WoW model viewer help

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

WoW model viewer help

Unread post by Jangalian »

Has anyone gotten theirs to work with the beta files? Or, actually, at all? I downloaded the new 'Dev work" version from the website, but it keeps spitting out the same error message of "cannot locate 'locale-xxxx.mpq" and won't let me use the model list because of that. Please, help. T^T
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
Saturo

Re: WoW model viewer help

Unread post by Saturo »

Actually, I just copied an MPQ and renamed it that... xD

It works without doing that too, though. It's not often you need to use the model list anyway.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

This is the version of WMV I downloaded just recently and now it works with my beta files:
http://code.google.com/p/wowmodelviewer ... p&can=2&q=
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Yes, that's the one I downloaded, but it forces me to select which WoW/data path I want to use when I start it up, and that's when that error message comes up. After that, I can't select any models to play with. >_<' Halp! I'm being super dumb today!
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
Vephriel

Hmm, when I first ran it and had to choose which path I selected the first one, the non-beta one. It still shows the beta models after that though.
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Hm, well it gives me two seperate normal WoW paths, and two WoW beta paths. Three out of four of these will freeze the WMV, and the other gives me an error. I'm at a loss!

Oh btw, the one I'm selecting is a normal WoW path.
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
Vephriel

Not sure then. :( All I know is I chose the first one and it worked.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Could you check the folder structure in your beta directory?

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I'm actually seeing things like the crawling hand pet since updating WMV to the version Veph just posted. :D And that's just from the normal WoW directory. Eeee!

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

That 482 build of WMV crashes for me too, when I choose a beta path. From memory it works if I delete all the included patch files from data/cache/, but leave the patch files from the root data/ folder. Or something like that.

I didn't realize selecting the live path would show the beta files, but I'm guessing it's showing whatever Cata models were included in 4.0.1.

The other problem is that WMV still doesn't apply the patches to the base mpq files, even though they are listed as included. This has been discussed on their forums and I believe they're working towards fixing it. So later models and skins, and modifications to those, don't appear unless you manually apply the patches yourself. I basically copied art.MPQ to my desktop and used Ladik's MPQ Editor to get info out of the patch files and applied them to the base art.MPQ. There are probably much better ways, but I'm new to this and don't know any better ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

I don't know about the WMV specifically, but I have run into issues extracting MPQs when I've tried to do so before they are completely downloaded and updated ("Your World of Warcraft is up to date" on the launcher screen).
Ket Shi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ket Shi »

I am having the exact same issue as Jangalian, but I don't understand anyone's directions here on how to remedy it. Can someone try explaining it more slowly? I don't get a prompt on which MPQ to load off the bat, it simply spits out the error message.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I forgot how i got mine to work but it only shows the non beta stuff lol I am fine with that.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

If it's not asking you which folder to use (regular or beta), you should be able to reset that by deleting your user preferences. They're in a folder inside the program folder. Next time you start it, the first thing it should ask is which program folder to use. At least it does with the later / developer versions.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Actually, I pulled the same trick I do on all malfunctioning electronics. Lol I have no idea, but somehow it works. I can take stuff apart, look inside, wiggle something and put it back together, and somehow it works. That's what I did with WMV. XD I just deleted it, restarted the computer, and reinstalled it, and it works fine.

Hysterical. My whole family can do crazy stuff; I get this neat trick.
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

I had installed the non-dev 64-bit version with the real installer, and when I downloaded the newest dev version I got a crash every time I chose the beta path for the data files. Eventually I realized that the dev version is 32-bit so I uninstalled the 64-bit version (which was already gone, but I still had the option to uninstal so it probably needed to clean up some registry stuff) and the error went away.

No idea if that's related to your problem or not, but it's something else to look at.