777 »

This has been happening to myself and many, many others for the last month+ now. Blizz is aware of it, but aside from a "Sorry for the inconvienance" post, they've said/done nothing to fix this. My hunter becomes playable occasionally, but can/will freeze up again at any given login
Aweena
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Aweena »

have had that and clearing caches and data cashes and resolving to wait it out worked for me untill i went to the stable master in deepholm and now i crash evry time i try to log with an assertion failure somthing bout pet and token sizes :o

i wanna play my hunter :cry:

If love is an illusion to hell with reality

Ikutai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Ikutai »

I did a premade 85 hunter just to see the end game as opposed to waiting to level my 80 troll hunter. My premade was a worgen. Now everytime I try to log in as it loads my character selection screen, WoW crashes. No idea how to fix it either, and I've been unable to log in for a few hours. So frustrating. >.<

"The days are short, and are too soon over. The nights, for good or bad, can seem endless." - Neil Gaiman

Signature by the illustrious Saturo

"Steps 3 through 47: Profit!" - Steampunk of Nesingwary

Aweena
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Aweena »

try not being able to play your hunter for weeks and weeks i have seen the treads on forums and its really bad hunters are so borked and broken still

If love is an illusion to hell with reality

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

It's been doing this to me too, ever since the last patch. I'll try some of these suggestions tomorrow and see what happens. Blargh!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Darknez

Unread post by Darknez »

I've not been able to log in for the last two patches. Had the same issue before that, but leaving it long enough eventually fixed it.
I've left it for a few hours - and it's not fixed.

I've tried clearing the cache. I've tried different PC's and a Mac. Swapped faction a couple times. Tried logging on twice to kick the first attempt off in some attempt to fix it. Nothing.

I can only hope my "real" hunter doesn't "inherit" this same issue when live is upgraded to 4.0.1!
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Leaving the game on my frozen character and making it disconnect me did the trick. Thanks!!!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Darknez

Unread post by Darknez »

That's one of us at least :P
The Insect Man
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by The Insect Man »

OK - tried the "just leave it until the game kicks you out" with my freeze frame on game entry (after selecting my hunter and just getting the doorway of my HS inn frozen) and it worked for me too - was able to log in and got straight onto my 81 hunter without problem.