[13241] Smells like wolf spirit (new spirit beast!)

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Calomel
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Icecrown

Re: [13241] Smells like wolf spirit (new spirit beast!)

Unread post by Calomel »

Novikova wrote:I honestly hate camping and wouldn't mind having these looks in a common mob. But then school and sometimes work keep me pretty busy so I tend to miss prime camping times.

It's not necessarily a 'gift to a dedicated hunter' as I've been beaten out by some moronic yokel who happens to be BM and goes 'lol only spent 15 minutes looking :D imma name him something stupid lol' after waiting weeks and weeks. It's luck a lot of the time (At least one person here spent a year and 10 months looking for a spirit beast). So I don't think it's as much dedication as it is ... luck. Although that's not intended to demean anyone, but luck is a huge factor as is ability to stay at a computer for hours and hours and not everyone has that.

Edit Edit: Some peeps like camping and that's cool. But it's not my cup of tea and there are plenty of unlucky dedicated BM peeps.

Edit^3: Oh geez, I sound like a grumpasaur. D:
Grumpy-sounding or not, I agree, heheh. I'm one of those people that tries to avoid rare spawns *because* of the competition, the camping and the frustration. I do have rare pets I found on accident and I always feel guilty when I see someone else frantically hunting for them. I would *give* some people my rare pets, if I could! The game is a game, and I feel it should be entertaining. Camping one spot for eight+ hours or competing with other hunters/achievement hounds/idiots is not my idea of entertaining. I'd much rather go out, tame a pet and begin bonding with it and developing it's personality than losing my mind hunting for it. Dedication is great. I really admire the people who have the stomach for it and there are many, many rare pets out there for the truly stout of heart (or the truly insane), but I don't find it fun or any sort of accomplishment. To me, it's luck. Some people have great luck, and some have bad luck.

I wouldn't care if the spirit beast in question had some crazy common model or just wasn't nearly as spectacular looking as any of the others. I wouldn't care if it were even part of some quest and you had to summon it like Echeyakee. I'd like just ONE to be easily obtainable.

For example: You must collect items XYZ and construct a special totem in order to summon and commune with/kill/cleanse the (possibly corrupted or insane) animal spirit of <insertlocationhere>. Said spirit may/may not be hostile, but would be tameable. This would provide an easily obtainable spirit beast for those that just don't CARE about the rarity of our pets.

Despite all of that, I will probably be camping for this wolf anyway. :cry: It's Tanin's reason for existence.

Tanin - Troll - Beast Master - Icecrown, US
Currently Hunting: ...for the pacifier...

Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Rilgon wrote: But but but but it wouldn't be *~SPECIAL~* anymore!

(You know, ignoring the effort that goes into acquiring one and whatnot.)
Well. I use pets because I like them, regardless of how special the skin is. I mean, I honestly see more people with a spirit beast in Dal than say, an owl.

But like I said, I can kind of understand the argument. Still. It wasn't someone's fault they might not have been able to get it the day Blizz allowed the tame necessarily, a lot of it was luck (Being at the right level, having the right gear, having a buddy with a haste buff, etc).

That's not to say I hate having unique pets or that I hate everyone, everything including rainbows, kittens, skittles, cookies and puppies. Or even anything like that. I just don't enjoy camping for all eternity, fending off 99 million hunters, hoping a griefer doesn't roll along and relying on luck and/or the ability to sit continuously at a computer for hours. It's just not my cup of tea (However, I do adore oolong, herbal and green teas). I was shocked that people wouldn't want the ghost wolf ever to be tamable because it would be less ~*SPECIAL*~. Seriously, someone can't have a pet they would adore forever and ever because you wanna be special?

And I like that idea, Calomel. A reasonably challenging quest to summon a special pet visible to the hunter.

