Shattrath and Dalaran portals

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Re: Shattrath and Dalaran portals

Unread post by Anyia »

Fayos wrote:I still hope engineers will get some new great stuff to use tho, even an upgraded wormhole with a "Go wherever you like" would suffice.
You mean a "Go wherever you like. Maybe." wormhole, right? :lol:
Murloc Chow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: US:The Scryers, EU: Steamwheedle Cartel

Unread post by Murloc Chow »

Wait, so no Portals in Shatt or Dal!? How is this going to work? When I’m leveling in Outlands I’m going to have to go through the Dark Portal every time? Which is the farthest point from everything in Outlands. So I either have to set my HS to where ever I’m questing at the time, and fly all the way to the Dark Portal every time I need to do something, or set my HS to an Azeroth city, and fly to my current quest hub. Same deal with Dal, that’s going to be agony, it’s annoying enough having to fly or taxi from either city, never mind having to take a slow ass boat to a couple of cities. And the price and hassle of finding a mage (or even finding one period) who is not a jerkwad, I don’t think my wallet can handle the outrageous prices they charge! Not pleased about this new waste of time, not pleased at all.

Can the OP link where exactly you found your quote; I need to read up on this some more before I freak out any more. Thanks.

Artist: Murloc Chow, Medium: msPaint
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm in beta and I can indeed confirm Shattrath and Dalaran no longer have portals.
Murloc Chow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: US:The Scryers, EU: Steamwheedle Cartel

Unread post by Murloc Chow »

Nevermind I found it, still annoyed, I like this quote from the forum:
Yes, I play the game to take up my free time. However, that's just it. I want to play the game, not watch it.

When I'm flying on a flight path, (let's say on a low level character), I'm not actually playing the game. I'm watching the scenery pass by, (assuming I'm at the computer and not afk during the flight). I'm pretty much watching a cut-scene, and not playing the game.

See the point I'm making here? You know all the "not playing" parts?

There is a reason games with too many cut-scenes, known at the MGS syndrome, are criticized. Cut-scenes, or moments where the player isn't required to push buttons should be minimal.

I want to play this game, not watch it.

I know:
"You've done without the portals before in Vanilla."

I don't see the point in responses like this.

People have done without in-door toilets before in the past. Doesn't mean it's a good idea to remove them from everyone's house and force them to use outhouses.

Put the portals back.

Plus I have some 50+ characters, I will see more than enough new content, all I need is the occasional short cut. Especially because I like quest hub hoping, when I've hit a frustrating point in a quest chain, sometimes I want to go somewhere else, do something else clear my head, maybe level a bit, and then get back to it.

But man do I hate the Warcraft Forums, everyone there is an "Elitist" posting on their highest, best geared toon, and looking down on anyone who has a different play style. So what if I don't want to just level one character to 80! So what if I don't want to Raid, or do Dungeons, or PVP for the gear. Thats not fun for me, frankly I find dungeons suffocating and claustrophobic, everytime I even look at at the forums, I feel like I'm playing the game wrong. Fortunatly last time I checked there was no right way to play this game, but it's frustrating going to the public, official Warcraft forums to see if the way I'm reacting to a change is normal, and seeing "those people" flinging derision like they wrote the rules.

Artist: Murloc Chow, Medium: msPaint
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Murloc Chow wrote:Wait, so no Portals in Shatt or Dal!? How is this going to work? When I’m leveling in Outlands I’m going to have to go through the Dark Portal every time?
No, you'll be headed to Shat, because there will be new class trainers in place of the portals.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Oh don't forget that theres going to be a AH in both dal and shatt so there would be no point in going to the faction citys if your lvling in NR or OL etc.
Slickrock2
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock2 »

I just hope the engineering portals still work..
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Slickrock2 wrote:I just hope the engineering portals still work..
Northrend one, yes.

Goblin/gnomish ports, no, at least not on the PTR. Since they took out the specializations, no one can use them. Is this fixed on beta? Or are they possibly planning on giving us something else?

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Nimizar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore - US

Unread post by Nimizar »

Kalliope wrote:Goblin/gnomish ports, no, at least not on the PTR. Since they took out the specializations, no one can use them. Is this fixed on beta? Or are they possibly planning on giving us something else?
Nooooo... not my dimensional rippers/ultrasafe transporters! (yes, I have both, even though I can't use the rippers at the moment).

As far as hubs go, Orgrimmar is likely to come back as the default choice Horde side (central location in Kalimdor, easy access via Zeppelin to Northern and Southern Eastern Kingdoms).

Whether Alliance will favour Stormwind or IF will depend on what happens with the boat routes. If Menethil retains the only direct connection to Theramore, then IF will probably be preferred (since flying mounts in Azeroth will make it a very quick hop over the mountains to Menethil for access to both Northern and Southern Kalimdor).
SgtMakkie
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Twisting Nether EU, Bloodhoof EU

Unread post by SgtMakkie »

I like the idea, it seems Blizz is trying to keep people on different servers and share the load ( load balancing, nice one Blizz ). I'm starting to like the idea actually, it kinda makes sense to me. You travel to Northrend, which is meant to be far away, why should it be so easy to just hope around?? There is no portal from Kalimdor to the Eastern Kingdoms? ( aside
from the dark portal )

SgtMakkie

Sig by Kamoodle

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.

Sonata
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill, Bloodhoof.

Unread post by Sonata »

Would be going for the Stormwind as a hearthing place since my main druid can hop to the other continent with great ease.

On everybody else it might be either Stormwind, Ironforge (highly unlikely because once cata hits it's gonna be laggy) or Darnassus since I like the beautiful scenery and the nightly feeling there.

I hope I'm not the only one who is actually glad to have trainers in the place of portals. I hated wasting a HS cooldown because I had to visit a major capital for my trainer.
Just means they might make Dala a available city from the start like Shatt is today once you enter outland. Besides there sorta is a quick way from Shatt to Silvermoon (unless they take it out) the portal to the Shattered sun grounds takes you pretty fast to Silvermoon and there to UC.

"I'm in SPAAAAACE"

Zanidar
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Venture Co - Nesingwary

Unread post by Zanidar »

The ports aren't need imo, and I will be glad to hang out in Silvermoon/Darnassus/Undercity again
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Nimizar wrote:
Kalliope wrote:Goblin/gnomish ports, no, at least not on the PTR. Since they took out the specializations, no one can use them. Is this fixed on beta? Or are they possibly planning on giving us something else?
Nooooo... not my dimensional rippers/ultrasafe transporters! (yes, I have both, even though I can't use the rippers at the moment).

As far as hubs go, Orgrimmar is likely to come back as the default choice Horde side (central location in Kalimdor, easy access via Zeppelin to Northern and Southern Eastern Kingdoms).

Whether Alliance will favour Stormwind or IF will depend on what happens with the boat routes. If Menethil retains the only direct connection to Theramore, then IF will probably be preferred (since flying mounts in Azeroth will make it a very quick hop over the mountains to Menethil for access to both Northern and Southern Kalimdor).
I know right! :cry:

This morning when I used my ultrasafe transporter, I came through as a gnome! The 1st thing I thought of was Saturo... I got out my devilsaur and ran around dal as the only gnome hunter on campus.. It was awful fun :lol:

In fact, even if I dont need to go to OL, i still use in on cooldown and hearth home just for the fun buffs you sometimes get ;)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­