Oh well, hopefully I don't sound bitter and I hope your Tanin gets his ghost wolf.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Rilgon wrote:Done. I don't know why I am surprised or upset/frustrated - Blizzard has been full of "say X, do the inverse of X" all throughout Cataclysm - but as someone who actually was gunning for a GTSG but couldn't get a diamond cut or find supplemental help to finish a tame AND doesn't like BM, this cuts really deep. :/
I hear you. :hug:
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Mania wrote: Can other classes see the info when we Beast Lore our own pets?
Not that I know of. I had used Beast Lore on a druid in beast form and no one but me could see the info. I'll try it with a pet this evening.

Edit: And yeah, hugs to all the hunters that wanted one and missed out because of something silly like not getting one of the required items just in time. I'm going to stop harping on the subject and go get some cookies. I apologize for my interference here.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Just saw this thread!!

YAY!!!!!!! OMG SO HAPPY!!!! This wolf model was the original reason I rolled a hunter in the first place...also rolled it the same month the ghost wolf was removed and I didnt find out till later :(

Sooo happy they have brought it back!!

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I think the important thing to remember if you've had the honor of keeping a special or retired pet is that you did go through a lot of work to tame them. No matter what the future brings it will never change the fact that you went to the trouble or had the luck to possess that pet. Nothing can take that away from you. I can see where a sense of disappointment might rise up from no longer having that badge or feat of strength from a retired pet, I truly do, but isn't it better overall that many others can experience that same joy and happiness in obtaining their dream pets and we can share that love as a community? You can still say you were one of the originals, and you will always have that pride. :D Your own memories and exhilaration is far more important than a stranger's opinion, at least I think so. ^^

Not trying to change anyone's minds or alter anyone's perception. I just think it's a brighter way of looking at it. :)
Rilgon

Unread post by Rilgon »

Mania wrote:
Rilgon wrote:Done. I don't know why I am surprised or upset/frustrated - Blizzard has been full of "say X, do the inverse of X" all throughout Cataclysm - but as someone who actually was gunning for a GTSG but couldn't get a diamond cut or find supplemental help to finish a tame AND doesn't like BM, this cuts really deep. :/
I hear you. :hug:
I'll make up for it by taming Huhuran.

MAKE ME SOAK POISON BOLTS, WILL YOU? SCREW YOU YOU GET IN MY STABLE AND I MIGHT GIVE YOU FRUIT SNACKS IF I FEEL BENEVOLENT. :headbang:
Bellatryx
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Bellatryx »

Rilgon wrote:^ Using the term "we" when it is far from "we" (i.e. inferring all Hunters) is pretty goddamn insulting (at least to me), FYI.
Novikova wrote:I honestly hate camping and wouldn't mind having these looks in a common mob.
But but but but it wouldn't be *~SPECIAL~* anymore!

(You know, ignoring the effort that goes into acquiring one and whatnot.)

I'm not 100% sure if that was completely directed at me.. and if so.. I have to admit it's pretty damn insulting.

I never got the chance to tame the ghost hydra or the ghost wolf. I mean "we" as in the hunter community as in "we" had the chance/ability to tame them once before but maybe "we" didn't get to because "we" weren't high enough level or "we" didn't have a shammy friend or leather-working.

Ok, I'm chill..

I don't think anything should be 100% exclusive. I don't think anything should have a small window of availability. (ie. the original ghosty wolf).. it might not be fair to say to those who actually got the original ones but it isn't fair to those who were interested and were only a level 40 hunter when they were out. Also that I got to have my worgen pet Remus, thinking I was going to be an awesome few who got to keep a special put but having him ripped away from me because they planned to make worgen a race.. I know it's not the same thing but I loved that damn pet =/

I mean.. Bellatryx and Remus.. <3

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Vephriel wrote:I think the important thing to remember if you've had the honor of keeping a special or retired pet is that you did go through a lot of work to tame them. No matter what the future brings it will never change the fact that you went to the trouble or had the luck to possess that pet. Nothing can take that away from you. I can see where a sense of disappointment might rise up from no longer having that badge or feat of strength from a retired pet, I truly do, but isn't it better overall that many others can experience that same joy and happiness in obtaining their dream pets and we can share that love as a community? You can still say you were one of the originals, and you will always have that pride. :D Your own memories and exhilaration is far more important than a stranger's opinion, at least I think so. ^^

Not trying to change anyone's minds or alter anyone's perception. I just think it's a brighter way of looking at it. :)
That's how I've always looked at it. I had the thrill of taming the first Ghost Wolf for my server, and I'm one of the last 3 Hunters with it on my realm. I don't need it as a public trophy, I know it's special to me period.

Like I said, I'm glad it's back.

To clarify my first post though (cause I know it can be taken wrong) I'm only saddened it's a spirit beast because it makes it more complicated family thing (AKA Two different families, same skin). While it's really minor and something that doesn't, overall, affect my gameplay... it does irk my OCD a bit XD

But I fully support hunters finally getting this skin :D I've always been pro-more ghost wolves.

However,
I probably won't be picking this guy up. I'll be too busy going after Sambas XD
I don't think anything should be 100% exclusive. I don't think anything should have a small window of availability. (ie. the original ghosty wolf).. it might not be fair to say to those who actually got the original ones but it isn't fair to those who were interested and were only a level 40 hunter when they were out.
Truth is, the game is full of exclusives. That's how some rewards work. The ZA bear, the ZG tiger (in cataclysm), original Naxxramas invasions, numerous feats of strength, certain pets other than Ghost wolf, like the Brown Wolfs of LBRS that color shifted or even the ghost hydra...

Things come and go, that's the way its been in WoW. Blizzard didn't intend for there to be ghost wolves that were tameable for 3 weeks, they thought it would've been ok to have for awhile. 3 weeks later, they changed their mind. They didn't just decide to reward lucky people in a 3 week period who could do it (aka a time-reward like the ZA bear).

You wouldn't take away a players ZA bear just cause you were level 50 at the time and couldn't do ZA in time. As I said before, there's lots of instances a majority of players miss out on something because of their levels at the time of the item's implementation/removal. The Ghost Wolf isn't unique in that fact.

The only reason one pet was actually removed from Hunters, the Worgen pet, was because it was an actual humanoid character and later there would be playable Worgen. Ghost Wolves and all the other previously mentioned items are not the same case.
Last edited by Rikaku on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ikult
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (horde); Moon Guard (alli)

Unread post by Ikult »

I'm not trying to sound harsh; it may not seem fair to people who don't have access to every pet that's been unintended, but that's the way of MMO's.
I will also add that I'm one of MANY hunters who was of the correct level to tame a pet, but couldn't get the help / gear / etc needed to tame the pet, and so I lost out. It's easy to fall into sour grapes (I have myself many times over the Ghost Wolf), but I also console myself with: 1) it is just a game and 2) I have special "common" pets that are just as precious to me as those rare available-for-a-day pets (I still love and adore my Vilebranch black wolf from Hinterlands!).

Also, as the owner of some items or pets that aren't available anymore, I am quite proud of them, though it's only from being in the right place at the right time at the right character level. Not everyone wears the original Tabard of the Argent Dawn, and I'm pleased I have one- but mostly because I've always been a fan of the Argent Dawn faction from original wow and I feel honoured rp-wise to wear their tabard; not because it's rare nowadays.

Enjoy what you have now; there will be many "happy accidents" in the future and will give us all an opportunity to get strange and unusual items and pets, I promise! ;)
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Saturo wrote:This annoys me. If they change our old ghost wolves into spirit beasts, I will strangle them. I'D LIKE TO USE MINE, THANKYOUVERYMUCH. -.-

Nice find for those of you without a ghost wolf, too bad it's a spirit beast. -.-
I'm glad the skin is tamable again, but I agree I don't want my grimtotem spirit guide to turn into a spirit beast. Keep him a wolfie.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

I suspect the chance that existing wolves turn into spirit beasts is very low.

Regardless, we have some hunters with the old ghost wolf in the beta so they can keep an eye on it for us. If the old ghost wolf were to get changed over, we will find out about it and raise a (polite!) stink. ;)

But seriously, I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. There is always time later to worry.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The people with original ghost wolves is such a tiny proportion, I doubt it's even on Blizzard's radar. And in the heat of group pvp, it'll still be confusing if a hunter has one of these new guys out compared to a shammy with their spirit wolves. A few times I've actually wondered who the other enhance shammy was in the raid, only to realize it was a hunter pet ;) By the way, while I think this guy is an awesome addition, my enhancement shammy (who has a mind of his own) says scr** you all! :D
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

I believe a couple of people in this thread have already confirmed that their grimtotem spirit guides are still wolves in the beta...

So I think any talk about Blizzard "better not do this ___________" is kinda of a moot point at this juncture. Nothing is set in stone though and anything can be changed at any time, but as of right now it looks like Karoma (AKA Karma) is a spirit beast while the original ghost wolf is still a wolf.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Daniya

Unread post by Daniya »

Rikaku wrote:Just to add to the conversation.

No, the old ghost wolves (Grimtotem Spirit Guides) are not becoming Spirit Beasts. I just checked my beta copy, pulled out my Ghost Wolf and... He's still a Ghost wolf.
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o270 ... 130930.jpg

It's neat that they brought back the old Ghost Wolf model, I'm glad other hunters can get it. I'm a little bummed its a Spirit Beast though. It makes it so conflicting now.
Thanks for finding that out Rikaku! Funny thing is my fiance looked at your screenshot and said [of your wolfs name] "That's a bears name!". I have my acturis named Odin, my ghostwolf is named Apollo.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Ah sorry. I didn't realize this thread was seven pages before I posted. Thanks for quoting that Daniya.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Daniya

Unread post by Daniya »

Np, I was having a little freak out about my ghostwolf becoming a spirit beast too.

Glad to see that for now they aren't. (I really prefer SV)
Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Baeglum

Unread post by Dakonic »

YES!!! I fell in love with this skin from the moments I saw it. *gets up and does a happy dance*
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Dakonic
Formally known as "celestial88"
Image Image Image Image
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Rikaku wrote: Truth is, the game is full of exclusives. That's how some rewards work. The ZA bear, the ZG tiger (in cataclysm), original Naxxramas invasions, numerous feats of strength, certain pets other than Ghost wolf, like the Brown Wolfs of LBRS that color shifted or even the ghost hydra...
This is, I think, the crux of it. Some people like the idea that they can get something unique to them, but others think it should be available to all. I understand both points of view but I'm in the second camp. DIFFICULT to get, sure--the challenge and triumph of having a rare pet is great! But impossible, due to just not being there at the right time? I dislike that idea. (The Naxx invasions are another story really, as it's a known temporary event at the time, and didn't grant much reward.)

I actually don't like the idea of the ANY pet being made untameable, nor the ZG mounts getting removed, etc. The only exception is, I understand that certain achievement-based things get removed as an attainable thing once the content in question becomes trivialized.

In any case, I think that the devs are making a huge effort--they listened, they heard repeatedly how much we love the Spirit Wolves, and they said "Hell. Yeah, it's a shaman's wolf too now, but you know what? The hunters always loved this guy. We have a Spirit Beast family now--these fit there. Let's add them, for all the people who've been asking." They put in the effort of making it something that won't devalue the rarity of the existing wolves, and will make the hunters who've always wanted this skin happy. I think it's a beautifully done compromise, and I applaud them.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Vephriel wrote:I think the important thing to remember if you've had the honor of keeping a special or retired pet is that you did go through a lot of work to tame them. No matter what the future brings it will never change the fact that you went to the trouble or had the luck to possess that pet. Nothing can take that away from you. I can see where a sense of disappointment might rise up from no longer having that badge or feat of strength from a retired pet, I truly do, but isn't it better overall that many others can experience that same joy and happiness in obtaining their dream pets and we can share that love as a community? You can still say you were one of the originals, and you will always have that pride. :D Your own memories and exhilaration is far more important than a stranger's opinion, at least I think so. ^^

I agree with this. :)

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine